Netflix ending DVD service :(

jinjuku

jinjuku

There are still a lot of titles that aren't in the streaming catalogs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nothing on the dvd.netflix.com page, just signed in to check.....but been expecting this to happen for quite a few years....will be sorry to see it go.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
One of my buddies lives in the boonies and has no internet. He relies on that service.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
"Netflix will end its DVD-by-mail service : NPR. Netflix will end its DVD-by-mail service The DVD service, which still delivers films and TV shows in the red-and-white envelopes that once served as Netflix's emblem, plans to mail its final discs on Sept. 29"

They also missed their subscriber forecast and said password crackdown is going to hit the US in Q2:
Netflix misses subscriber estimates, reveals password crackdown to hit U.S. in Q2 (yahoo.com)

I'll admit that I haven't played a DVD in so long I'm not sure blu-ray player even works. I occasionally look at upgrading it to the latest 4k etc. But then realize I just stream movies. From my perspective I was surprised they still offered this service.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I only did discs via mail a few times on my netflix account. I switched to streaming like most people. First on Blu-ray players then on fire stick and Apple TV. My only disc rentals since then were Redbox but haven’t done those recently even though I’m always up for horror movies.

Most recently I cancelled Netflix streaming a few months back, but it is free to me on our T-Mobile family plan so I have it again. I really did miss it those few months actually. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've had the disc service since before streaming options. It's still better quality than streaming, and a nice way to see if I really want to buy the bluray ... altho seems there's a general decline in availability of bluray discs overall with latest releases to contend with as well. Moving to a streaming only world....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had the disc version before streaming too, but when they wanted to charge for both, I stuck with streaming.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I remember being in the beta for their streaming with whopping 50 titles. My issue is there is too much artifacts in their streaming titles. I have to use Edge/Chrome to get better than 720p that FireFox displays.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The service ends in September. Since I can't stream, I'm hoping someone will pick it or something else up. Otherwise I will watch very few movies. The red box is not a good thing for us either since the nearest red box is a 30 mile round trip. I guess DVD's and Blu Rays have had their day for me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The service ends in September. Since I can't stream, I'm hoping someone will pick it or something else up. Otherwise I will watch very few movies. The red box is not a good thing for us either since the nearest red box is a 30 mile round trip. I guess DVD's and Blu Rays have had their day for me.
I tried Redbox for a bit as there was a kiosk in town (which went away for a bit, but has now returned to a different location), but the choice compared to Netflix disc selection was rather poor. I don't see anyone buying the dvd service from Netflix....except maybe RedBox?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I tried Redbox for a bit as there was a kiosk in town (which went away for a bit, but has now returned to a different location), but the choice compared to Netflix disc selection was rather poor. I don't see anyone buying the dvd service from Netflix....except maybe RedBox?
I will adapt as always. I have been making my living on the internet for 26 years despite not having adequate internet service available to me. Life is not centered around movie watching.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis