Need receiver: Onkyo TX-sr876

30PlusRetlaw

Enthusiast
HI. I just order a set of Polk monitors 70, Polk cs2 and stf-2 for my first HT. Im looking now for a receiver. I read good things about the Onkyo. My primary use will be Movies and secondary music. I wll say 60/40. I don't listen to music too often so not to picky on the music side. My room is 14x18 open in one side. I found one selling for $688 + shipping, is this a good price? Any other options on receivers you guys can recomend? Thanks in advance.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The 876 is soon to be a 2 year old model and I'm assuming based on that price that it's used because even refurbs (when available) sell for $850. The 876 was a 50lbs beast of a receiver with an exceptional amplifier section and powerful video processing features. I have the TX-NR 906 and about the only think I can thing of that you may not like is that some of the big Onkyos make a clicking sound when switching input sources. I assume that it's briefly disconnecting the amplifier while it switches sources but that's just an assumption. It doesn't bother me at all but some people obsess over it.

30PlusRetlaw

Enthusiast
I contacted the company and they claim is brand new with full warrantie, not used or refurbish. But the paymen method is kind of "shady" This is the reply e-mail

Dear customer,

The product is in stock and is new, authentic, sealed in original box(not refurbished). Also it will come with a standard international product warranty.
We have free shipping on orders over USD 900.00
On orders under USD 900.00 the shipping cost is USD 11.50
The delivery time to United States customers via FedEx is 3-5 days.

---------------------------------
Unfortunately for the moment we can't process orders via Credit Card and PayPal due to the credit card third party processor failure so "Money in minutes via credit card" , "Western Union" and "Money Gram" remains our backup payment method and we apologies for this inconvenience.
Please complete the order and select "Money in minutes via credit card"(if your order does not exceeds USD 999.99) or "Western Union"and "Money Gram" as payment method.

Then you will receive the "Order Process" in your email box with the instructions of payment.

About us:
---------------------------------
Our company has been rapidly expanding its business by buying unsold units in bulk from other developers that are struggling with weak sales and tight financing, and reselling them to our customers at big discounts.

Also we don't accept orders under USD 300.00

S

Superfly

Audioholic Intern
just my view when I buy online or over the phone I use Paypal or Credit card.
I prefer Credit card. Remember your card has insurance protection also(Just check to see if your card has it some don't) . bonus is you can get an extra year of warranty from the credit company

B

Ben_in_COSpring

Junior Audioholic
Sounds like a shady operation to me. None of those payment methods offer any recourse for disputing the transaction if anything goes wrong.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I have to agree, if your heart is set on the 876 look here it's a refurb but it comes from an authorized Onkyo dealer.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately for the moment we can't process orders via Credit Card and PayPal due to the credit card third party processor failure so "Money in minutes via credit card" , "Western Union" and "Money Gram" remains our backup payment method and we apologies for this inconvenience.
Please complete the order and select "Money in minutes via credit card"(if your order does not exceeds USD 999.99) or "Western Union"and "Money Gram" as payment method.
I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. The western union thing is a huge red flag.

30PlusRetlaw

Enthusiast
I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. The western union thing is a huge red flag.
Yup!! When a company have no CC option is because their merchand account is suspended for too many complaints. I went to BBB direct and search for the company and they got a big "F" contrary to the "A+" they advertice in their page. A shame because they got good prices........LOL.

30PlusRetlaw

Enthusiast
Sholling I found a denon 3310 for $790. The 876 is $850. The denon seller is a stone trow away and if he let me pick up, I would save the shipping. The 876 is 20 buck shipping. But I would have to pay 6% tax on the Denon.

30PlusRetlaw

Enthusiast
The seller just responded to my question and knock $50 more off the price. Now the 3310ci is $740. Plus $44 Tax. Which of this 2 have a better 1080 upscaling?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I honestly couldn't tell you. Video upscaling and a by-gosh beefy amp were supposed to be the 876's forte. But I don't ever use a receiver for upscaling because both of my TVs have really powerful upscaling capabilities of their own.

Hopefully someone with more Denon time can help. One thing to keep in mind is that Denon only honors warranties when you by from an authorized dealer. On the other hand you'll also want to keep in mind that Onkyos - especially the big boys, run really warm and need to be placed someplace with some breathing room around them.

30PlusRetlaw

Enthusiast
What is THX ultra 2? I see that the older 876 have it but not the Denon. Is this an important feature? Deal braker os not? Sholling, thanks for all the answers.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
What is THX ultra 2? I see that the older 876 have it but not the Denon. Is this an important feature? Deal braker os not? Sholling, thanks for all the answers.
I think it's just going to come down to features and what priority you put on what features. Oh and how strong your stand is - that 876 is a 50lb beast of a receiver. :D

Here's a good description of THX Ultra II:
http://www.hometheatermag.com/bootcamp/116/

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Which of this 2 have a better 1080 upscaling?
Bench tests would show the the Reon equipped 876 the clear winner. In real world use I would bet you cannot tell them apart. In my opinion (based on my own experience)the quality of the source materials influence the upscaled PQ much more than mid range (such as the AVR-3310 and higher models) AVR/player/TV's video processors do, to the point I am quite confident in a controlled test most people who don't have golden eyes could not tell the difference. Again, I am talking about watching real world DVDs, not video test discs.

30PlusRetlaw

Enthusiast
Thanks guys for all the help. I pick up the 3310 today for $740 refurbish. Now I need to go buy some speaker cable and connectors. I'm waiting on the Sub that should be here today. Then I need to make some time to get all this put together. Thanks once again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis