B

bigwill125

Enthusiast
Looking for the best AVR's, pre/pro's. any recommendation's guys? NAD, Marantz?

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Why did the other three threads you started on this topic not help your decision making?

B

bigwill125

Enthusiast
No trying to clog up space or anything, unfortunately in the past including yesterday I didn't get as much feedback/opinions as I would have liked. The only reply for avr's post yesterday regarding marantz even after I replied suggested I could get more bang for the buck. I was hoping for more....

B

bigwill125

Enthusiast
sky is the limit, don't have one! Looking for the best

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
What speakers are you intending to drive?
How many speakers?

B

bigwill125

Enthusiast
4 def tech pro monitor 1000's, CS-8080HD, planning on getting BP-8080ST and maybe a future sub

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Have you had your room re-wired for multiple circuits? If it's still on a typical 15A circuit, you're going to be limited to 150wpc or so. Looking for top of the line would be wasteful in that case. NAD is pretty popular. McIntosh and Marantz are tried and true. If decadence is your goal, look here for some ideas ($15k Krell pre-amp, for example). Are you trying to fill an auditorium or a living room?

B

bigwill125

Enthusiast
what makes you recommend emotiva? I don't know much about them.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Barring a couple of exceptions, their amps have universally good feedback.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Define BEST... Your best and someone else's best aren't always going to be the same thing. For example, Deftech doesn't strike me as "sky's the limit" sort of speakers.

As mentioned, how big is the room? What type of flooring? Is it a dedicated room? You "might" add a sub? A good sub (or two) is pretty much a given in my book if you want "the best".

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
4 def tech pro monitor 1000's, CS-8080HD, planning on getting BP-8080ST and maybe a future sub
Speakers are Def Tech and the AVR's budget has no limit? :eek:

Well, I think the best AVR right now is the Denon 4520 if the sky is the limit.

Or wait for Denon to come out with a replacement to the Denon 5308 and AVP-A1HDCI.

Otherwise, the Denon X4000 is my advice + external amp from Parasound or ATI amps.

For AVR/pre-pro, the key difference among brands is in the room correction, sub EQ, & Dynamic EQ. For example, (Audyssey XT32 + dual Sub EQ + DEQ) vs (ARC + sub EQ + Dolby Volume) vs other software from Yamaha, Pioneer, etc.

Otherwise, they all pretty much sound the same in Direct modes when level matched (all trim levels matched).

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Get a Yamaha RX-A3020 and you won't need external amps to drive your Def Techs. Its one of the few receivers coming close to doubling its output into 4 ohms. Its predecessor, the RX-A3000 I believe is the only AVR tested by Audioholics that has come close to doubling its output.

Yamaha RX-A3000 Aventage 11.2 Networking A/V Receiver Review | Audioholics

From the review....

"The Yamaha RX-A3000 handedly exceeded its 140wpc power rating continuously with two channels driven and stomped out an impressive 236wpc both channels driven into 4 ohms; and that’s a full power bandwidth measurement (20Hz to 20kHz at 0.1% THD + N). It proved to be every bit as powerful as their more expensive RX-Z7 mode. You can see the protection circuit kick on during our ACD tests, purposely limiting power to 65wpc. In short time, there is no doubt in my mind forum lurkers seeing this will pop up on our site or AVS Forum bashing Yamaha, not realizing the design purpose of power limiting a multi channel amplifier in a compact chassis, or the reality that real world program material will never trip this limiter circuitry. Thus we conducted dynamic burst power measurements simulating real world program content. Interestingly enough the RX-A3000 delivered similar dynamic power output ACD into 8 ohm loads and slightly more power two channels driven into 4 ohm loads than the Emotiva UPA-7 dedicated multi-channel power amplifier that is designed to deliver rated power continuously into all channels as can be seen in the comparison table below.....

It's clear that the Yamaha RX-A3000 delivers more than rated power with up to two channels driven and tons of dynamic headroom (1.9dB for 8 ohms based on their 140wpc power rating). Let no skeptic tell you otherwise, the RX-A3000 has a darn respectable amplifier section not only for a receiver but for a modestly priced seven channel power amplifier."

Last edited:
B

bigwill125

Enthusiast
small room, in a condo. but i'm buying equipment for when I move into a house in the near future. Flooring in my condo is laminate over a concrete slab. entire condo is 1500+ sq feet, but like I said i'm buying speakers and equipment so if I move I won't have to purchase a lot more. Also, both of my bp-8080st have built in sub's, so I'm not buying a sub right away. What speakers should I have looked into then since you guys are not a big fan of def tech's? martin logan, B&W??

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
small room, in a condo. but i'm buying equipment for when I move into a house in the near future. Flooring in my condo is laminate over a concrete slab. entire condo is 1500+ sq feet, but like I said i'm buying speakers and equipment so if I move I won't have to purchase a lot more. Also, both of my bp-8080st have built in sub's, so I'm not buying a sub right away. What speakers should I have looked into then since you guys are not a big fan of def tech's? martin logan, B&W??
I think Def Tech could sound as good as Martin Logan, B&W, Magnepan, and most speakers. The point is that you don't need to spend $8K on pre-pros, AVRs, & amps for the speakers to sound good.

When deciding among AVR, compare their room correction, subwoofer EQ, and Dynamic EQ capability. You can always add an external amp if you wanted to. But you cannot add an external outboard Audyssey XT32 + dual Sub EQ + DEQ processor even if you wanted to.

So choose the AVR or pre-pro that has the room correction + sub EQ + DEQ you want.

P

Plexmulti9

Junior Audioholic
i think def tech could sound as good as martin logan, b&w, magnepan, and most speakers. The point is that you don't need to spend $8k on pre-pros, avrs, & amps for the speakers to sound good.

When deciding among avr, compare their room correction, subwoofer eq, and dynamic eq capability. You can always add an external amp if you wanted to. But you cannot add an external outboard audyssey xt32 + dual sub eq + deq processor even if you wanted to.

So choose the avr or pre-pro that has the room correction + sub eq + deq you want.
neg ghost.jpg

:D I disagree!

Attachments

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Do you already have the Def Tech Monitor 1000?

If not, that will be serendipitous. Your budget needs to be upended. Spend $5000 on speakers+sub and $1500 on the receiver+amp. This will give you the best sound and ensure that a majority of budget is spent on something that can last your life, rather than electronics (with the exception of a dedicated amp), that will get outdated sooner or later.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
:D I disagree!
I suppose it depends on the models.

I've compared the DT BP7000SC vs ML Vantage and I thought the DT sounded better. But I have never heard the higher-end Martin Logan.

When I owned the BP7000SC, the only speakers I thought sounded better were the Revel Salon2, RBH T2, Linkwitz Orion3. But everyone feels differently for sure. :D

P

Plexmulti9

Junior Audioholic
I suppose it depends on the models.

I've compared the DT BP7000SC vs ML Vantage and I thought the DT sounded better. But I have never heard the higher-end Martin Logan.

When I owned the BP7000SC, the only speakers I thought sounded better were the Revel Salon2, RBH T2, Linkwitz Orion3. But everyone feels differently for sure. :D
Go find a set of Montis set up properly with subs and give yourself an hour of listening. then go listen to traditional "cone & dome" and you'll throw up after about 30 seconds. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis