frankf

frankf

Junior Audioholic
i have a yamaha 3300 receiver,and i am thinking about purchasing an outlaw775,200watts per channel amp-new. i will use the 3300 as a processor. any thoughts...anybody

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
frankf said:
i have a yamaha 3300 receiver,and i am thinking about purchasing an outlaw775,200watts per channel amp-new. i will use the 3300 as a processor. any thoughts...anybody

Yes, why are you contemplating this move? What are you missing from the 3300?

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
Yes, why are you contemplating this move? What are you missing from the 3300?
.....Frank, if you can afford it, and the purchase would be proper in the sight of your significant other, and your sight, dig deep now, get that multi-channel amp and report back to Mtry what you were missing....all I got.....

.....Mtry, you say some good stuff in other areas, but you're blind as a spotlighted deer over using large watts-continuous-rms rated....if you don't crank up your system every now and then, you need to sell it all and take up hang-gliding....you don't realize what you didn't have until you hear it....and you'll be using CD's and DVD's you are very familiar with....and, there will be no need for blindfolds....I'll still pay the shipping on the first 200-per at 8 amp sent back......

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
mulester7 said:
.....Frank, if you can afford it, and the purchase would be proper in the sight of your significant other, and your sight, dig deep now, get that multi-channel amp and report back to Mtry what you were missing....all I got.....

.....Mtry, you say some good stuff in other areas, but you're blind as a spotlighted deer over using large watts-continuous-rms rated....if you don't crank up your system every now and then, you need to sell it all and take up hang-gliding....you don't realize what you didn't have until you hear it....and you'll be using CD's and DVD's you are very familiar with....and, there will be no need for blindfolds....I'll still pay the shipping on the first 200-per at 8 amp sent back......
Great Reply!

SheepStar :)

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Need More Watts???

Sheep said:
Great Reply!

SheepStar :)
mtrycrafts gave an excellent response. If you are using a powered subwoofer, chances are you really need no increase in amp power whatsoever. Your amp is loafing along at several watts. More watts do not make a system sound better. If your speakers are reasonably efficient you can turn up your speakers to ear shattering levels without clipping. If you are playing your system that loud, chances are you are damaging your hearing and couldn't tell the difference anyhow. Huge amps do make excellent paperweights however. They are also great to impress everyone on how affluent you are.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
frankf said:
What's this going to do? Is something wrong with your current amplifier/reciever? Do you hear a harsh fuzz/static like sound on sustained dynamic peaks? Even if you had a clipping problem due to insufficient power, you would probably need to increase by a minimum factor of 4 in order to have a substantial effect. 2x power increase only gains you 3 dB. 4x increase gains 6dB; this would help signficantly if you were clipping pretty often on large peaks only. But it is unlikely you are audibly clipping the signal unless your circumstances are unusual.

-Chris

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
The RX-V3300 has a very substantial amplifier section. It has the same amp section as the old flagship reciever RX-V1.
I'm not saying that external amps are a waste, but you've already got a darn good one on board. That's why the RX-V3300 weighs so much, like 48 lbs or so.
I would wonder if you would gain much with external amps in this case?
Maybe the option of playing music/movies at ear damaging levels.
:)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
im actually considering this myself. i dont need excuses about better sound, louder, etc. (these are excuses i tell my significant other)

i just want to buy something for this disease called audioholism. :p

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
frankf said:

I have only one question that you should ask yourself. Do you have the money for it? If so, go for it! There are a lot of very conservative people on this forum that say you don't really need to do this or that. Personally, I use additional amplification and my system has never sounded better at high volumes. You will always be wondering if you don't try it out. Doesn't Outlaw have a 30-day money-back guarantee or something?

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
eirepaul said:
I have only one question that you should ask yourself. Do you have the money for it? If so, go for it! There are a lot of very conservative people on this forum that say you don't really need to do this or that. Personally, I use additional amplification and my system has never sounded better at high volumes. You will always be wondering if you don't try it out. Doesn't Outlaw have a 30-day money-back guarantee or something?
.....large watts-continuous on the front three at least, my esteemed colleagues....there's other factors besides just more watts potential....the name of the game is "clean"....front three at least....all of them if you can, but you won't be insulted with the receiver kicking only the back four....the front soundstage will be there....with two submarines under it....sounding like three, barely more than idleing....then we twist, haha....to accomplish this, you ain't gotta' be Nelson RockaFlounder......

D

dponeill

Junior Audioholic
ruadmaa said:
mtrycrafts gave an excellent response. If you are using a powered subwoofer, chances are you really need no increase in amp power whatsoever. Your amp is loafing along at several watts. More watts do not make a system sound better. If your speakers are reasonably efficient you can turn up your speakers to ear shattering levels without clipping. If you are playing your system that loud, chances are you are damaging your hearing and couldn't tell the difference anyhow. Huge amps do make excellent paperweights however. They are also great to impress everyone on how affluent you are.
Solid advice.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
dponeill said:
Solid advice.
.....and you're advocating to continue to use receiver amp sections, that "cannot", be as clean and quickly accurate as an amp section in a slave-unit with much higher damping factor, signal/noise, less mouths, and in short, a whole component produced to only accomplish one task, and do it right.....it's not most, about just the watts, necessarily, and at sweet-spot levels, it's everything, now including the watts.....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Damping

An audio system’s ability to stop playing a signal after it has ended. For instance, a sharp drum thump should not drag on for too long a time. If it does, the system is exhibiting poor damping meaning that it is not properly ending the sound production associated with the drum thump. Such a system is generally muddy and not well refined making individual musical nuances difficult to make out.

""THE DAMPING FACTOR"" relates to how well an amplifier is able to control the movement of a speaker driver, stopping its motion after the signal has stopped. If the driver motion is not halted, the driver will continue to move creating back-EMF (voltages sent back into the amplifier from the speaker’s voice coil moving in the magnetic field) and unpleasant, distorted sounds. Look for an amplifier with a high damping factor when you go to purchase audio equipment. The damping factor should be at least 300.

http://www.audiovideo101.com/dictionary/dictionary.asp?dictionaryid=124&term=Damping

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
mulester7 said:
A damping factor of 300 is not required for an audibly flat frequency response. The only relevance damping factor has is it's effect on frequency response due to interaction with a dynamic load, which is the NET EFFECT AND RELEVANCE of damping factor. Any other audible effect claims due to damping factor as a lone variable are heresay and speculation, just like cable sound arguments.

-Chris

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
WmAx said:
A damping factor of 300 is not required for an audibly flat frequency response. The only relevance damping factor has is it's effect on frequency response due to interaction with a dynamic load, which is the NET EFFECT AND RELEVANCE of damping factor. Any other audible effect claims due to damping factor as a lone variable are heresay and speculation, just like cable sound arguments.

-Chris
.....Chris, I became aware of damping factors not that long ago....I made the decision to buy two Crown K2's for the mini-barns not too long after I got them....SVS was selling the K1 and got me thinking along those lines....I noticed the K2 was a lot more power for only an extra $200, and I ordered one....good grief, what it did to one mini-barn, strapped, was awesome....but I said, hmmm, I wonder what the Crown would sound like pushing the mains?....so I tried it....good grief....I quickly ordered another K2 to push whatever I decided on....I had McIntosh on both the fronts and rears when the first Crown showed up.....soon after, the better of the two Mac amps went to the rears, with the first K2 now at home on the fronts....then the second Crown showed, and I AB'd it against the Mac MC 2200 pushing the rears....I had already noticed the rears sounded longer on everything against the K2 on the fronts, almost a thicker/longer sound....on everything.....

.....I listened to some stuff, with the fronts and rears going at the "same time", K2 pushing the fronts, Mac 2200 on the rears....then I put the second K2 on the rears, and ran all four again....the Mac was taken to storage immediately, where it remains....I don't see how an amp could be cleaner than this Crown K-Series....Chris, as I read the definitions I posted on damping factor, and I look at the fact a K2 is rated at >3000, and the Mac 2200 is rated at >100, for me, there is merit in my thinking....it doesn't really matter what you come back with, Gene done tried....I know what I heard, standing between the fronts and rears, moving closer one way and then the other, turning to the other sideways, and I know what I heard, and blindfolds weren't necessary....Mac thinks it's the aufoformer section at the outputs of the McIntosh amps....a guy in the lab at McIntosh assured me over the phone an autoformer section only acts as a fuse to ground for direct current.....

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
mulester7 said:
The impression/testament that you just posted falls under speculation. Nothing wrong with speculation, so long as you take it for what it's worth, and not a penny more.

-Chris

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mulester7 said:

Don't you think it would be good to know what his problem is before making blind recommendations? Maybe he should really have a 1000watt/ch amp? You don't know if that is really what he needs. Maybe he has no problems at all, just an itch. That may have a different solution :D

My boombox goes plenty loud for me, thanks:p I value my hearing even though nature keeps taking its bits and pieces from it.

Hang-gliding? Good suggestion to add to my hobbies, thanks:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mulester7 said:
there is merit in my thinking....it doesn't really matter what you come back with, Gene done tried....I know what I heard,.....

Well, the merit you think of has many parallels in consumer-land:) and elsewhere.
We keep trying to give you the best info available, yet you tear the pages out and throw away the cover. What are we to do?

Oh, that last phrase, where have I heard that before :D

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
Don't you think it would be good to know what his problem is before making blind recommendations? Maybe he should really have a 1000watt/ch amp? You don't know if that is really what he needs. Maybe he has no problems at all, just an itch. That may have a different solution :D

My boombox goes plenty loud for me, thanks:p I value my hearing even though nature keeps taking its bits and pieces from it.

Hang-gliding? Good suggestion to add to my hobbies, thanks:D
.....Mtry, plain and simple, it just sounds better with the right type of amplification....we need to ascribe to the notion of seperates on at least the soundstage no matter what speakers we got, immho.....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
WmAx said:
The impression/testament that you just posted falls under speculation. Nothing wrong with speculation, so long as you take it for what it's worth, and not a penny more.

-Chris
.....Chris, I'll trust what I hear over any teaching....I wish you could have been there....compared to the K2, the Mac simply wasn't clear....and the difference with the Mac moved out and another K2 dropped in was an act of removing mud and thickness....I love McIntosh Pre-Amps, but that's where it needs to stop for Mac as far as I am concerned.....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis