Need Recommendations - $600 Budget System

S

sddt

Audioholic
Hello, I want to get my dad setup on a 5.1 surround sound system and would like some advise on some of the best components for the money. I need a receiver with decent power and HDMI switching, a center channel speaker, 2 rear speakers that can be bracket mounted to the ceiling, and a subwoofer. I would like to keep it under $600 total if possible. Thank you for any advice!

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
My advice is forget 5.1 for now and start with a good quality 2.0 or 2.1 system instead.

Option 1
Two Infinity Primus P362 tower speakers for about $400 shipped. These commonly go on sale for as low as $300 a pair shipped. They do need some minor mods to really make them great but it's not hard. WmAx posted some instructions on here a while back. For the receiver I'd look at a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR507 for $240 or better yet a TX-SR607 for $320 shipping. Later you can save for a sub and the matched PC350 center and P162 bookshelves as surrounds.

Option 2
One pair of Behringer B2030P bookshelf studio monitors for $131/pr shipped. Later you can add two more pair to build out a 5.1 system (plus a spare). Again WmAx developed cheap and simple DYI mods to make these inexpensive speakers sound like speakers costing 3x as much. Add a $155 Dayton 12" subwoofer, and the Onkyo TX-SR607 and you're styling.

Option 3
If you absolutely must have a home theater in a box package deal then the only one that I would consider is the Onkyo HR-S7200 for $600. Mini-review.

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
you did not mention front L & R speakers in your "want list"...are you reusing an existing pair of speakers here ?

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
My advice is forget 5.1 for now and start with a good quality 2.0 or 2.1 system instead.

Option 1
Two Infinity Primus P362 tower speakers for about $400 shipped. These commonly go on sale for as low as $300 a pair shipped. They do need some minor mods to really make them great but it's not hard. WmAx posted some instructions on here a while back. For the receiver I'd look at a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR507 for $240 or better yet a TX-SR607 for $320 shipping. Later you can save for a sub and the matched PC350 center and P162 bookshelves as surrounds.
I like this option the best.

S

sddt

Audioholic
Yes, I already have 2 very nice speakers for the front. I really don't need that great of a system and it is not worth it to me to pay this much for super nice stereo. There must be a surround receiver in the $200-$250 range, center speaker/sub/rears for ~$100 each, no?

S

sddt

Audioholic
Ooops. Should have read the first response completely before posting. Thanks for the recommendations sholling! Any suggestions for a nice center channel speaker?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Ooops. Should have read the first response completely before posting. Thanks for the recommendations sholling! Any suggestions for a nice center channel speaker?
The center needs to be a timbre match for whatever you use for left and right fronts. That generally means the same brand and product line. If you don't get a close timbre match you'll find the switch from one front to the center and then to the other front as something moves across the soundstage obvious and distracting. Matching the surrounds is far less of an issue.

S

sddt

Audioholic
Well, not sure of the brand but I know my dad said his stereo was around $2000 in 1980 so either he got ripped off or they are pretty nice. I know from personal experiance that they sound great! I will try to get the brand though. If not could you give me a somewhat safe recommendatiofor a center channel?

S

sddt

Audioholic
So I got the brand of the front and left speakers.

They are Miller & Kreisel now called mksound/mkprofessional.

S

sddt

Audioholic
Any suggestions for good outdoor speakers for around $200?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Well, not sure of the brand but I know my dad said his stereo was around $2000 in 1980 so either he got ripped off or they are pretty nice. I know from personal experiance that they sound great! I will try to get the brand though. If not could you give me a somewhat safe recommendatiofor a center channel?
I would contact MK's US affiliate and see what they recommend for a center.

I don't have any experience with outdoor speakers but the main site has reviews.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/architectural

Last edited:
wilmeland

wilmeland

Audioholic Intern
The outdoor speaker you linked to is a single speaker with dual tweeter config. Can't vouch for these speakers, as I haven't listened to, but for $20 more they're selling pair -same brand, Polk, but with single tweeters. Unless you have no place to mount 2, You'd probably be happier with the pair.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/546199696/polk-atrium60-white

While you're at this site, you might want to check out the bundles on Jamo c401 & center / surround speakers. For $240, you'd have a nice matched set of speakers & just use the M & K's for another room. I've listened to the c401, very clean & it's a huge bargain for a bookshelf speaker. Add a sub & I think you'd be really pleased. They even have a 5.1 package with small sub for $399 - but not sure about the small Jamo sub.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542471827/

S

sddt

Audioholic

Option 1

Option 2
One pair of Behringer B2030P bookshelf studio monitors for $131/pr shipped. Later you can add two more pair to build out a 5.1 system (plus a spare). Again WmAx developed cheap and simple DYI mods to make these inexpensive speakers sound like speakers costing 3x as much. Add a $155 Dayton 12" subwoofer, and the Onkyo TX-SR607 and you're styling.

Option 3
If you absolutely must have a home theater in a box package deal then the only one that I would consider is the Onkyo HR-S7200 for $600. Mini-review.
So for the bookshelf speakers you mentioned here, would they be able to be mounted to a ceiling with a mount?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
So for the bookshelf speakers you mentioned here, would they be able to be mounted to a ceiling with a mount?
I've never done it but I don't see why not. If that's what you want then I'd research ceiling mounts and chack their size and weight limits.

S

sddt

Audioholic
Any suggestions on where I could begin looking for something that holds at least 15lbs.? I did a quick google search but only found cheezy mounts that max out at 10lbs. The speakers you recommended are 15.4 lbs. each so a mount that can hold 20 would make me feel alot better!

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Any suggestions on where I could begin looking for something that holds at least 15lbs.? I did a quick google search but only found cheezy mounts that max out at 10lbs. The speakers you recommended are 15.4 lbs. each so a mount that can hold 20 would make me feel alot better!
Hmmmm, I'm not seeing anything big enough but like I said I've never hung speakers from the ceiling. If you decide to wall mount I can recommend PinPoint's AM10. I use those in my bedroom. I'm also about to order AM40 wall mounts for my family room.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I use these. Omnimount might very well be the most used, and oft recommended. However, you really have to torque the allen to make sure there is no give so that the speakers do not droop further. Wire mgmt is simply a black sheath (not the best, but oh well).

http://www.amazon.com/OmniMount-Stainless-Steel-Speaker-Ceiling/dp/B00006LHDV

However, if I did it all over again, I would have kept my original, larger bookshelves (instead of looking for a pair that had keyhole/mount), just drill into them, and then use much beefier mounts like the ones rmk uses for his JTRs. Up to 44 lbs. ;)

http://www.htd.com/speaker-cables-accessories/Wall-Mount-Speaker-Brackets/BR1-Heavy-Duty-Brackets

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis