New Home Theater Build, Dimensions help

Ryan Laposky

Ryan Laposky

Junior Audioholic
Hello,

I am building a new house and am wondering thoughts on home theater size and what dimensions would be good. The current room on my architect plan is ~16 ft length x 12 ft width and I believe 9 ft ceilings. Any insight if I should stay the same or go bigger? Thanks!

Ryan

A

AVsion

Audiophyte
Hi, what size of screen you will be using? will it be projection or LED TV? how many people maximum at one time in the room?

Ryan Laposky

Ryan Laposky

Junior Audioholic
Will be using projector. Screen size depends on final room width and depth. I would like 110 inch screen if possible. Would like to have two rows with 3 seats in each row at least. Are my dimensions too small? I do have another space I could use that is 14 ft wide by about 17 ft deep. Would this be better dimensions? Thanks!

Ryan

A

AVsion

Audiophyte
Hi Ryan,

The 16 ft length x 12 ft width room is too small to fit the screen and seats specified, for 110" 16:9 (W 96" x H 54" OR W 2435mm x H 1370mm) projection screen and two rows of 3 seats I would go for the second room option with 14 ft wide by about 17 ft deep. this option you will feel more space, have the option to choose the screen mounted on any wall (considering doors, windows and enough access etc) and allow more room for the seats and equipment cabinet. this is also taking into account the sound system, that will allow you to fit 5.1 and 7.1 speaker layout (for 7.1 you will need more depth) and use multiple subwoofers for bass management. for the best sound you might want to look into AURO 3D (personally prefer over Dolby Atmos).

If you like to know more about the screen size calculation this is a good rule of thumb

What is the 2 to 6 rule?
The 2 to 6 Rule is an accepted industry standard that assists in determining the best size projection screen when multiple row seating is in play, such as boardrooms or cinemas.

As follows:

The closest viewing position should be no more than 2 x the height of the screen, with the farthest viewing position being no less than 6 x the height.

Example

The closest viewer is 3m away from the screen, and the furthest viewer is 8m.

3m divided by 2 = 1.5m Maximum Screen Height
8m divided by 6 = 1.3m Minimum Screen Height

Hope that helps

Cheers Yariv

www.avsion.com.au

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis