New home theater duo

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Hey guys, will be upgrading my old Avpa1hd to a new Marantz 8802a and also upgrading my Yamaha projector to the jvc x7500 next week if all goes to plan.Has anyone compared the jvc x5500 and the x7500.Just wondering if there is a big difference.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
what's your screen size and viewing distance?

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
what's your screen size and viewing distance?
I have a 110 inch 16x9 which i think the 5500 would be good for, but a 140 inch has been on my mind for a while and so i am seeing if i could stretch my funds out a little for a new screen also.I think the 7500 would suit a 140inch screen better due to its contrast but if the 5500 will do the job then i will consider it too. Viewing distance is at the first row of seats 3.5m and second row is 5.0m but i can increase the viewing distance easily to 4.5 and 6.0

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a 110 inch 16x9 which i think the 5500 would be good for, but a 140 inch has been on my mind for a while and so i am seeing if i could stretch my funds out a little for a new screen also.I think the 7500 would suit a 140inch screen better due to its contrast but if the 5500 will do the job then i will consider it too. Viewing distance is at the first row of seats 3.5m and second row is 5.0m but i can increase the viewing distance easily to 4.5 and 6.0
Just due to increase of native resolution from 720p (actually even less than that) to native 1080p (and a bit fake 4k) will make huge difference for you due to screen size and distance.
Regardless of PJ model, I hope your room is already been tightly light controlled (ie darked) it could make more difference than a small difference in contrast or light output.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Just due to increase of native resolution from 720p (actually even less than that) to native 1080p (and a bit fake 4k) will make huge difference for you due to screen size and distance.
Regardless of PJ model, I hope your room is already been tightly light controlled (ie darked) it could make more difference than a small difference in contrast or light output.
Yea the room is a dedicated building with sound controlled linings with no windows and very dark when lights are out.All the comparison info on the JVC x5500 and 7500 on the internet is in German.I can't find any comparison info in English.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have been using PJ since 1992 (my 1st PJ was a $10K SharpVision DLP), but I'm no expert and probably less critical than some people when it comes to PJ. As long as the picture is bright and vibrant/beautiful, I am happy. :D

And if I were deciding on the 2 JVC PJ, I would go for 5500 since they are both pretty much the same overall to me in spec, especially the same lumens.

If the 7500 were 2,000 or 2,500 lumens, then I would go with the 7500. But since they both have the same brightness, I would go with the 5500.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
I have been using PJ since 1992 (my 1st PJ was a $10K SharpVision DLP), but I'm no expert and probably less critical than some people when it comes to PJ. As long as the picture is bright and vibrant/beautiful, I am happy. :D

And if I were deciding on the 2 JVC PJ, I would go for 5500 since they are both pretty much the same overall to me in spec, especially the same lumens.

If the 7500 were 2,000 or 2,500 lumens, then I would go with the 7500. But since they both have the same brightness, I would go with the 5500.
Yep, that's exactly what i am going to do my friend and plus that way i can afford a 130 inch cinemascope screen.The 7500 would probably have deeper blacks but my room is very dark with the lights out and the brightness of the 5500 will be bright enough.Also,i am going from my Yamaha projector that's not even 1080p so i will see a huge difference compared to that, so i am happy.I totally agree with you there mate as you hit the nail on the head and basically told me what a pro has told me anyway.You can now consider yourself a pro on projectors.:)No need to spend the extra 2k on the 7500.I will put it towards a bigger and better screen.As soon as it happens which is hopefully soon then i will post some pics. Cheers once again all for your help as its much appreciated.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
The 7500 is going to be the best value for your money. If you can afford it, go with the 7500.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The 7500 is going to be the best value for your money. If you can afford it, go with the 7500.
Do the JVC PJ have Motorized Lens Focus and Shift, or just manual focus and shift?

That's the primary thing (manual focus and lens shift) I don't like about my BenQ PJ and also the new 4K BenQ PJ (8 million pixels).

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
If i never needed to replace my AVPA1 then i would go the 7500 for the extra 2k in my country.Having said that, i need the 8802a so the best value for myself would be the 5500 at this present time.I would like the 7500 but my funds tell me otherwise. As it is i can get the 8802a marantz plus 5500jvc and the matching mounting bracket plus a 130inch scope screen for a package price which is hard to beat.Prices are also different in Australia to USA.I think i will be happy with the 5500.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis