Neil Young's PureTone project

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So how exactly will all of my current files sound better on a Pono? Better how? Sounds like marketing.

mrjsw

mrjsw

Junior Audioholic
So how exactly will all of my current files sound better on a Pono? Better how? Sounds like marketing.
This is my concern as well. A well-designed product absolutely could make even my current files sound better due to using a better DAC, better amp, and better attention to details like noise reduction. I've certainly noticed that the exact same file can sound noticeably different on various smartphones, tablets, and so on, when listened to with the same headphones, and so I'm sure that it's possible that a $300 dedicated device could sound absolutely amazing. However, when all the site shows is a bunch of hype from people who stand to profit from the device and higher-end audiophile-oriented music sales... well, then I begin to wonder just how good the actual device is. If it's that good, and if they have prototypes built, why not let an unbiased source review them? I'm sorry, but Neil Young driving a retired music exec around in his ancient land yacht listening to speakers in that spacious area does not prove to me that the device sounds good via headphones, even though the exec says it sounded amazing. In fact, it doesn't even make me confident that the device was even used. What would make me keep my pledge? Someone with a known good rep in the audiophile world who listens to the exact same song on the Pono and on, say, an iPhone 5S or Galaxy S5 and determines that it sounds better. I'd like the same exact file to be listened to on all devices so as to show the DAC/amp strengths, and the a FLAC version to show if that actually makes a difference on a portable device when used with good cans.

PS I am the brother Adam mentioned.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Plus, to have musicians get out of the car and say it was the best that they'd ever heard music sound? Their live shows must suck. :D

mrjsw

mrjsw

Junior Audioholic
Plus, to have musicians get out of the car and say it was the best that they'd ever heard music sound? Their live shows must suck. :D
I'm pretty sure they meant it was the best they'd ever heard music sound in Neil Young's car. In all fairness, he'd just had the 8-track removed the day before, so it's not all that surprising.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
After all those shows do you think Neil can still hear very well? :) To be honest, as posted previously in this thread, I saw him that week and he sounded good at the show.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
The issue is mastering. There are already plenty of good formats out there (Have you looked at the resolutions FLAC can be pushed to?) , what we need are good recordings that weren't destroyed by some audio engineer somewhere.
^^^This^^^

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The issue is mastering. There are already plenty of good formats out there (Have you looked at the resolutions FLAC can be pushed to?) , what we need are good recordings that weren't destroyed by some audio engineer somewhere.
Agreed as well, and this is one of the BIGGEST things people don't seem to get. You can have a bit perfect digital version of something, but if it was mastered like garbage then all you have is bit perfect garbage.

mrjsw

mrjsw

Junior Audioholic
As I'm sure you were all barely able to get on with your lives due to the constant stress of wondering if I bought a Pono: I did not buy a Pono. You can now breathe normally and take a well-deserved nap.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As I'm sure you were all barely able to get on with your lives due to the constant stress of wondering if I bought a Pono: I did not buy a Pono. You can now breathe normally and take a well-deserved nap.
We need a new guinea pig now though :)

A

Andrew Miles

Audiophyte
Southern man don't need him around anyhow, or Pure Tone. Neal Young sounds the same whether played at 128 or 24/96. The Hi Rez stuff I've heard so far, i.e. The Rolling Stones, The Eagles, and others offered from HDtracks seem to be no more Hi-Fi than the same material I have on CD.
A Canadian man believes in quality and most of the people that are or have been negative or jealous when it comes to Neil are either too fat to get on stage or they are dead from vanity. If you cant handle old black or the Horse than dont listen....it was not made for you anyhow.

A

Andrew Miles

Audiophyte
Southern man don't need him around anyhow, or Pure Tone. Neal Young sounds the same whether played at 128 or 24/96. The Hi Rez stuff I've heard so far, i.e. The Rolling Stones, The Eagles, and others offered from HDtracks seem to be no more Hi-Fi than the same material I have on CD.
Neil said it will provide the full sound that has been compromised since vinyl. I think he knows what hes talking about being a musician for probably half a century......we dont need americans telling us how to live, feel, talk and vote thank you.....we are the best country in the world and the states keep starting fights with everyone when they need to grow up and take care of their own country. Maybe then the public genocide may go down in occurrence.....theres a reason we Canadians are polite and friendly(common sense)If California sunk into the ocean, I think Neil would stay up here.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Neil said it will provide the full sound that has been compromised since vinyl. I think he knows what hes talking about being a musician for probably half a century......we dont need americans telling us how to live, feel, talk and vote thank you.....we are the best country in the world and the states keep starting fights with everyone when they need to grow up and take care of their own country. Maybe then the public genocide may go down in occurrence.....theres a reason we Canadians are polite and friendly(common sense)If California sunk into the ocean, I think Neil would stay up here.
What is wrong with you?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
It is shocking to me that I agreed with ATLAudio dude. This guy is on whole another level.
Resurrecting ancient thread, insulting veteran members. Good job
I'm a little late on this thread, but, since its mostly an ancient thread, hopefully some forgiveness is in order.

I first read about Neil Young and Pono just about the time I joined the AH last year. There were two things about his basic premise that sounded great, but, actually turn out to be pseudo science or unsupported science.

The first thing he based the whole idea of Pono on was that digital mastering destroyed the purity of analog sine waves. He showed examples (you've seen them before) of a stair step wave form compared to a pure sine wave. This proved, according to Neil, that digital media was inherently inferior to an analog approach.

The second thing he used as a basis was his ability to hear the difference between his proposed pure approach because he was a lifelong musician. Floyd Toole debunks the musicians hearing edge pretty well in his book. Particularly when you couple his age, his number of years playing live concerts, and his other alternative pharmacutical intakes. I'm pretty sure the dude would be challenged in a blind hearing test to pick out any differences between formats no matter how serious the deformity.

Pono seemed like a good idea because the basic claims appeared to have merit. As soon as you check the science however, the basic premise claims fall apart pretty quickly.

I for one like Neil Young as an artist. On my very best hard partying day, I wouldn't hold a candle to Neil Young. That guy can both party as hard as anybody that's still alive and he can play the s-h-i-t outta that guitar. As an artist, I can give ole Neil two thumbs up even in 2017. But as an inventor and purveyor of Pono as a better mousetrap for audio, I'll take a pass. Y'all can invest if you choose. I don't mind. But, I don't think the basic science gives Pono any real edge.

No American heroes were harmed in the expression of this humble opinion.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
His voice hits a nasal pitch that I can't handle. When he's playing full on electric it's better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis