Need warm speakers for home theatre

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Couple of things—@shadyj the principal speaker reviewer for this website infoed another member on a different string that there will a large audio show, AXPONA, in two weeks at Schaumburg, IL with many speaker manufacturers you can listen too.

Regarding “bright” speakers it has been suggested it may be intentional because they stand out more in comparisons in show rooms. But as you mentioned they lead to listening fatigue for those naive buyers later on.

Recommendations without “owners confirmation bias” can be gleaned from following the speaker reviews of @shadyJ on this website. For instance in your price range well regarded speakers that tested well for your use could be the Polk R700 towers and the Polk L400 center. The L400 received high praise in its review and the R700 was speaker of the year in its price range.
I can recommend the Polk R700. The tweeter is not bright and I had no ear fatigue listening with my old guy ears. They have excellent bass for towers even though you have a sub. You can get from Polk for under $2K on sale and they ship free and you can return with no return or shipping charge for a full refund after an audition period if you’re not satisfied.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe try something from RSL or svs with free in home trial?

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Thanks. This issue almost always seems to be with metal tweeters (and recently ribbon), so soft dome at least seem to be the way to go and are used on all the speakers I have that don't hurt my ears. My problem is there is nothing close to me to be able to audition. The days of hifi shops where I live are gone. I suppose I will have to drive 3 hours to Chicago... Thanks.
In days of yore and unEQ'd stereo - I would always avoid the metal tweeters... same reasons as yours... I fond soft dome tweeters were fine, stats were fine, Magneplanars, ribbons were not so common at the time (last century).

Some tweeter designs get nasty when they reach close to their limits... the metal ones tend to go harsh ... I assume that is the profile of their distortion.
But really that is only applicable when getting close to their SPL limits - so part of the equation may be what SPL's you are aiming for.

Most speaker measurements are taken at around 95db SPL @1m but won't tell you much about what happens with transient peaks at 105db...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It sounds to me as if you have hyperacusis. This is a symptom that should always have careful audiological evaluation. It has a wide range of causes, from aging, blast injuries and prolonged noise exposure. However it is always present in otosclerosis and this is a cause you don't want to miss, as it is curable by stapedectomy.

I think before you look to solve your problem by a speaker search you should have expert audiological and ENT evaluation. For one thing you can not be certain which frequencies are bothering you. So, an audiogram will give you vital information and perspective.

You are not going about this correctly.
I was thinking something along the same lines, some kind of sensitivity to sound altogether. Cantons are not known for being bright.

G

Georgethedog

Enthusiast
It sounds to me as if you have hyperacusis. This is a symptom that should always have careful audiological evaluation. It has a wide range of causes, from aging, blast injuries and prolonged noise exposure. However it is always present in otosclerosis and this is a cause you don't want to miss, as it is curable by stapedectomy.

I think before you look to solve your problem by a speaker search you should have expert audiological and ENT evaluation. For one thing you can not be certain which frequencies are bothering you. So, an audiogram will give you vital information and perspective.

You are not going about this correctly.
I do not have any of the other symptoms of that issue as shown by the Cleveland Clinic website, and I can play music loud if it isn't harsh. I go to concerts a lot and rarely have issues. Also, a Stapedectomy is not performed with people that have Hyperacusis. Hearing loss from otosclerosis is what is fixed with that surgery. I'm 61 so there is no harm in having them checked to see if certain frequencies bother me or if anything else is wrong, so thanks for that heads up. I had my ears checked about 5 years ago when I developed Tinnitus, but that was because there is a certain high frequency that I can barely hear now and my Dr. said that the mind is trying to compensate which is why I have Tinnitus. However, it is not real bad and I don't notice it most of the day... only at night when I'm in a quiet room. Thanks for you caring!

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Another brand that is generally viewed as on the "warmer" side of neutral is Sonus Faber. You might check out their Lumina and Sonetto series. I own the Lumina V's and I don't find them bright at all, although I can't hear much above 9,500 kHz. The Lumina V:

1711830732661.jpeg

Also, that Wharfedale EVO series may be "listenable" for you. I did try out an EVO 4 C center speaker and I didn't find the folded motion tweeter bright or harsh at all. If anything, I felt I might want a little more clarity. The EVO 4.4:

1711830611242.png

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I do not have any of the other symptoms of that issue as shown by the Cleveland Clinic website, and I can play music loud if it isn't harsh. I go to concerts a lot and rarely have issues. Also, a Stapedectomy is not performed with people that have Hyperacusis. Hearing loss from otosclerosis is what is fixed with that surgery. I'm 61 so there is no harm in having them checked to see if certain frequencies bother me or if anything else is wrong, so thanks for that heads up. I had my ears checked about 5 years ago when I developed Tinnitus, but that was because there is a certain high frequency that I can barely hear now and my Dr. said that the mind is trying to compensate which is why I have Tinnitus. However, it is not real bad and I don't notice it most of the day... only at night when I'm in a quiet room. Thanks for you caring!
Hearing loss always should have a full professional evaluation by ENT and audiology. You just can't predict what will turn up. I have experience of finding acoustic neuromas. Our best friends son had symptoms like yours and I insisted he be evaluated. An acoustic neuroma already too large for surgery was found. Fortunately it was able to be dealt with by a proton beam accelerator.

My experience is that if you don't follow protocol then bad things can happen. It always seemed to be the same guys names turning up with this sort of thing. A close colleague referred to them as "being wrong more often than by chance!"

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Still seems in OPs case eq could be more effective than speaker shopping....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah. System setup (EQ, speaker placement, room acoustics - rugs/carpets) is usually the quickest, simplest, and most cost-effective way.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You are absolutely correct. Setting the Eq to the inverse of his audiogram curve would be a huge benefit. This is exactly what skilled audiologists do when setting up modern digital hearing aids.

Haphazardly trying to find speakers the inverse of his hearing condition is a total lost cause.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
It is what it is, guys. We can either help him identify some "warm" speakers, or not. Maybe he's not interested in EQ.

G

Georgethedog

Enthusiast
Two things...
1. I'll make an appointment with ENT to check things.
2. I am going to attend then AXPONA show in Schaumburg, IL to demo some speakers. The two I will make sure to listen to are Wharfedale and Sonus Faber which were identified above by mtrot, and have been recommended to me by others. Both of these brands appear to have "warm" characteristics according to multiple sources and expert reviewers.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is there a listing of speaker companies and what they're bringing to Axpona? Might be interesting to get comments for a few other brands than just Wharfedale and SF....

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Is there a listing of speaker companies and what they're bringing to Axpona? Might be interesting to get comments for a few other brands than just Wharfedale and SF....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm, using their filters and choosing "speaker" and "manufacturer" not even Wharfdale or SF showed up (or many results at all)....even if I changed those to dealer or distributor hard to know what they're bringing....

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Hmmm, using their filters and choosing "speaker" and "manufacturer" not even Wharfdale or SF showed up (or many results at all)....even if I changed those to dealer or distributor hard to know what they're bringing....
Yes, I noticed that when I selected "Speaker", Acora Acoustics no longer appeared. Looks like the only way to see everything is to not filter the results at all. Some speakers will be there even if they don't appear in this list because various audio shops will also have their own rooms and demo certain speakers in them. I'd be shocked if there's not a room with SF. When I was there, I think they had a room with the Aida's. Probably the same with Revel and Paradigm speakers.

Last edited:
T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Ascend Accustics Sierra V2 should have the frequency response you’re looking for and are considered an excellent speaker. They even publish specs on their website, something virtually no speaker company will do

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Ascend Accustics Sierra V2 should have the frequency response you’re looking for and are considered an excellent speaker. They even publish specs on their website, something virtually no speaker company will do

Great company with excellent customer service. Designed, built (with imported components) and tested in California. They acoustically match pairs and even provide the testing results. Highly recommend!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis