tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I’ve decided to upgrade the display in my family room, moving from a 2011 Samsung plasma that just bit the dust to a new LG OLED display. That means it’s also time to upgrade my trusty Anthem MRX 710, which still is lovely but no Dolby Vision, no 4K. I’d like to keep the AVR budget under (or at least as close to) $1k as possible. I run a 5.1 system in this room with the front channels being Dynaudio bookshelves and the rear surrounds being basic in-ceiling Polk audio ones that were here when I bought the house. The room is a little funky so room correction capability is definitely nice to have.

Last question- am I being silly about the 4K and should I just stick with the Anthem until it dies since it does everything else I want really well?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Last question- am I being silly about the 4K and should I just stick with the Anthem until it dies since it does everything else I want really well?
You answered your own question, if it does everything else you want really well, why waste money replacing it now, unless of course if you do need 4K video for some reasons. If 4K is the only thing you need, and if you like Anthem, then take a look for deals on the MRX740 4K version. It may be tough to find one now as they have been discontinued for quite some time, but it wouldn't hurt to email Anthem, and make some calls to dealers. It would be higher than your 1K budget though even if you can find one. So I guess, keep what you have now is a good idea.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Let’s just say I have the upgrade bug. Any suggestions? I’m probably open to stretch the budget to $1500 if it really makes sense

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If I were avr shopping in that price range I'd look at a Denon 3800, and since you're already used to the Anthem maybe the 740....

ps Ooops meant the Anthem 540....

Last edited:
tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
If I were avr shopping in that price range I'd look at a Denon 3800, and since you're already used to the Anthem maybe the 740....
Is the 3800 worth the upgrade over the 2800 in a 5.1 system?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Or you could use your TV as an HDMI switch and video processor and offload the audio to your trusty AVR.
The best part is that the cost is zero.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Connect Apple TV 4K to TV, set it to DD 5.1 output. Connect TV to receiver via optical cable. Connect Oppo to TV via HDMI Video port and connect HDMI audio cable to Anthem. Done.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Connect Apple TV 4K to TV, set it to DD 5.1 output. Connect TV to receiver via optical cable. Connect Oppo to TV via HDMI Video port and connect HDMI audio cable to Anthem. Done.
I’ve tried this and can’t get audio out of the receiver. Not sure if I’m missing a setting or something but audio only comes out of the tv speakers. I will say I don’t love the menu setup on the LG and find the settings difficult to navigate.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Why would I need to run an HDMI audio to the Anthem? Wouldn’t the optical out of the tv serve the same purpose?

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Or you could use your TV as an HDMI switch and video processor and offload the audio to your trusty AVR.
The best part is that the cost is zero.
This is what I originally tried but couldn’t get audio out of the receiver. Only played thru TV speakers or nothing at all.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
This is what I originally tried but couldn’t get audio out of the receiver. Only played thru TV speakers or nothing at all.
Most AVR's will default to HDMI input source nowadays...you probably have to go into the digital audio settings and set the input you are using optical on to "optical"
I have to do this on my Pioneer for OTA audio from my tv set....otherwise I get no sound.
Look on page 19 and 20 of your manual.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Why would I need to run an HDMI audio to the Anthem? Wouldn’t the optical out of the tv serve the same purpose?
The optical cable will be limited to lossy DD 5.1. The Oppo is a universal player supporting Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio, DSD and multichannel PCM. All of them exceed the bandwidth available using an ARC or optical connection. So, the HDMI audio connection to the receiver will be necessary to have access to any of them.

The Apple TV 4K converts everything to LPCM by default. Again, bandwidth issues will prevent any multichannel PCM signals going over an ARC or optical connection. So, the output format will need to be changed to Dolby Digital 5.1.

To set up optical output on LG TV, bring up Settings>All Settings>Sound>Sound Out>Use Wired Speaker>Optical Out Device. Then, go back to Sound and select Advanced Settings>Select HDMI Input Audio Format. Select Bitstream for every connected port. Then, go back and scroll down to Digital Sound Output and select Pass Through. This will allow the DD 5.1 signal to be output without a conversion by the TV to PCM 2.0 to the receiver.

You are right, though. While the LG OLED TVs put up amazing images, the settings really suck and aren’t for the faint of heart.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
The optical cable will be limited to lossy DD 5.1. The Oppo is a universal player supporting Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio, DSD and multichannel PCM. All of them exceed the bandwidth available using an ARC or optical connection. So, the HDMI audio connection to the receiver will be necessary to have access to any of them.

The Apple TV 4K converts everything to LPCM by default. Again, bandwidth issues will prevent any multichannel PCM signals going over an ARC or optical connection. So, the output format will need to be changed to Dolby Digital 5.1.

To set up optical output on LG TV, bring up Settings>All Settings>Sound>Sound Out>Use Wired Speaker>Optical Out Device. Then, go back to Sound and select Advanced Settings>Select HDMI Input Audio Format. Select Bitstream for every connected port. Then, go back and scroll down to Digital Sound Output and select Pass Through. This will allow the DD 5.1 signal to be output without a conversion by the TV to PCM 2.0 to the receiver.

You are right, though. While the LG OLED TVs put up amazing images, the settings really suck and aren’t for the faint of heart.
Ok, I’ll try this again. Question on the Oppo setup, though. Can I just keep the existing connection between the Oppo-Anthem-TV rather than run a separate HDMI video directly to the TV on the Oppo?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I’ve tried this and can’t get audio out of the receiver. Not sure if I’m missing a setting or something but audio only comes out of the tv speakers. I will say I don’t love the menu setup on the LG and find the settings difficult to navigate.
You need to have CEC turned on in the TV, LG call this SIMPLINK. That makes it confusing, but it must be enabled to ge audio out of an LG TV.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, I’ll try this again. Question on the Oppo setup, though. Can I just keep the existing connection between the Oppo-Anthem-TV rather than run a separate HDMI video directly to the TV on the Oppo?
Yes. However, the Oppo can upscale to 4K but will not be able to do so connected to the Anthem. Though, the TV will also upscale everything to 4K and TVs usually do a better job of it than external devices. But, since you do have the ability to connect it both ways, you can experiment with it.

Simplink(HDMI-CEC) will turn itself ON automatically when the receiver is connected to the TV’s eARC port but is NOT necessary to get audio out of the optical port. HDMI-CEC must be ON in the TV and receiver to use ARC. HDMI-CEC can be a nightmare and the results of using it will vary wildly. If you don’t want anything to do with HDMI-CEC, do NOT connect the receiver to the TV’s eARC port.

These are just suggestions if keeping the Anthem. If replacing the receiver, I’d also recommend the Denon X3800H as it will be familiar to you and near budget. Then, I’d connect everything to it.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Thanks all. I’m going to start by trying the optical out route. If that doesn’t work for whatever reason, there is a local AV store offering a Marantz 7015 for $850, which seems like a tough deal to pass up. I normally wouldn’t pay for the Marantz name but sounds like they’re trying to clear out inventory and that seems like a good deal

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I think I'd forget the optical connection and run down there and get the 7015 at that price.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks all. I’m going to start by trying the optical out route. If that doesn’t work for whatever reason, there is a local AV store offering a Marantz 7015 for $850, which seems like a tough deal to pass up. I normally wouldn’t pay for the Marantz name but sounds like they’re trying to clear out inventory and that seems like a good deal
I would jump on that. It is a $2000.00 receiver. It is discontinued and Crutchfield are out. Best Buy have it on 'clearance' for 1,799.99. So at $850.00 you would be crazy not to buy it. Even at full price you would not be paying for the Marantz name, that is what units with that specification and performance cost.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis