C

Chazzy

Audioholic Intern
Hello...Im am new to the audiophile world and Im trying to get some direction through the vast amount of information available online. Im in the process of building a room onto our house that is will be about 16x20 or so. I am primarily interested in using my iPod or computer as my main source of music for right now. I was hoping for some advice on iPod source units such as Peachtree and Krell Kid. What would be good speakers in a room this size for under $1500..im trying to stay around 5k for everything. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

B

Bruins44

Audiophyte
You may want to explore the iPod docks from receiver/amp manufacturers such as NAD, Marantz, Denon, etc. I have owned or heard all three of these manufacturers docks and was impressed with the quality of sound from them. I recently heard the peachtree iDAC. For the price difference ($1,000 vs $150), I would suggest putting the cost difference in to other components of your system such as the amp/receiver or speakers.

You could always upgrade the iPod dock at a later date. If you are interested in hi-res audio, 24/96 or higher, as far as I know, iPods cannot transmit at the higher bit rates (someone please correct me if I am wrong). Therefore, you may want to shift funds to utilizing computer audio for hi resolution playback.

Part of the fun in purchasing a system is auditioning gear.

Good luck.

D

DrBoost

Audiophyte
I have to agree. Since an iPod is never going to give you high quality, I'd invest in speakers and even cableing so when you upgrade one day, that stuff is already done.

J

JShe

Audiophyte
I'd bet that almost every receiver comes with an Ipod dock these days. At least I see them included with everything I've looked at lately.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I have to agree. Since an iPod is never going to give you high quality, I'd invest in speakers and even cableing so when you upgrade one day, that stuff is already done.
Well, an iPod is capable of high quality (lossless), and investing in cables is a waste of money. Other than that, I agree with you.

OP, keep reading and researching. You have COUNTLESS options are far as speakers go- you need to go audition some gear.

D

DrBoost

Audiophyte
I suppose an iPod is capable of high-ish quality, I've never heard an iPod produce anything near reference quality.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
and investing in cables is a waste of money
got that right

Put your money into speakers instead of cabling. Check out Blue Jean Cable or Monoprice for your cabling needs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...iPod is never going to give you high quality...
I listen to mp3. Depending on the original source, they can sound extremely good. Not on paper or spec, but in real life, they can still sound great.

Important thing are the speakers. Absolutely most important.

Not cables, wires, DAC, amps. Don't want "junk", of course. Just don't need too much $$ here.

Put the $$ in the speakers. Go with BJC or CablesToGo, etc.

Audition some and get a feel for them. Compare them.

Denon AVR has Airplay for iPod streaming.

DENON US

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR3312CI-Integrated-Surround-Receiver/dp/B004Z50L6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329703162&sr=8-1

D

Doc Greene

Audiophyte
Hello.... What would be good speakers in a room this size for under $1500..im trying to stay around 5k for everything. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I recommend Paradigm speakers. As an audio professional I can tell you that whatever you spend on a Paradigm would be 1/3 to 1/10 of the money for any other equally good sounding speaker. I have Apogees and Krells in my main system and Paradigm Studio 100s with Anthem in my other system. I like to listen to either system with pleasure but the latter of the two cost less than 10% of the Krell Apogee system. I am not bragging (maybe a little) but I wanted you to understand I know good sound and you may trust my judgment here. Studio 10s at 549 each or Studio 20s @ 699.00 each would be excellent mated up with an Anthem MX300 @ 999.00 so that'e only about $2100.00 for the main part. If you need to spend less, the Paradigm Atom monitors @ 249.00 each will smoke some $1000.00 speakers I have heard. :D

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I certainly have no problem with Paradigm speakers, but I don't necessarily think the buck stops with them. You have lots of options and a BIG part of the fun in outfitting a new room with gear is the shopping. Get out and listen to some stuff. Believe me, you'll have much more pride in your new setup and enjoy it exponentially.

I'm no audio professional, and I don't mean to brag, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. :p:D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Hello...Im am new to the audiophile world and Im trying to get some direction through the vast amount of information available online. Im in the process of building a room onto our house that is will be about 16x20 or so. I am primarily interested in using my iPod or computer as my main source of music for right now. I was hoping for some advice on iPod source units such as Peachtree and Krell Kid. What would be good speakers in a room this size for under $1500..im trying to stay around 5k for everything. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Go listen to speakers. Once you find what you like, figure out what equipment you'll need to drive it properly in your room at the levels you like to listen at. Most modern equipment have a provision for an Ipod.

C

Chazzy

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for all the great advice....has anyone owned any of the Magnepan Q series speakers?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis