itschris

itschris

Long story short, I had to adjust some wiring behind my BDI cabinet where all my equipment is. What a disaster. The two things really making a mess are the HDMI cables... Some too long and all too bulky and stiff, my network patch cords...again too long...and RG cables... Just the standard stiff white ones.

For the HDMI, I saw these slim Vizio cables at Walmart. They look like Redmere cables but I don't think they are. Speaking of which, what's the verdict on the Redmere cables from Monoprice. I need 2 or 3 2/3ft cables and maybe 4ft. These thin flexible cables would really make things cleaner behind the cabinet.

ive seen more flexible RG cable an I assume these are just fine to replace the the standard super stiff cables the cable company gives you...correct?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For short runs, Bluejeans offers their "FE" line:

For short runs, our recommended cable is the Series-FE. If you've read much about HDMI cable online, you know that most manufacturers use wire gage as their primary indicator of quality, because in the absence of any other measure of cable quality, people tend to assume that larger-gage cable will perform better than smaller-gage cable. This is clearly true for power applications like speaker cable; it's really not as meaningful for high-speed data applications like HDMI, where signal integrity is more important than mere signal amplitude. The Series FE brings Belden's bonded-pair technology, with its low skew and tight impedance control, to small-gage cable and significantly outperform conventional twisted-pair designs. These cables, though made in 28 AWG and therefore quite thin and flexible, are certified under Category 2 ("high-speed") to 15 feet, considerably longer than any other 28 AWG HDMI cable, and to 25 feet in Category 1. While a larger HDMI cable of the same design (our Series-1, below) will outperform it in distance runs, when extreme distance is not required the Series-FE will provide identical performance to the much heavier, stiffer, larger-gage HDMI cable, without the difficulty of bending and fitting that the larger HDMI cable can present. The Series FE is rated CM for in-wall installation (higher than the typical CL2 or CL3). View our full spec sheet for this product.

itschris

itschris

My HDMI cables are from Bluejean and Monoprice... Certainly not overpriced monster style. I wnt to replace them on for the neatness factor to clean up the mess which is only going to get worse with addition of the HTPC I'm going to build.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Chris, I have several Redmere cables from Monoprice, all six feet (I think). They work great, and they are amazingly more easy to route than the thicker stuff. Just pay attention to the connectors as you route them, as they are directional.

itschris

itschris

Chris, I have several Redmere cables from Monoprice, all six feet (I think). They work great, and they are amazingly more easy to route than the thicker stuff. Just pay attention to the connectors as you route them, as they are directional.
I just ran up to Walmart to check out those super slim Vizio cables. Of course they were out of the four footers but there was an open 6 footer and I have to say it was really nice. Super thin, super flexible, and really good looking. I don't think they come shorter than 4ft though. I could actually use a couple two or three footers more than anything.

Adam, I think I'm going to follow your lead and go with those Monoprice Redmere cables.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I can second the redmere recommendation. Switched everything in my system out to them I believe about 8 months ago and have had no issues at all. Super easy to route.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
My HDMI cables are from Bluejean and Monoprice... Certainly not overpriced monster style. I wnt to replace them on for the neatness factor to clean up the mess which is only going to get worse with addition of the HTPC I'm going to build.
Anything over a dollar a foot is overpriced. I have never spent even that much (including shipping), and I have never had any problems with any HDMI cable.

itschris

itschris

Anything over a dollar a foot is overpriced. I have never spent even that much (including shipping), and I have never had any problems with any HDMI cable.
Thers no problem with my cables. I just want the newer more flexible ones for cleaner routing in an ever increasingly cramped cabinet. Most of my HDMI is from Monoprice...not exactly a "snake oil, steel your money on overpriced junk" kind company. I'm glad you have no problems with your cables.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I ordered four redmere from mono and actually thought they could not possibly work as they should being they were so thin and flexible but they are fine and routing them around was a piece of cake.I like them and think others will as well.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I also have ultra thin redmeres and they are excellent.

itschris

itschris

Update: Got my cables... and they're really nice

So first I gotta say hats off to Sewell Direct. I order these around 2pm on Friday and here they are. Other companies should pay attention to service like that. I ordered these because I couldn't deal with the super stiff HDMI cables I had which were too long and too bulky. It was a mess behind my cabinet and those cables didn't help.

So after some research, I found this company and immediately dug how their cables looked. The new Redmere technology is awesome. You can see from the pics that these are super thin and super flexible and they just look awesome.

I also bought some short speaker cables to go from my wall plate to my receiver for the surround and from my center. I made my own cables and after looking at them and poorly I did them, I'm certainly glad I didn't quit my day job. I'm actually surprised my surrounds even played. Like the HDMI cables, these look really nice. They're nothing particularly special, but they're clean and nice looking and will be perfect for the 3 short runs behind my cabinet.

I really dig this company and will be ordering from them again. All their stuff is packaged nice and neat and again, I'm shocked at how fast they came to my house. Before anyone gives me **** about why I didn't just buy the cheapest HDMI out there and that I wasted my money... I want to make clear that I bought them solely for looks and wire management... NOT because I believe these will make some monumental increase in my PQ.

Click for a larger image...

The packaging:
NewWires1.jpg

The super thin super flexible, extremely good looking HDMI cable:
NewWires2.jpg

... and here are the 3ft speaker cables:
NewWires3.jpg

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
You have never spent more than 3 dollars for a 3 ft HDMI cable? That's cheaper than the old mono price(before Redmere, whatever that is), and makes Blue Jeans cable over priced. I guess I'd bed to differ. I've had mixed results with my mono price stuff. The projector mount was very user unfriendly and the projector would wobble upon any attempt to move it. The speaker mounts, ditto. I had one out of 3 HDMI cables fail in my theater and the banana plug's spring ends wore out and partly collapsed after 2 years of use and I didn't move them around at all.

Maybe I've just had bad luck, but I wouldn't repeat buy any of those products from them.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
HDMI looks pretty flexible, how are the speaker cables some what stiff or are they flexible as well ?

itschris

itschris

HDMI looks pretty flexible, how are the speaker cables some what stiff or are they flexible as well ?
I'd say they're pretty flexible... not like the HDMI cables which are actually quite similar to the diameter and flexibility of an iPad charger. I'm really happy with everything I bought.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I'd say they're pretty flexible... not like the HDMI cables which are actually quite similar to the diameter and flexibility of an iPad charger. I'm really happy with everything I bought.
Yeah thats what my redmere cables are like, I just think it takes "all" of the stress off of our equipment at the plug in points and of course routing is a breeze.

itschris

itschris

Yeah thats what my redmere cables are like, I just think it takes "all" of the stress off of our equipment at the plug in points and of course routing is a breeze.
I ripped my system all apart a couple of days ago and have been cleaning and re-wiring everything. The new HDMI cables are unbelievable. What a huge difference. They went from the most obnoxious of the cables to the easiest.

The direction Source/TV ends through me a bit when going from my AVR to my TV. In that case, the TV was the TV and AVR the source. All the others, the AVR was the "TV"

I drank a bit too much wine and just couldn't seem to wrap my head around that for the first few minutes. Got it straight now though and just have a bit more to do. I'll work on it some more tomorrow. This has literally taken hours to do so far.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis