Netflix speech and dialogue audio too quiet; everything else too loud

D

dhinged

Audiophyte
I have Windows XP and everytime I watch a Netflix movie I have to turn the volume way up to hear the dialogue then turn it down when explosions and loud music happen. I have to use subtitles even when it's turned up but then the loud stuff rattles the walls.

I read that this might be because Netflix is pushing 5.1 surround to my stereo speakers and not converting them properly for Windows. I don't have Loudness Equalization like Windows 7, and I couldn't find a third-party program that does the same thing. I really would just like to know how to configure Netflix, my sound card, or Windows to fix this. I would prefer to get natural 2.0 stereo out (as it's connected through a 2.0 stereo output jack) rather than have to tweak and workaround a bunch of stuff if possible but I'm not sure this is possible. Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have Windows XP and everytime I watch a Netflix movie I have to turn the volume way up to hear the dialogue then turn it down when explosions and loud music happen. I have to use subtitles even when it's turned up but then the loud stuff rattles the walls.

I read that this might be because Netflix is pushing 5.1 surround to my stereo speakers and not converting them properly for Windows. I don't have Loudness Equalization like Windows 7, and I couldn't find a third-party program that does the same thing. I really would just like to know how to configure Netflix, my sound card, or Windows to fix this. I would prefer to get natural 2.0 stereo out (as it's connected through a 2.0 stereo output jack) rather than have to tweak and workaround a bunch of stuff if possible but I'm not sure this is possible. Thanks.
We need more details of your system. Especially we need details of your sound card. You need to set it to down mix 5.1 to 2.0 (stereo)

A

Actran

Audioholic
I have a similar issue, but through my older "fat" PS3. Our causes may be different, but our symptoms sound the same. For the short-term, try playing the same title, but go to the "Audio and Subtitles" menu in Netflix (shows up at the bottom of the options when looking at a show's detailed view - where the "Play", "More Episodes", etc. options are) and change the sound from Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) to Stereo.

My issue is that the old PS3 doesn't support DD+ due to an older HDMI standard. Ensure that your system / sound card can handle DD+.

Stereo isn't nearly as much fun as surround, but it'll be much better than what you're experiencing now.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It has nothing to do with an HDMI issue, I believe it has something to do with their DD stream because I have the same problem with 2 PS3s (Both fat and slim) and my brother does as well. It is not just the PS3 as I have the same issue with my Roku.

A

Actran

Audioholic
It has nothing to do with an HDMI issue, I believe it has something to do with their DD stream because I have the same problem with 2 PS3s (Both fat and slim) and my brother does as well. It is not just the PS3 as I have the same issue with my Roku.
I wish I could remember where I read it, but the HDMI generation used by the old "fat" PS3s can't support the newest codecs. I read that a lot of people have the issue with the slim, but every post I could find said that selecting the "best quality" option through the web (not embedded) profile options fixed it on the slim PS3s.

Lots of people with the slim PS3s play it fine, but I can't find anyone with a fat PS3 that has made it work. I desparately want to be wrong because the PS4 is not immediately in my future.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I changed the setting for "best quality" on the web and it does not appear to have had any effect on the audio stream for the PS3. I tested multiple movies with DD+

A

Actran

Audioholic
I changed the setting for "best quality" on the web and it does not appear to have had any effect on the audio stream for the PS3. I tested multiple movies with DD+
Thanks for giving it a go. I wonder what could be wrong? My receiver even says it's receiving 3/2/.1 dolby when I run netflix in 5.1 mode. So odd.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have no issues on the xbox 360. You could try amplifying the signal, just be careful not to clip your receiver inputs.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
DD+ does sound surprisingly good from Netflix for films that are properly set. I noticed last night for Samurai Champloo which I used to compare first since it has a stereo and a DD+ track, and I've seen it many times, and it didn't sound much different. I had to switch that one to DD+ in the audio/subtitle options though. Then I tried The Frighteners (Michael J Fox) which has excellent audio on the BD, and it is still quite impressive via Netflix too. My UMC200 recognizes them as DD+ and displays DD+, not 3/2/.1.

Actran, what receiver/pre-pro are you using?

A

Actran

Audioholic
I'm running the Netflix app on my PS3 and connecting to my Denon 2312 via HDMI. It kills me that the receiver recognizes that its getting dolby from the PS3, but only seems to output the front mains.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, the 2312 should have the correct processing. Is your PS3 set to bitstream or PCM? For the Fat PS3s, I believe you have to have it set to PCM because they won't bitstream the newer formats correctly.

A

Actran

Audioholic
Well, the 2312 should have the correct processing. Is your PS3 set to bitstream or PCM? For the Fat PS3s, I believe you have to have it set to PCM because they won't bitstream the newer formats correctly.

Well Netflix suddenly works in 5.1. I turned off dynamic range control on the PS3 and tried a movie and it sounded great, but then I turned dynamic range control back on and the movie still sounded great. (Was watching Drive)

J, can you give it a try? I'm wondering if Netflix fixed their stream. I put a ticket in with them last week, but they never responded

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Still says DD+ for me and sounds pretty much the same as before on Frighteners. Glad it is working. Possibly an issue with your PS3 that fixed itself when you made the settings change, or Netflix did fix something.

Last edited:
D

dhinged

Audiophyte
We need more details of your system. Especially we need details of your sound card. You need to set it to down mix 5.1 to 2.0 (stereo)
What more details do you need? I can't tell which sound card I have, it just says RealTek Audio... even Manage Devices doesn't mention. The settings don't mention either. How do I find that out?

I checked the RealTek audio settings and there's no specific option to downmix from 5.1 to 2.0, it's just configured for Stereo.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis