New Elites 74TX vs older say55txi?

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
I'm trying to chose between these receivers a 55TXi or a 74/72:confused: in terms of sound quailty which will bring out the best from my Mirage OM-9's.Thanks for the help.

SMM

SMM

Audioholic
Its my understanding that the 74 was just replaced with the 84....better specs same price. I think the 72 was replaced as well (I guess by the 82):)

S

simpleHT

Audioholic Intern
Stereoguy said:
I'm trying to chose between these receivers a 55TXi or a 74/72:confused: in terms of sound quailty which will bring out the best from my Mirage OM-9's.Thanks for the help.
I do not own Elite, so I can not comment on SQ. But based on the spec, the 7 series seem to have less weight than the older 5 series.

D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
Stereoguy said:
I don't recommend the 55TXi. If you want to go for one of the older A.D.E. MOSFET receivers, get a 56TXi. It sounds much better than the 55. The 56 sounds fantastic driving my OM-10s, and blends very well with my Parasound (also a MOSFET design) which drives my OM-6s and OM-C2.

In my experience, the OMs dont respond well to the MCACC EQ, probably because they measure so differently than normal, foward radiating speakers, so the more advanced MCACC modes on the new receivers aren't really beneficial. I'd suggest the 56TXi with Mirages.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis