Need speaker recommendations

P

Pixxi78

Audiophyte
To preface this, I know little to nothing about AV equipment (not stupid just uneducated in this area). Generally read CNET buying guides and reviews from various sites to find quality products. My husband is much pickier about picture/sound quality, but doesn’t like to research products (just goes in the store and picks). However, once I’ve plugged in all the wires, he enjoys tweaking the settings.

The room is a converted garage 12’ x 24’ with 10 foot ceilings but the seating/TV area only takes up half of the room. Last year, we bought a Panasonic Vierra 50” plasma (TH50PZ85U) and are finally ready to update our audio equipment. Was initially planning on buying the Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver, but recently looked at Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K on CNET and liked it better (same price but more power and more attractive design). However, I am completely overwhelmed by speaker options so would like recommendations. Looking for a 5.1 speakers ~$500 (size not important). Primarily used for TV/movies but frequently used for music.

Current options (other recommendations welcome):
1) Onkyo SKS-HT540, SKS-HT750, or SKS-HT870 - Listed this option first since all speakers from the same company.
2) Energy Take Classic or Fluance SX-HTB 5 speaker sets but need to find a subwoofer for $200-300.

Thanks in advance,
Shannon

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
PIxxi,

Welcome aboard!

A full 5.1 speaker set for $500 is a pretty tall order without sacrificing a lot of quality.
However, Audioholics Store has several packages that are near that price range for the whole 5.1 enchilada:

EMP EF30C 5.1 LCR Speaker System $529 (65% off)
EMP ECA 5.1 Black Compact Speaker System $699 (56% off)
EMP ECA 5.1 White Compact Speaker System $699 (56% off)
Destination Audio F300R 5.1 Bookshelf System $649 (48% off)
Destination Audio F300C 5.1 LCR System $670 (50% off)

Here is the link:

http://store.audioholics.com/section/17/1/speaker-packages

Good Luck,
XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
One other idea. Strongly consider spending your ~$500 on a solid set of towers to anchor your audio system, and then slowly build to 5.1 over time. I ended up spending more money as I progressed through a "satellite" to the tower based system I now have (and much prefer).

If that idea interests you, the following speaker has had a lot of positive buzz around the forum as of late--especially for value: EMP Impression E5Ti Tower Speakers (Red Burl/pair)

An article on them (however the price is $400/pair not the stated $730/pair!)
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/emp-tek-e5ti

A link to the retail site:
http://store.audioholics.com/product/2715/66334/emp-impression-e5ti-tower-speakers--red-burl-pair-

XEagleDriver

P

Pixxi78

Audiophyte
XEagleDriver,
Thanks for all the recommendations. Buying a set of towers does sound like a good idea. I was planning on having to update our speakers in about a year anyway.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
I strongly agree with XEagleDriver. Spend as much as you can on just the towers and build from there. Its a sacrifice now, but you will be much happier a year or two from now.

av ed

Audiophyte
If you plan on buying a sub at some point, a good pair of bookshelf speakers wouldn't be a bad idea either. Just make sure they have decent bass response.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Pixxi

There are two camps here in Audioholics; one that goes for bookshelves fro the front speakers + center channel, + surrounds and a good sub or those who like towers for the main left/right front + center channel, + surrounds channel and a sub.

Both have trade offs and nothing is perfect. I'm off the latter camp where I have a good pair of towers up front. I chose this because I use my system 50/50 for music and HT and I don't like a sub when listening to music. The bass from my towers is more than enough for most music except for pipe organ music and rap, the latter which I don't listen too anyway. Its apersonal preference thing but its something you need to decide up front. Also, to help you choose ( I also suggest uping your budget to at least $1000 if possible if not more.) speakers, I would use the following approach;

What I would do is to take a pad of paper with you, write down the make and
model of each speaker you audition and what you liked and disliked about the
speakers you were auditioning. Was the bass tight and deep or was it boomy and loose sounding? Were the mids life like or were they hollow or just too pronounced? Was the treble irritating and harsh or were they dark and not revealing or were they smooththat made you want to listen for more? How was the imaging?

Bring music with you that you are very familiar with and know quite well. To
make it easier to audition HT speaker systems, listen to the main speakers in 2
channel mode with music. Music is much harder to reproduce accurately then a movie soundtrack so if the speakers do well with music, then they will do well with HT. Speakers that do HT well may not do well with music. When auditioning the center channel of the same brand and series as the main speakers, pick a difficult source like an announcer that mumbles alot. If you can understand what the mumbling announcer is saying, then you have a good center channel.

I would go to speciality stores first and start auditioning speakers first
instead of going to the internet first. Once your likes are determined, you can
mention them here and fellow members can make internet brand recommendations based on your likes/dislikes. The specality stores are better setup acousticaly then the big box stores which will make auditioning a little easier. It will give you an idea of what you like in a speaker.

Keep track of what amp or receiver is powering the speakers you're auditioning. Try to get a receiver/amp that closest resembles what you have or want to get. It just reduces another variable when audtioning speakers.

One thing to keep note off. When auditioning speakers, make sure the volume
levels are matched between the diiferent speaker pairs because the louder
speaker pair will always sound better. Listen to levels that you think you
would listen to most of the time because thats how you are going to be using
them most of the time.

W

wolf1979

Audiophyte
Will Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K drive E5Tis properly?

One other idea. Strongly consider spending your ~$500 on a solid set of towers to anchor your audio system, and then slowly build to 5.1 over time. I ended up spending more money as I progressed through a "satellite" to the tower based system I now have (and much prefer).

If that idea interests you, the following speaker has had a lot of positive buzz around the forum as of late--especially for value: EMP Impression E5Ti Tower Speakers (Red Burl/pair)

XEagleDriver
I am in a similar situation. I own a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-k receiver and use it with a Harman Kardon HKTS-14 5.1 system. I want to upgrade to towers, but I'm concerned about the 1019's ability to drive 6 ohm speakers like the E5Tis or even the new E55Tis. Will I experience clipping, overheating, or other problems? How much of the potential of these speakers would I get with this setup?

I will eventually upgrade the receiver, but that will be a couple years down the road. I don't think I can use a preamp for anything but the subwoofer with this receiver.

Thanks in advance!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I am in a similar situation. I own a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-k receiver and use it with a Harman Kardon HKTS-14 5.1 system. I want to upgrade to towers, but I'm concerned about the 1019's ability to drive 6 ohm speakers like the E5Tis or even the new E55Tis. Will I experience clipping, overheating, or other problems? How much of the potential of these speakers would I get with this setup?

I will eventually upgrade the receiver, but that will be a couple years down the road. I don't think I can use a preamp for anything but the subwoofer with this receiver.

Thanks in advance!
It depends on the size of the room you want to fill and how loud you want to play. I've a Trchnics SA-DX940 drive my PSB suite of 6 ohms speakers into the upper 80 db range without clipping in a room that was 12x16 ft in area with a 7' drop ceiling without problem.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
If you haven't yet purchased the Pioneer I would reconsider. I own its older brother and know from experience that Pioneer rates their power output very "optimistically". I was more than a bit disappointed in the VSX1014 and I think you'll probably find that you'll get more performance out of the 90w Onkyo TX-SR607 than you will out of the Pioneer. If money is tight you can sometimes find them refurbished on Accessories For Less for around $330 plus S&H. I bought a refurb for my bedroom and have no complaints.

For speakers I'm with the group that believes in starting with a good pair of left and right front speakers. Then as money allows add a center and a subwoofer. Then as money again allows add surrounds. Perhaps the Infinity Primus P362 for $300/pr from buy.com plus the matching C350 center for about $200. The P362 have an excellent reputation as bargain priced towers and with 93db efficiency the little Onkyo will drive the heck out of them. That's your $500. Then save up for a good subwoofer to give you that good bass rumble for movies. A Hsu Research STF-2 should be able to handle that space but by then you may be able to afford a SVS PC12NSD. I'd at least give the Infinities a listen at your local shop.

Here's another very good option but warning it's not as pretty. You could pick up a pair of Behringer B2030P bookshelf studio monitors for $130/pr and the Hsu subwoofer. The Behringers are a little industrial looking but sound amazing for the price. There are even some super simple DYI mods that make them sound even better. Anyway this gives you good musical performance and movie rumble now and you just add more pairs of B2030Ps later as a center, and 2 surrounds, and wind up with a spare. That spare can then be put away to later become part of a future bedroom system.

Last edited:
W

wolf1979

Audiophyte
It depends on the size of the room you want to fill and how loud you want to play. I've a Trchnics SA-DX940 drive my PSB suite of 6 ohms speakers into the upper 80 db range without clipping in a room that was 12x16 ft in area with a 7' drop ceiling without problem.
Thanks 3db. My room is 18'x15' with a 17' ceiling at one end sloping to 8' at the other; it is also open to other rooms and hallways. However, I rarely listen to music at very high levels (maybe when the wife and kids are gone). We just want a clean full sound for music and movies. I'm hoping this Pioneer will get me through the next year or two until I can justify an upgrade. I just don't want to damage new speakers!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks 3db. My room is 18'x15' with a 17' ceiling at one end sloping to 8' at the other; it is also open to other rooms and hallways. However, I rarely listen to music at very high levels (maybe when the wife and kids are gone). We just want a clean full sound for music and movies. I'm hoping this Pioneer will get me through the next year or two until I can justify an upgrade. I just don't want to damage new speakers!
Thats a fair size room. According to the E55Tis specs, their senstivity is 88db which places them as mid efficiency. You may be able to get the loudness levels to a comfortable lodness level without pushing the Pioneer but don't expect it to be able to fill the room room with really loud levels. You'll have to be disciplined with the volume control while you save your money for your next receiver. Keep the receiver well ventilated as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis