fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well FML. I'm not sure what happened or what I did, but I was hooking everything up at my desk when I plug in my BD burner into the computer and suddenly the computer screen goes black and it shuts itself down. Now, as far as I can tell neither the computer nor the BD burner is functional. The computer makes the startup noise and I hear the HD spin up, but it stays with a black screen and the RPM's never drop below what sounds like full blast. If the thing is going to die and it wasn't my fault, I'm glad it happened now and not in the middle of the school year. If it is my fault, I have no idea what I did wrong. I'm fairly tech savvy and have a masters in educational technology, so it's not like computers are foreign to me. Oy vey.

First off, anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong or any questions to help me diagnose the issue? I'll be bringing it to a repair shop tomorrow to see what they have to say, but any info or questions to ask them would be helpful.

If the thing is shot (which I pray it isn't because I'm very nearly tapped) I guess I'll be looking at another macbook pro. I use my computer for streaming (movies and music), ripping, burning, document editing, website creation, skyping, plus all my speaker programs, I'm teaching myself a little CAD type stuff, and now that I'm going to be teaching I'm sure there will be video editing added to the mix. If there are any suggestions other than a macbook pro I'm open. My only requirements are that it has to be a laptop since I'll be bringing it to and from the school with me.

Thanks in advance

-fuzz

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Lets start with basic things:
what type of computer you have now? Is BD drive usb? Have you tried to boot without it plugged in?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You have a Mac now, right? If so, try some of these startup options. In particular, you can try hold "Option" down during startup to select the startup volume, or try "Command-R" to go into recovery mode.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Then again, your computer might just be really excited about the thought of getting internet again today. :D

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
When I read your post, a Star Trek quote was the first thing that popped in my head: "He's dead, Jim."

If the HD is still running, you could probably recover your data. But no matter what, you are going to face some money outflow. Wish I had more knowledge to help with other than Star Trek quotes.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Lets start with basic things:
what type of computer you have now? Is BD drive usb? Have you tried to boot without it plugged in?
Whoops, it's a 2009 macbook pro, 17". BD drive is USB and yes I've tried to boot in every which way I can think of. Just doors the same thing each time.
You have a Mac now, right? If so, try some of these startup options. In particular, you can try hold "Option" down during startup to select the startup volume, or try "Command-R" to go into recovery mode.
I had tried a boot in safe mode but I'll give recovery mode a shot. I don't think it'll work just because it never seems to get far enough in the start up cycle to actually come on no matter what I do.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I had tried a boot in safe mode but I'll give recovery mode a shot. I don't think it'll work just because it never seems to get far enough in the start up cycle to actually come on no matter what I do.
Do you have an external drive with the Mac OS on it that you can boot from?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
That symptom could have a dozen causes, really. The mobo could be fried, or the CPU, or both. A stick of RAM could have picked that moment to come unseated. The act of plugging the drive in could have caused a weak component of the power supply board to fail. Your video chipset could have de-soldered itself from improper airflow and overheating, and the jarring involved in plugging the external drive unseated it. My guess is it's probably the system board or CPU though. But at least your data should be intact.

As far as replacement recommendations, what software will you be teaching? if you expect that your students will be using iMovie for video editing, then yeah, get another Macbook of some sort. If Adobe Premiere or Camtasia Studio, then personal preference. If Lightworks or Windows Movie Maker, then obviously not a Mac. Anything worthwhile nearby on Craigslist?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Do you have an external drive with the Mac OS on it that you can boot from?
I used to have a USB with Mavericks on it, but I can't seem to find it.

That symptom could have a dozen causes, really. The mobo could be fried, or the CPU, or both. A stick of RAM could have picked that moment to come unseated. The act of plugging the drive in could have caused a weak component of the power supply board to fail. Your video chipset could have de-soldered itself from improper airflow and overheating, and the jarring involved in plugging the external drive unseated it. My guess is it's probably the system board or CPU though. But at least your data should be intact.

As far as replacement recommendations, what software will you be teaching? if you expect that your students will be using iMovie for video editing, then yeah, get another Macbook of some sort. If Adobe Premiere or Camtasia Studio, then personal preference. If Lightworks or Windows Movie Maker, then obviously not a Mac. Anything worthwhile nearby on Craigslist?
Well that sounds mostly expensive, but good thing about the data. I should have everything I need backed up anyways, but I'd rather not lose the HD. I'm not teaching video editing, but I'll need to do some video editing for any videoing of my own lessons I want to post online. Nothing too advanced so I'm sure iMovie is sufficient. I'm pretty hard on my computers so I need something that'll last. I had thought the macbook pro I had would last a bit longer than it did, but it is what it is. So far it looks like I'll go with another macbook pro just because I'm most familiar with them. I'm still holding out hope that it can be easily fixed and won't cost me an arm and a leg just to get diagnosed.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You might able to backup the data from the old macbook - Check the guide here:
Startup key combinations for Intel-based Macs

Target Disk mode should allow to back it up if you have another macbook pc connect to old one with firewire cable.

I would also try Apple Hardware test and Safe boot as well OS X Recovery

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Found an authorized mac repair shop that was running a promotion for free diagnostic checkup so I took it there. Guy tried all the key combinations and a bunch of other stuff. He said that he had tried everything he could think of that usually causes those symptoms, but that none of them had worked so his best guess was that the logic board was shot. $600-700 plus labor to get it fixed. Laptop is a 2009 so I'm not sure if that's worth it to put the money into.

You might able to backup the data from the old macbook - Check the guide here:
Startup key combinations for Intel-based Macs

Target Disk mode should allow to back it up if you have another macbook pc connect to old one with firewire cable.

I would also try Apple Hardware test and Safe boot as well OS X Recovery

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Found an authorized mac repair shop that was running a promotion for free diagnostic checkup so I took it there. Guy tried all the key combinations and a bunch of other stuff. He said that he had tried everything he could think of that usually causes those symptoms, but that none of them had worked so his best guess was that the logic board was shot. $600-700 plus labor to get it fixed. Laptop is a 2009 so I'm not sure if that's worth it to put the money into.
700+labor doesn't seem like a good deal to fix it imo. About $800 could get you used 17" model in good shape. Apple doesn't make 17" model any more. 15" is the largest.

New 15" Pro starting at $1999

Or you could get nice new PC for same $800 you would spend on repairs. I almost don't hate Windows 8.1 anymore...

here guides on DIY if you feel bold to try to fix yourself:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+17-Inch+Models+A1151+A1212+A1229+and+A1261+Logic+Board+Replacement/325
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+17-Inch+Unibody+Logic+Board+Replacement/3447

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I've been weighing it over and talking it over with the parents. Looks like I'm heading to the Apple store tonight. :D but at the same time :( Money might as well start flying out of my arse.

700+labor doesn't seem like a good deal to fix it imo. About $800 could get you used 17" model in good shape. Apple doesn't make 17" model any more. 15" is the largest.

New 15" Pro starting at $1999

Or you could get nice new PC for same $800 you would spend on repairs. I almost don't hate Windows 8.1 anymore...

here guides on DIY if you feel bold to try to fix yourself:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+17-Inch+Models+A1151+A1212+A1229+and+A1261+Logic+Board+Replacement/325
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+17-Inch+Unibody+Logic+Board+Replacement/3447

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I got a Win 7 question if you guys can help. I've been using ASDsee Capture Screen, but has not worked for a couple of months. When I try to capture a screen it's black. Any ideas how to fix it guys?

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
I got a Win 7 question if you guys can help. I've been using ASDsee Capture Screen, but has not worked for a couple of months. When I try to capture a screen it's black. Any ideas how to fix it guys?
Uninstall it from your computer and use something else. I use Active Presenter.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks guys! Lulimet ASDsee is a great photo program. I might need to update to the newer version. The one you gave me is video only? I don't see pic capture.
BoredSysAdmin I thought we were friends here.:p Thanks for the Auto Focus line made me smile. Your program seemed to work nicely. Sorry for the HJ Fuzz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis