Need Suggestions for a home theater build

S

smattera

Audiophyte
Hey guys,

I'm a total newb when it comes to home audio. Watts, rms -- don't understand any of that stuff.

But I'm looking to buy a setup for my new 65 inch plasma. My budget is around $800-1000. Will be used mostly for TV, movies and video games -- not music listening.

I'm renting a place right now and cannot install surround sound speakers, though I'd like to have that option available to me down the line.

So any suggestions for a receiver, pair of speakers, and sub-woofer to get started? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
S

smattera

Audiophyte
The room is about 300 square feet I would say.

EDIT:

I see those speakers aren't available on Amazon.

Is there a similar quality set I could get from Amazon or Newegg?

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
At $1K, I'd say 2.0 or 2.1 setup and a 2.1 might be pushing that budget. A refurb receiver: DENON AVR-1513 5.1ch Home Theater Receiver 3D ready | Accessories4less

with a pair of Amazon.com: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers: Electronics (these do go on sale often and can be found for around $90 usually).

Then a STF-2 Subwoofer sub.

Add Blu-ray player of choice. You could go a little higher on the receiver or add a matching center and you'll still be right around your budget.

Surround speakers don't need to be mounted to anything. The place where I live most of the time is a rental and I have surround. The funny thing is I don't have surround in my house because I am not there as often so less of a point to have a big system there.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Many "internet only" speaker manufacturers provide what many of us here feel are a superior product at a better price by circumventing the middleman.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I see those speakers aren't available on Amazon.

Is there a similar quality set I could get from Amazon or Newegg?
Internet Direct is a good option - however, if you want options from Newegg >

Definitive SM450 - they are nice
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 450 Pair Home Audio Speaker - Newegg.com

The Polk sub is also at Newegg

Also, this JBL sub - it has been measured to go below 30hz - which is decent
for the price - JBL SUB-150P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882665157

Denon receivers are also at Newegg

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com