New DIY Boom Box Build

K

Kevin Morgan

Audiophyte
hey guys,

Looking for some advice. I recently came upon a cool tool box that I would like to turn into a Bluetooth speaker system. I've done a lot of research and on others tackling a job like this one.
A lot of the boom box builds I've seen are using relatively small boxes. Pelican Cases etc. My box however is about 14 inches tall, 16 inches wide, and 12 inches deep ( I'll attach a picture)
My main question is what size amp should I be looking for? I see a lot of people use the Lepai LP 2020+ Tripath
Amp but I feel like I could probably go with something a little bigger.

If you were using a box this size, what might you do?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What drivers/speakers you are using would determine the amp needs, not the physical box size necessarily. You might also think about using an amp like the Lepai LP7498E which already has the bluetooth feature built in. Any reason you want to use an amp with its own case rather than just a board like one of these?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I'd be tempted to stick a car stereo and coaxial car speakers in a box that size, with perhaps a power supply out of an old desktop pc. Then it would have an amp, tuner and CD player/Bluetooth all in one. Otherwise, you are going to have to calculate speaker enclosures within that as well, I would think.

Not sure if this can be done this way, but it was the first thing that came to mind.

K

Kevin Morgan

Audiophyte
@lovinthehd
You're definitely right, it doesn't need a case. I was thinking about maybe the
TPA3116D2 2.1

I would like it to have 6 inch component speakers with a small 75w RMS sub

@MrBoat
I really like that idea. You're right I definitely have the space. I would have to look a little more into how to accomplish that

I would really love this to have its own rechargeable battery as well

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
@lovinthehd
TPA3116D2 2.1

@MrBoat
I really like that idea. You're right I definitely have the space. I would have to look a little more into how to accomplish that

I would really love this to have its own rechargeable battery as well
Or some speakers like the "Overnight Sensations," something that makes large sound from small spaces, partitioned in, and I think they are full range so would have some bass capability on their own.

I'm not ultimately familiar with the Bluetooth setups so my take may be a bit antiquated and there are likely much better options. Knowing me, I'd have it mounted on a cart with wheels and a 12v car battery ponied on there somehow and it would be ridiculous. Amusing, yet ridiculous nonetheless.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd
TPA3116D2 2.1

Component speakers? Not sure what you mean by that, you mean speakers designed with their own boxes or drivers suitable for mounting in the box you're using them in? You might want to do some reading, maybe start here http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/38661-the-speaker-building-bible

Curious, what material is the tool box made of? You'll need more posts to attach a pic....not sure how many, though.

Subs are defined by more than an amp's rating; you intend for the sub to be in the box or in a separate box?

I'd skip the battery power idea....unless you want a 12V on a cart like MrBoat would do :)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I'd skip the battery power idea....unless you want a 12V on a cart like MrBoat would do :)
Along with it's self contained diesel generator/welder. :D

Honestly, I can do without portable entertainment. I have a hard enough time with cell phones, and other battery powered conveniences. About as far as I go is a flashlight that takes Li-ion 18650's. Other than that, I can wait to get home to be entertained. Everything else sounds like poo comparatively anyway.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis