Need sub recommendations

picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX

$648 shipped with free wireless transmitter.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html

Your old Emotiva sealed 10 will be no comparison to this in terms of output.
A+!!

I just sold mine off here and I have a much bigger room and gosh darn, that LFM-1 Plus (I had the PLUS) and it was an awesome sub. Oh yea,, it shook the $hit out of my dual leather sofas and I am not BS'ing either!!

By far my best sub purchase (I actually miss it) since I been home for the holidays. Now I am tooting around with a Impact-Mini. Talk about a down grade. lol.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have a quick question. In what direction should the side firing sub be facing?

Or should I go for the outlaw LFM-1 EX which is essentially an HSU VT3 MK3 but down firing?
The direction of the driver might or night not make a difference, depending on its placement with respect to the listening position. If you want to use it in a endtable type placement, you will want the driver facing toward the seat, at least if you like a more visceral sensation like I do. If the subwoofer is going to be up in the corner, it doesn't make much of a difference. The LFM is a lot like the VTF3, but the current sale with the wireless adapter makes it a pretty sweet deal. One performance difference between it and the VTF is the VTF has longer and wider ports, this supposedly helps it achieve high output a deep frequencies a bit better, but the difference certainly isn't dramatic. I have them both and I haven't been able to tell the difference, although I haven't directly compared them in any scientific way. They are both just terrific subwoofers.

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic
The direction of the driver might or night not make a difference, depending on its placement with respect to the listening position. If you want to use it in a endtable type placement, you will want the driver facing toward the seat, at least if you like a more visceral sensation like I do. If the subwoofer is going to be up in the corner, it doesn't make much of a difference. The LFM is a lot like the VTF3, but the current sale with the wireless adapter makes it a pretty sweet deal. One performance difference between it and the VTF is the VTF has longer and wider ports, this supposedly helps it achieve high output a deep frequencies a bit better, but the difference certainly isn't dramatic. I have them both and I haven't been able to tell the difference, although I haven't directly compared them in any scientific way. They are both just terrific subwoofers.
What is your opinion about outlaw's customer service? I have heard great things about hsu. Do you have an opinion on the customer service from outlaw?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I bought my Outlaw subs used, so I don't have any experience with their customer service. Everything that I have read about them were good experiences, and their costumer service seems to enjoy a good reputation, so I wouldn't worry about that. Here is a long thread with lots of praise for their costumer service.

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic
Finally pulled the trigger on a VF3-MK3 subwoofer. Now just anxiously awaiting its delivery :D

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Finally pulled the trigger on a VF3-MK3 subwoofer. Now just anxiously awaiting its delivery :D
Nice. If you are like me, now the cycle starts over.:eek:

Lucky for you, technology seems to have hit a wall.

I finished my system in '03, then came HDMI.:(

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You are going to enjoy your subwoofer! Some advice about placement. A very common place is in the corner, this is always a good place, but it might take some fine-tuning there to not sound 'boomy'. Another spot which works out very well with the VTF3 particularly is in a endtable type position, with the driver facing in toward the seating. That way your couch or seat get hammered by the woofer, and this can slightly shake your couch somewhat, thus creating a more visceral feeling. It's pretty cool, this is how I have mine arranged, once I heard it there I never went back to corner placement. If I were you I would experiment with different places to see where you like it best. Remember there is a whole forum for subwoofer placement advice on Hsu's message board, although I think with Hsu's big new hit with the VTF-15H, its probably really busy over there right now, and it takes a bit longer for Pete to respond than he normally would, but he will still get to you. You can also call them or email them for advice, they know placement is crucial for getting the most out of subwoofers and encourage their customers to ask them for advice about it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis