New Group or Artist you like?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
In the persistent search for new and entertaining music to listen to, do any of you have a favorite new(ish) artist/group/band to turn us on to? You might want to provide a link, if possible, so that we can all hear samples of the music.

Here's mine. It's a Brit group who put together their chops in Canada. They're called Medicine Hat (after the Canadian town). They've been around for a couple of years, but are just now getting any play in the U.S.

http://www.medicinehat.co.uk/ (make sure your speakers are on when you enter the website...;)

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Mentioned before but doesn't hurt to mention again. Here's a couple finds from cdbaby.com and one from a recommendation on another site.

Chris Orbach's "Safely Through the Night" - (yes he's the son of the late Jerry Orbach), draws on folk, rock, and jazz influences. Excellent song writer, with some very cool lyrical hooks. Very talented band, includes a horn section.
http://chrisorbach.com/

Julie Gribble - "So Typical" - First saw her on The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson. Nice voice, sounding a little bit like Natalie Merchant at times, but not on all her songs. Mrs. Hawkeye really digs her music and has been trading many emails with her. She's touring, so a roadtrip may be in our plans if she ends up nearby.
http://www.juliegribble.com/home.html

Kino - Really digging this band lately. Prog/pop sound. Crazy, funny song "Swimming in Women" and a somewhat classic Asia sounding "Leave a Light On" highlight this disc.
http://www.kinomusic.com/

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
Hoopy Frood: sounds aliitle like Pink Floyd / Morecheeba.
you can listen to it at " Amboworld " or on their site " Hoopy Frood"

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
He's certainly not new but he doesn't get much ink.

Frank Black (former pixies front man). His '05 cd "Honeycomb" is a great disc.

For a sampler, check cuts "I burn today", "honeycomb" and "my lifes in storage"

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
One discovery I made a while back that I keep coming back to is A3 (short for Alabama 3). They're a British band who have some kind of obsession with the music from the Southern US. They're this crazy combination of rock, country, electronica and gospel. Yes, that's right. And you've probably heard them before. They do the theme song to "The Sopranos", the song called, "Woke Up This Morning", which is way different on their album. I've only their first two albums, and they totally knock me out. I'm always trying to find their other ones, but it's near impossible here in Toronto. Check 'em out sometime.

Oh, and they do a WICKED cover of "Hotel California"!

cheers,
supervij

R

rak_32

Banned
JVC said:
I like a couple of songs by Gnarls Barkley..............."Crazy" and "Smiley Faces".
Hear them here: http://www.myspace.com/gnarlsbarkley
Crazy is a horrible song. Good songs, "the last" by underOATH, "crimson" by Atreyu, and Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste by the band Norma Jean. also, EMINEM is good also if you enjoy rap. but i dont really listen to rap much now.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Crazy is a horrible song.
whoa rak_32. I hear you, but keep in mind, the OP was New Group or Artist you like? Critisizing someone's taste in music wasn't really the objective of this thread. Yes, we all have opinions. For instance, someone may not like the bands you just listed, but would probably (hopefully) reserve that opinion due to the fact that the objective here is not to praise/criticize music, but rather to introduce. Music varies greatly...and opinions on music also varies equally. The goal here was to just have folks throw out stuff that they've heard that they like, and maybe turn someone on to a band that they may not have heard. I'm not the forum police, ;) , but I for one like having all of these varying styles mentioned. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, right? I'm just sayin...

Rock on! :cool:

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Nice post corysmith01. Thanks for helping keep the focus where it was intended. :)

R

rak_32

Banned
corysmith01 said:
whoa rak_32. I hear you, but keep in mind, the OP was New Group or Artist you like? Critisizing someone's taste in music wasn't really the objective of this thread. Yes, we all have opinions. For instance, someone may not like the bands you just listed, but would probably (hopefully) reserve that opinion due to the fact that the objective here is not to praise/criticize music, but rather to introduce. Music varies greatly...and opinions on music also varies equally. The goal here was to just have folks throw out stuff that they've heard that they like, and maybe turn someone on to a band that they may not have heard. I'm not the forum police, ;) , but I for one like having all of these varying styles mentioned. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, right? I'm just sayin...

sorry guys, i just expresion my opionins.
rock on!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
:)
corysmith01 said:

Great post. T'anx! :)

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
sorry guys, i just expresion my opionins.
rock on!
Hey Rak_32, no need to be sorry for having an opinion. :) We've all got 'em. ;)

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Pendulum ( drum n' bass) like, holy crap, every song, so amazing.

Any other drum n' bass fans here?

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
Although not a brand new band, The Black Keys have been getting quite a lot of airplay on my system lately. I have their 'Chulahoma', 'The Rubber Factory' and 'The Big Come Up' CD's ... I really like their straight up and raw electric bluesy/rock sound.

The Black Keys

Last edited:
B

brushro

Audioholic
Bands & Music

I guess the band "Widespread Panic' has been around a few years but I've just heard a song from their latest release & the thing that caught my ear was the vocalist seemed to my ears sounded alot like Steven Tyler from Aerosmith...a pretty catchy tune..I've always been the type of music fan that if I hear something "new" (regaurdless of how old it is) I enjoy going back to a bands earlier days & explore how they're music & sound style has evolved..I'm realizing that The Black Crowes is another group I have alot of catching up with to do.
Thanks for posting the thread!:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis