New amp and speakers, please help a noob

M

mt196

Audiophyte
Hi everybody I want to buy a new 2.0 or 2.1 system (which one is the best), but I am not an expert.

I have two different budgets, 150/200€ for a sound card and 200/300 (at the very limot) for amp+passive speakers (at least you think only active speakers would be better)

As sound card I don't know if the Asus stx II is better over the Creative Zxr, one of these two will be mine next card (at least there is something similar or better that is cheaper)

I need some help on amp and speakers, my room is not very big and I'll use them for films and, mostly, for listening to music (classical, acoustic, rock and sometimes pop)
Any suggestions? Thanks

M

mt196

Audiophyte
You think it's OK, because I have to build them, isn't it? Are they better than other speakers prebuild that I can get for that price?

Regarding amp, which one I should look at in the second hand market?

Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
You don't build the AA speakers Dennis does and sends them to you.

M

mt196

Audiophyte
Ah ok, but I have to see if they ship to Italy.
They seems good, but I didn't understand if with 195 + shipping I get only one speaker

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ah ok, but I have to see if they ship to Italy.
They seems good, but I didn't understand if with 195 + shipping I get only one speaker
It is a pair of speakers. As you are from Italy the total cost with shipping + toll/taxes would be around 300 or possibly more.. Should mention the location when you post. :) Ill take a look and sugggest you something from Europe.

M

mt196

Audiophyte
Ok, I'll take then in to consideration. Can you suggest another one so I can compare them and decide on what I can find cheaper here?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Ok, I'll take then in to consideration. Can you suggest another one so I can compare them and decide on what I can find cheaper here?
Tbh I cant think of anything in European market that comes close to the quality in same price range. Those monitors are accurate, neutral and go surprisingly low if you don't have big room.

M

mt196

Audiophyte
Ok thanks. Are they active? I just have to pull them in the STX II and all will sound very very well?

M

mt196

Audiophyte
I probably changed my mind, I read some stuff on the Web and seems that for my usage the Realtek 1150 which is integrated in my mobo + a good dac works pretty the same of a dedicated sound card.
I mean, if I just spend my money on a good dac using the Realtek 1150 I'll save some money and still get really good quality, isn't it?

As speakers I also saw the Tannoy reveal 502 that everybody seems to consider very very good for their price. Or I can get the 2030A,but of them I cannot find as much reviews and enthusiast people about them as for the Tannoy

Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
A DAC would make the realtek soundcound unusable as all sound from the pc would pass throught he DAC and just ignore the Realtek.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Ok thanks. Are they active? I just have to pull them in the STX II and all will sound very very well?
Yes they are active. Those speakers are really close to Genelec speakers that sell for 1500€ pair. Basicly they are Genelec copies in many ways.

M

mt196

Audiophyte
A DAC would make the realtek soundcound unusable as all sound from the pc would pass throught he DAC and just ignore the Realtek.
Didn't know that, a friend suggested that amp + passive with integrated sounds similar to the dedicated if you don't use it professionally and so he suggested a dac/amp + speakers.
But if you say that the signal would bypass the Realtek I'll take just the 2030A suggested by the other user.

In that case (that I take the behringer) what other device you suggest I should get?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Didn't know that, a friend suggested that amp + passive with integrated sounds similar to the dedicated if you don't use it professionally and so he suggested a dac/amp + speakers.
But if you say that the signal would bypass the Realtek I'll take just the 2030A suggested by the other user.

In that case (that I take the behringer) what other device you suggest I should get?
You will be fine with just the monitors. How ever, you had budget for a sound card, you could get DAC instead: http://www.headsound.de/epages/63028271.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63028271/Products/JDSODAC Or perhaps a dac and headphone amp combo if you are into headphones as well: http://www.headsound.de/epages/63028271.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63028271/Products/JDSO2ODAC or http://www.headsound.de/epages/63028271.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63028271/Products/JDSO2ODAC_custom with more connections.

M

mt196

Audiophyte
I think I'll get the first dac you said + 2030A or the Tannoy reveal 502 (which one you think is better?) and no sound card

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I think I'll get the first dac you said + 2030A or the Tannoy reveal 502 (which one you think is better?) and no sound card
I haven't heard the Tannoys so can't say much about them. But when looking for stats, Behringers have bigger bass drivers so they will produce deeper bass than said Tannoy's.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis