M

miggs29

Audioholic
Hi all, my yammy rx-v1700 does not decode Dolby digital plus. I am trying to use a roku stick to stream Netflix and things are not working for me. Is there a workaround for this? Netflix streams out in DD+. i don't want to upgrade my receiver just for this. Any tricks?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Not a great trick, but have you tried stereo mode? I know that isn't surround sound, but hopefully it'll get you audio for now.

M

miggs29

Audioholic
Not a great trick, but have you tried stereo mode? I know that isn't surround sound, but hopefully it'll get you audio for now.
It does put out sound in stereo mode , but not in surround. I am just trying to find a workaround in order to get 5.1

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It does put out sound in stereo mode , but not in surround. I am just trying to find a workaround in order to get 5.1
There isn't one. You have the codec or you don't. This is just one of many reasons why receivers should be upgradeable.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think there's a problem with Netflix right now. I lost DD+ on S3 of American Horror story. It displays DD+, but when you look at what it coming out, it is stereo only. And I had already watched the first 3 episodes and they were all DD+

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What year was dd+ come out? before 2006? I think that new cable will at least give him/her surround sound at least which the receiver has.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What year was dd+ come out? before 2006? I think that new cable will at least give him/her surround sound at least which the receiver has.
The spec for DD +, also known as E-AC3 was first published in August 2008. I'm not sure when the first receivers started coming out with the codec installed.

Netflix stared streaming with Dolby Digital plus sometime in 2010. My pre pro is 2008 and does not have the codec. Since 2014 I understand Netflix has been withdrawing DD + support from a number of Apps, especially apps in Samsung BD players and Smart TVs, I have just found out.

So no, you can not decode a codec with a cable. However if the sending device sends 2 channel stereo, then you can get multi channels from the algorithms in the receiver such as Dolby plx, THX etc. Take your pick. It is not 5.1 however as the channels are not discrete but contrived from an algorithm that uses largely phase cues in the two channel stream.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

TLS at least he/she will be able to hear it in DD at least with the HDMI I linked, which the receiver has. :)
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v1700_black__u/
No he won't. DD and DD + are not the same codec. Netflix does not stream in DD only two channel and DD +. And now Netflix is withdrawing support from a lot of apps that have used DD + so these will now only get two channel.

If your receiver does not have the DD + codec you can not get 5.1 from Netflix. DD + does allow sub sub channels that support DD, Neflix does not use them, and most streaming services do not, because of bandwidth issues.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I have been in the same situation. Out of 4 devices I had that could stream Netflix the only one that could stream 5.1 audio to my Yamaha RX-V2700 is the Xbox 360. It will convert DD+ to standard Dolby Digital. The Xbox One will do this as well however it has a major flaw in that it cannot dynamically change the audio output so if it is set to output 5.1 and you watch something that streams in stereo you will only hear the front left and right speakers. For this reason I still have my 360.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Quick question does Netflix or Amazon offer 3D streaming?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks TLS I thought someone mentioned that you could via some streaming services. Oh well back to buying them used or on sale.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis