Netflix DVD-by-Mail Becomes Quickster

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I'm really surprised by BB, 2 of the 3 top picks in my queue were listed as very long waits and the 3rd was listed as a short wait but all three shipped out today. We'll soon see if the shipping is as fast. The nearest NF distribution center is 80 miles away (4 hours in traffic :p) and turn around was always same day with 1 day for transit. Anyway so far I'm impressed, I'm getting 3 movies that aren't even available on NF yet. :D
Unfortunately I think you're getting the "red carpet" treatment because you're on your trial period. Things will probably change when you become a regular member. Netflix was the same way when I had them. When you first start out you're like, "Man this is awesome I'm getting movies right away!" Then once the honeymoon is over you see how they really are.

One thing to note: on your account you can set it up so that you receive your movies ALWAYS in queue order or you can set it up for "Speed". I hate waiting for movies so I have my account set up for Speed. The problem with this is if the movie at the top of your queue is available but only at a distribution center that is far away from you, they'll ship you something lower on your queue. So pick your poison with that one. Either you wait an extra day or 2 for new releases or you deal with them shipping movies that you didn't want as much.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
But back on topic, I haven't tried Vudu even though they gave me a free trial through PS3 because their regular prices are crazy, ($5 for a rental is WAY overpriced IMO) and when I signed up and did a bandwidth test they came back with SD for me. Screw that!
$6 for new releases, last time I looked. They have an average selection too. A few great titles and lots of crappy ones. I had the same issue with their connection test as well at my other house, so if I am only going to get SD then it should cost less.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Amazon To Buy Netflix?

If it happens that's be the second bombshell from Amazon. Earlier this week Amazon announced that Kindle books would be available for lending through 11,000 public libraries. Of course I have so many freebees on my Kindle that it'll be a year before I need to go to a library. Anyway an Amazon buyout could be just the ticket for taking Netflix to the next level. As a top video retailer Amazon has the leverage with studios and has the money to grow Netflix. On the other hand I see Netflix as a better fit under Walmart which isn't hampered by sales tax worries because they are already setup to pay sales tax everywhere and could absorb the entire business. Walmart could even copy the BB return to store feature since they have stores everywhere. Walmart is always looking for new services to offer whether it's banking or the medical clinics being setup at some stores.

Link
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) — After a week in which Netflix Inc. shares shed more than 38% of their value, one of Wall Street’s most-bearish analysts raised his rating on the company, saying Netflix could be setting itself up to sell its online video-streaming business to Amazon.com Inc.
Yeah, but it gets HELLA hot in Hemet. I used to date a girl from there. You don't happen to know a Blanca Lara do you? Too bad I screwed things up with her she was hot.
I don't know the name but feel free to tell her you have a good looking single friend in Hemet ;). I'm actually on the far east end in the unincorporated Valle Visa area and yes we do get a few 105 degree 25% humidity days in the summer. But we don't get that cold white nasty stuff. :p

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
$6 for new releases, last time I looked. They have an average selection too. A few great titles and lots of crappy ones. I had the same issue with their connection test as well at my other house, so if I am only going to get SD then it should cost less.
$6?!?! That's even worse.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't think they are actually performing the editing themselves, however they do carry only edited versions of movies. Edits that are intended for conservative climates, (think Mormons) that are apparently not approved by the studios or directors (I don't know that for sure). I do know for sure that most R rated movies at BB are NOT what you would see in the theater or if you rented it anywhere else. They don't have the right to choose what I do and don't get to see in a movie, so I no longer rent movies from them.
When did you run into this? If I remember correctly which is questionable;) I have rented unrated movies there and the 3 Dragon girl movies that seemed to be unedited and could have been X rated or maybe it was unrated.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
When did you run into this? If I remember correctly which is questionable;) I have rented unrated movies there and the 3 Dragon girl movies that seemed to be unedited and could have been X rated or maybe it was unrated.
There were stories about this some years back. Blockbuster does not now, nor have they ever, directly censored films themselves. That would have been illegal, as they are not the copyright owners. However, anyone can avoid carrying films that they deem to have objectionable content, and supposedly in the past Blockbuster reportedly put pressure on movie companies to release edited versions of some of their films.

From a very superficial search, I have found nothing to determine the actual facts of the past. But they do not seem to be doing any such thing currently, and have unrated films, like Y Tu Mama Tambien, which they could have only in the R version if they wanted it (as the film has been released both ways on DVD; it was released in theaters in the U.S. with an R rating, and is with added material in the unrated version). Usually, in such cases, when the MPAA board first saw the film, it was likely such that it would get an NC-17 rating, and in order to avoid that, the studio edits the film in order to get an R rating for theatrical release, as many theaters will not show NC-17 films, and many people will avoid them. Really, having the MPAA system results in censorship of films prior to theatrical release, which has nothing to do with Blockbuster.

But, of course, the choices that they made in the past for what to have available and not available would likely impact what the studios would do, when Blockbuster was the biggest rental store. I believe in the past, Blockbuster tended to avoid unrated versions of films, but I have no means of verifying this one way or the other. It is irrelevant to what they currently do in any case.

Of course, I have no way of determining whether there are local or regional differences in what they offer in individual stores. It is possible for a company to not have unrated films in some stores while having them in others, though I have no particular reason to believe that Blockbuster is actually doing this either. And, of course, they may have more than one version of the same film in one store, as some people would prefer to have an R rated film to an unrated one that, if rated, would be NC-17. So even visiting stores and finding an R version would not mean that they necessarily did not also have an unrated version.

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
BlockBuster Streaming Announcement

I wonder how long it will take BB to get 1080/5.1 applets on Roku and PS3. Those are the two biggies.

Link
Dish Network claimed that the service will offer 34,000 streaming movies and TV shows on TVs and computers, including Starz content, which will no longer be available to Netflix customers next year after contract-extension talks fell through with that company earlier this summer. Using the same accounting procedures, which were not disclosed, Dish said Netflix offers 31,700 streaming videos; Netflix says it offers 20,000 streaming options.

Blockbuster's DVD-by-mail service offers the same amount of content as the soon-to-be-Qwikster service, more than 100,000 DVDs and video games. Dish, which purchased the bankrupt Blockbuster franchise in April, said that service had already added 500,000 subscribers in the past 30 days, presumably customers who had left Netflix in the same time frame.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis