Need sub recommendations

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic
Hi All,

I have a dedicated 1770 cu feet media room.

I am looking for a sub woofer in 500-700 USD range. Shipping included preferably :)

I had purchased an Emotiva u10 but it could not move the air for me to feel the kick or the rumble.

Do I need a sealed or a ported sub-woofer given my room dimensions?

Also, kindly recommend a sub-woofer in my price range. My usage is 80% HT, 20% music.

Thanks!

Matt34

Matt34

How does this compare to an SVS subwoofer? I was looking at the PC-12 NSD, its a cylinder subwoofer. Are cylinders not good for HT usage?
The NSD-series of 12" subs from SVS will be very comparable to this and the HSU offerings.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
the outlaw is designed iirc by hsu so its a great deal though ive never heard it

however i feel ported subs wont like that room of yours. i recommend an epik legend or three

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Single 10" sealed sub is hardly good choice for HT usage and desire for tactile response..
I think OP's best bets for bass per buck goes in this order:
1) eD's A5-450 Kit
2) Epik Empire
3) SVS pc12-nsd
much later) outlaw LFM-1 EX

Given time OP's time constrains - Imo single Epik Empire is the way to go :D
The only trick would be properly position it...

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic
the outlaw is designed iirc by hsu so its a great deal though ive never heard it

however i feel ported subs wont like that room of yours. i recommend an epik legend or three
Why do you feel ported won't do? :( Also can you recommend where I should place the sub?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Why do you feel ported won't do? :( Also can you recommend where I should place the sub?
in a small room the deepest frequencies may become accentuated in such a small room and overpower. it couls still work perhaps with the low tuning option im juat not sure

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic
in a small room the deepest frequencies may become accentuated in such a small room and overpower. it couls still work perhaps with the low tuning option im juat not sure
But I am looking for something where i can feel the rolling thunder. Will a non-ported sub be able to do that?

Matt34

Matt34

I used dual HSU VTF3.2(almost the same thing as the Outlaw sub I recommended) in a sealed room similar in size of yours and they worked just fine.

The Empire will be way over budget after shipping that's why I didn't recommend it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The Empire will be way over budget after shipping that's why I didn't recommend it.
I see. You got a good point, but if OP interested in stretching a budget Empire is good option :D

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic
I see. You got a good point, but if OP interested in stretching a budget Empire is good option :D
Unfortunately 700 bucks in my absolute high end :( Therefore I am looking for something within that range only :)

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic
I used dual HSU VTF3.2(almost the same thing as the Outlaw sub I recommended) in a sealed room similar in size of yours and they worked just fine.

After some research I have decided to go with hsu VTF3 Mk3. Now I will call them and check if they can offer me a discount in shipping. Does HSU offer such discounts?

Matt34

Matt34

After some research I have decided to go with hsu VTF3 Mk3. Now I will call them and check if they can offer me a discount in shipping. Does HSU offer such discounts?
I don't think so unless they have a sale going on. I think you'll be very happy with the HSU. Experiment with the different tunes, you will probably be able to use it in max extension mode and get some really deep bass in that room.

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic
I don't think so unless they have a sale going on. I think you'll be very happy with the HSU. Experiment with the different tunes, you will probably be able to use it in max extension mode and get some really deep bass in that room.
Thanks!

Also, given my room dimensions and furniture, where would you recommend should be my starting location for the sub?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks!

Also, given my room dimensions and furniture, where would you recommend should be my starting location for the sub?
Put the subwoofer AT the listening position, play bass heavy tunes. Start crawling around the room, and listen for the spots where it sounds best. These will be your candidates for sub position. Do this when no one else is home so that you are not committed to the loony bin by loved ones.

I also agree with going with lowest extension. I believe that higher tunings allows for greater output, but since you don't need so much output with a modest room, you get to have a bit more extension . . .

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic
Put the subwoofer AT the listening position, play bass heavy tunes. Start crawling around the room, and listen for the spots where it sounds best. These will be your candidates for sub position. Do this when no one else is home so that you are not committed to the loony bin by loved ones.

I also agree with going with lowest extension. I believe that higher tunings allows for greater output, but since you don't need so much output with a modest room, you get to have a bit more extension . . .
Yeah! I have heard this approach and will try it out :)

Regarding tuning? This might sound like a dumb question, but is there a tutorial which explains how to go about doing this? :(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis