New guy seeking advice

C

Calliesdad

Enthusiast
Hey guys, I'm a very new guy to home theater. I'm just skimming the surface with my knowledge. Anyways about a year ago I bought a home theater in a box. A denon set to be exact. Te model for the reciever is (avr 1312).
I was pretty impressed as this was my first dip in theater. Well now I am wanting to upgrade for more sound and the fact that we just moved into a rental and the landlords aren't to keen on drilling holes and such. So I really am thinking
Maybe a set of floor standing, a center and a sub. Looking very hard at the jbl studio 1 studio series 190. My thing is are they pretty good floor speakers? Good bass response? Clarity? Also for the specs that my amp puts out should I get a few more watts per channel to run these?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would skip the JBL 190s. I like JBL, but their entry level home audio speakers are bleh. I am interested in hearing their higher level Studio series, the 590s, they actually use horn loaded compression tweeters so they might have some dynamic range and good off axis response, maybe. In your budget range, I would look into the Infinity Primus series, especially if you have a Fry's nearby. A lot of guys like the Pioneer SP series speakers if you need to save some money. A nice looking speaker on sale right now is the EMP Tek E55Ti towers, with its beefy center channel, might be worth splurging for a set of those. Since you mention landlord, you might want to back off on a beefy sub, as it will transmit bass through the walls. The EMP subs ought to do fine. One thing I would mention is, if you are in an apartment, you might consider giving the subwoofer near-field placement, which is where you place the sub very close to the listening position, like an end table type placement or right behind the seat. This way, you will get a nice bass sound and the sub isn't as likely to bother the neighbors as much since you don't have to turn it up as loud to hear the same volume level. If you can't run the wire that far, try this Rokitfish wireless subwoofer transmitter.

C

Calliesdad

Enthusiast
Well we rent a house so I do want something with some bump and some loudness to it. Not looking to spend a fortune and I don't have a really tuned ear as y'all experienced members do. Being that I have only had a theater in a box lol. What do you mean the jbl are bleh?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want some thumping, I would start with the $600 range 12" ported subs. The subs I would look at are the Hsu VTF2 mk4, Rythmik FV12r, and Outlaw LFM-1 Plus. They are a great combination of sound quality, output, and extension. Below that range subs start to make compromises that you really don't have to have golden ears to hear.

As for the JBL's being bleh, they are probably fine speakers, they just don't look like they are doing anything special. I have listened to them at Fry's, but I won't form an opinion on them from that experience since they were probably poorly setup and in a noisy environment. The EMPtek speakers cost about the same and I think they might be a bit better.

You might think about skipping tower speakers and going for bookshelf speakers instead. The chief advantage of tower speakers over bookshelf is their deeper bass extension, but since you are going to be using a subwoofer, you won't be using their extra extension. If you are interested in bass, it would make more sense to put that extra money to a better subwoofer. Some bookshelf speakers you might look at are the HTD Level Threes, Hsu HB-1s, and the Ascend CBM170s. You would want to pair those up with their respective center speakers.

C

Calliesdad

Enthusiast
im pretty set on some tower and coming in at 199$ each the jbls look prettygood? you think that the denon I have will do well at pushing them? or should I upgrade? considering a pioneer vsx-1122 just wondering if it will help me out at all or if I would be better off just sticking with the denon

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
I'm with Hellcommute I just recently bought the pioneer setup minus the sub. And it is very impressive for the price point.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis