New Home Theater build

J

jboswell

Audiophyte
I am currently trying to build a mid range home theater system for myself little by little. I am well informed on car audio but am in the dark when it come to home speakers/receivers etc. I don't know reputable brands or what I should look for when building this system.I've been reading through the site but still feel lost. What this system needs to accomplish is 5.1 (i'll upgrade again before I'll be able to use 7.1), airplay, being able to accommodate TV, Bluray, Xbox, and an occasional laptop if at all possible.

Right now I have 1,000 to spend on a receiver and two tower speakers (maybe a center), and later another 500+ for bookshelf, center, and sub woofer.

Obviously, I'd like to get the best price possible but I don't know which websites are reputable or anything so I have been shopping on amazon.
The following is my potential set up:
Denon AVR-1613
Energy CF-30
maybe a Energy CC-5

Like I said I'm not too familiar with home theater speakers so I'm open to all criticism and suggestions. I just don't want to have a good product that will last me the next 5-10 years

Thanks!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Good choices but two suggestions.

1) DO get the center that matches the front mains now. They should match and there's no guarantee a match will be easily available when you finally decide to go for it.

2) If you're even remotely considering going from 5.1 to 7.1, buy that 7.1receiver now. That way, you won't HAVE to replace the receiver, just add additional speakers when the time is right.

J

jboswell

Audiophyte
If I do ever go to 7.1 I will be financially able to buy a whole new set up so I'm pretty set on 5.1 right now. Does the set up look good as is?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Out of all the thousands of combinations possible out there, your choice is as good as any.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If I do ever go to 7.1 I will be financially able to buy a whole new set up so I'm pretty set on 5.1 right now. Does the set up look good as is?
My experience is that 5.1 is plenty and 7.1 isn't worth the extra money or effort (unless you have a very large room).

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I agree

My experience is that 5.1 is plenty and 7.1 isn't worth the extra money or effort (unless you have a very large room).
You need plenty of room behind the main seating for the rear speakers to do it right.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Denon AVR 3312 CI is looking real good a $549 at Amazon, one day only sale, they should move fast. This receiver is future proof and has pre-amp outputs if you ever plan on expansion to outboard amps and speakers. The Infinity Primus speakers are a good deal right now, Primus 363 mains @$398, actually the entire Primus line is on sale at Crutchfield and Harmon audio. I think the 363 is one of the best sounding speaker pair at that price and speakers costing more also. Hope this helps.

J

jboswell

Audiophyte
Thanks for the help. I will look into the infinity speakers as well.

It is much appreciated!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Denon AVR 3312 CI is looking real good a $549 at Amazon, one day only sale, they should move fast. This receiver is future proof and has pre-amp outputs if you ever plan on expansion to outboard amps and speakers. The Infinity Primus speakers are a good deal right now, Primus 363 mains @$398, actually the entire Primus line is on sale at Crutchfield and Harmon audio. I think the 363 is one of the best sounding speaker pair at that price and speakers costing more also. Hope this helps.
+1

Yes, I would immediately grab that Denon 3312 for $550 & a pair of P363 for $398. Immediately. Like yesterday. :D

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR3312CI-Integrated-Surround-Receiver/dp/B004Z50L6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339783300&sr=8-1&keywords=denon+3312

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P363BK/Infinity-Primus-P363.html

Then add the Infinity Primus Center & bookshelf surrounds when you have the money.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Mark, how far are you talking about behind listening area?
Jeff
The rear surrounds should be fairly high up on the back wall, facing forwards. A couple of feet at least so the sound propogates into the listening area in a fairly "realistic" manner.

Msny hsve tried direcly above the listening area facing down, on the floor behind the couch facint up, etc... You get the idea.

J

jboswell

Audiophyte
I ended up getting the Denon 1613 with two infinity P363 speakers for a total of 850. I am very pleased with my purchase and recommend this set up for any beginner.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis