Need some opinions on DVD player

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
I recently bought an Onkyo Dvs-939 from a buddy upgrading his player. Quite honestly, Its too much of a player for me. Ive read reviews on it and run across a few of the same problems Ive encountered. DVD-A aside, I cant get the dang thing to play hardly any 20th Century DVDs. Ive called Onkyo about a firmware update and they said I needed to send it in. For the price of this unit, Ithink its pretty dumb that it has all these problems. Im considereing selling it on Ebay and staying with my old $300 Toshiba player. But before I sell it, I would like some input from others before I sell it. Oh, One last thing, Why do I have to send it to Onkyo for the firmware upgrade?? The player has a usb input on the back, I thought thats what you performed the upgrades with?

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
if he was a "buddy" as you mentioned he would have never sold you this unit.
he would have thrown it in the trash. it is one of the worst dvd players ever manuctured. it was a $17.99 player with a $1799.00 price tag. i would be interested to know if Onkyo's firmware update fixes any of the numerous problems that this player has. if you have to send it in its pobably more than a firmware update.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd go back to your buddy and ask for your money back.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
Why do you consider it so poor of a player. Other than the problems Ive encountered and read about, It gets pretty good reviews as far as picture quality and sound reproduction. I have an older Toshiba that works quite well for me, But if I sell the Onkyo, What reasonably priced player would you suggest? ($300-$500 range).

Io nly paid $400 for it, So I didnt get ripped too bad. Do yall have any other links to problems with this unit?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis