Need receiver recommendations!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Brian, if you have more than one distinct location that you like to sit while listening to your system, Pioneer is the way to go. Audyssey cannot store more than one configuration, while Advanced MCACC can. That's the biggest reason that I prefer Pioneer. I often sit in either the center of the room or off to the side, and those two locations have distinctly different optimal speaker timings. Audyssey couldn't accommodate that.

If you don't, then I think Audyssey and MCACC are similar. I haven't used the top-end Audyssey, but I have used MultEQ (now called Bronze, I guess) in a Denon, Onkyo, and two Marantz receivers. I thought it did a real nice job for a single location.
Thanks! yeah I started digging into the specs of the Audyssey MultEQ XT and the upper level Pioneer version. Both look very good, and the Dynamic Volume and EQ on Denon are perfect for apartment living. Either way, still got some time before I'll have the rest of the cash ready. Who knows what will go on sale then.

SheepStar

D

drdawg

Junior Audioholic
Can i reply here with a question as I am also looking for a receiver. I am open to buying wherever but basically need it for the family room. Going to have it hiddne in the closet and 50 ft HDMI to my TV in the walls.

Not looking for the big one...just something with decent sound. I have 5 speakers and a sub. If hidden in the closet are there certain ones that i don't have to add on to to make it so the control can see it? if i have to get some "eyes" i don't even know where to start.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Can i reply here with a question as I am also looking for a receiver. I am open to buying wherever but basically need it for the family room. Going to have it hiddne in the closet and 50 ft HDMI to my TV in the walls.

Not looking for the big one...just something with decent sound. I have 5 speakers and a sub. If hidden in the closet are there certain ones that i don't have to add on to to make it so the control can see it? if i have to get some "eyes" i don't even know where to start.
All the remote controls I'm familiar with work by infra-red (IR). It can pass through glass, but not walls or wooden doors. For a system in a closet, you need a way to get the signal through the door, an IR repeater, or a radio frequency (RF) extender. I've not used one, but I know where you can read about them:

IR Distribution in the Home Audio / Video Department at Parts Express | 135

Home Remote Controls in the Home Audio / Video Department at Parts Express | 117

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall

Another option to consider is using IP control (Roomie) with a app or Logitech remotes with Wifi.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/universal-remotes#

- Rich

F

Fitnessfun

Audiophyte
Well, I'd say it depends on your price range. If you're looking for one around $400 I'd get the Yamaha RX-V675. It has everything you need. Another great Yamaha is the Yamaha RX-V671. This one got a great review here Best AV Receiver for the Money 2014 Review and the other was a top seller on Amazon.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Im not sure if space is a concern for you.. if it is Yamaha just release a new low profile unit.
Yamaha Slim 300-Watt 5.1 Channel Network Receiver (RXS600 B) : Home Theatre Receivers - Future Shop
I myself just purchased a Marantz NR-1504 which I really like. For 7.1 you can check out the NR-1604
Marantz 7.1 Channel A/V Network Receiver (NR1604) : Home Theatre Receivers - Future Shop
Either way aesthetically both units are a lot easier to integrate into your system and, while I'm not sure about the Yamaha, my Marantz so far has been awesome (for the entire week that I've had it).
Good luck with your purchase.

oqpi

oqpi

Audioholic Intern
Greetings!

I'm in the market for a new receiver, and with $275 bucks in gift cards for futureshop, I have a decent range at my disposal. Problem is, I'm a Yamaha guy. My trusty RXV440 is now outdated, lacking hdmi, as well as any hd codec support and 7.1. This would normally not be an issue, Yamaha makes lots of receivers that fill that void, but none of them are available any longer. The new ones are coming but they aren't here yet. The RXV575 and 675 are sold out, the only ones left are the 375 and 1075.

This is made me starting thinking; I don't know jack about current receivers. I don't know what brands are reputable (although I will not buy an onkyo, don't even try recommending one), I don't know who's making the best what's. I know Yamaha has great dsp's, but I don't even use the ones I have, so it's not a huge selling feature.

So I need advice. And I'll do you a favor and narrow it down, I can only buy from futureshop. Go there to see a list of what's available (make sure it says in stock, I live I British Columbia).

Thanks!
SheepStar
Try Outlaw RR2155 Stereo reciever WITH the Ultra-X12 sub woofer. It works magic in my home...
This might be the best solution if you dont have 50k to spend on stereo.. because the subwoofer is filtered to take the biggest load into its power amp, which frees the receiver for the stand floor speakers...
I am amazed about the sound produced through the Monitor Audio RX6... cannot believe I can hear even more detail than from my La Scala driven by Bryston and sourced by Naks... really impressed...
Try it.. the whole system costed me less than $2500...
And get a WYRD (made by Schiit Audio) USB decrapifier to clean the USB path and you can stream audio from you tube at CD quality...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Try Outlaw RR2155 Stereo reciever WITH the Ultra-X12 sub woofer. It works magic in my home...
This might be the best solution if you dont have 50k to spend on stereo.. because the subwoofer is filtered to take the biggest load into its power amp, which frees the receiver for the stand floor speakers...
I am amazed about the sound produced through the Monitor Audio RX6... cannot believe I can hear even more detail than from my La Scala driven by Bryston and sourced by Naks... really impressed...
Try it.. the whole system costed me less than $2500...
And get a WYRD (made by Schiit Audio) USB decrapifier to clean the USB path and you can stream audio from you tube at CD quality...
Old thread dude.

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis