Need opinions please - Bash 300W amp for dead Polk sub or buy new Bic F12???

Peart2112

Peart2112

Enthusiast
Hello all, this is my first post! Thanks for all the great posts, I learn more here than any other site.

I have a Polk PSW-125 sub with a bad amp and want to know what makes more sense. The Polk hums and sputters without being hooked up to my receiver, plugged into other outlets, different cable, etc.

Buy a Bash 300W plate amp for the Polk sub or buy a new Bic F12 sub?

The Bash is currently on sale on PE for $119, the Bic can be had usually for around $198. I am handy enough to modify the Polk to accept the new plate amp. Money is an issue, otherwise I would go for an SVS PB-1000.

My current system is a Marantz NR-1402, Def Tech SM350 fronts, ProCenter 1000, ProMonitor 800 rears. In a living room that is roughly 2,500 cubic feet with one side open to a dining area. Typical use is 80% movies/TV and 20% music.

Thanks in advance.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Based upon the spec's of the Polk PSW-125 I suspect it's more woofer then subwoofer, so it may behoove you to pick up something else. The F-12 will probably work better, given your circumstances.

Peart2112

Peart2112

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. I am concerned about throwing money at a sub-par box and driver, hoping it would sound passable with the new Bash amp. Not that the F12 is a world beater but for that little money I can at least get some 'oomph' back in my system.

Peart2112

Peart2112

Enthusiast
I bought the Polk off the floor of an HHG in Tampa for $179 about four years ago. At the time I was saying WOW and I did get my money's worth I suppose, now I know better.

For $98 I could p!ss off my wife AND fill the garage! Like she did with her stuff. :D

Thanks for link, that could work for the short term.

Last edited:
Peart2112

Peart2112

Enthusiast
I was looking at that one as well, the size, enclosure, and the driver look identical to my Polk. Thanks.

Peart2112

Peart2112

Enthusiast
Jman, I read the other post regarding the NXG sub but didn't want to hi-jack his thread. I read your review on it yesterday and think I may go for that one instead of the Bic F12, which I just got permission to buy. Based on your review and the fact it goes lower than the Bic F12, I may swing the extra $60 for the NXG. Any thoughts? Thanks.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Jman, I read the other post regarding the NXG sub but didn't want to hi-jack his thread. I read your review on it yesterday and think I may go for that one instead of the Bic F12, which I just got permission to buy. Based on your review and the fact it goes lower than the Bic F12, I may swing the extra $60 for the NXG. Any thoughts? Thanks.
I've never heard the F12 unfortunately, so I can't really comment on that one. I suspect few other subwoofers under $300 will be as articulate as the NXG though, which for me is extremely important, so I have no hesitation recommending it.

One thing perhaps worth mentioning... I never quite achieved the depth NXG claimed their sub could do, at least not with usable output. I suspect BIC has taken liberties in that regard as well, but I can't say for certain. Either way, take those numbers with a grain of salt; while the NXG is no slouch, extension below 20Hz requires something more than a $250 subwoofer.

Peart2112

Peart2112

Enthusiast
Good point, thanks. I will be crossing my Def Tech SM-350's at 80hz as usually recommended. The SM-350's have been troopers through my "sub-less" period, the bass radiator sure helps a bit.

Peart2112

Peart2112

Enthusiast
Ah yes, the old 505 versus F12 fight! I have read a ton of reviews on Amazon comparing the two and have gone blind in the process. I see the RMS power is higher on the Polk, that could sway me. I like the warranty on the Bic though.

Does every junior Audioholic tear themselves apart like this on a $200 decision? Jeez.... =)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Like I said the bic is nice but the polk is better for the same money, to me its an ez decision...

And as for obsessing over the $200 sub we all do it, then a couple years later you will be asking why you didnt just buy the HSU VTF15 from the atart....

Peart2112

Peart2112

Enthusiast
Yea, that sub would be great, but I like sleeping indoors. It gets a bit hot here in Florida. =)

Only odd thing is Polk doesn't have the 505 on their website. Not that it matters too much, so long as they honor their warranty.

Thanks.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I see the RMS power is higher on the Polk, that could sway me.
It really shouldn't. Without knowing the parameters of the driver each company uses the power rating is not all that significant when trying to ascertain output potential or sound quality. There's also different classes of amplifiers; a 200 watt class D will have more usable power than a 300 watt class A/B, so that needs to be considered as well.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Only odd thing is Polk doesn't have the 505 on their website. Not that it matters too much, so long as they honor their warranty.
That's because it's discontinued, and has been for a while now actually.

Peart2112

Peart2112

Enthusiast
I found the Polk under their "vintage" section. Neither the Polk or Bic websites shows what class of amp they are, just 'their' ratings and both are made by Bash.

I did find a circa 2005 review on the 505 by none other than Ed Mullen of SVS. Based on what I read it was average at best, but for $199, etc, etc.

Thanks again for the advice and info J.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Ed Mullen did some of the best reviews ever. I really liked his style.

Peart2112

Peart2112

Enthusiast
It's a good read, written for the expert and newbie, has all the high-end tests with a good explanation of what means what. Easy enough to find on Google and the only pro review on the 505 I found.

That sounds like the one I will get here in another week, I will post pics of my system once it is in.

Peart2112

Peart2112

Enthusiast
So I settled on the Bic F12 after all this time, sounds good so far for $182 from Amazon. At first it sounded a bit thick when listening to basic movies on TV, then I threw in my RUSH "Snakes & Arrows" Blu-Ray and the sound improved dramatically (as it should). I flipped it to stereo mode and played the Peart drum solo and was very impressed. Thanks again for all the advice fellas.

Front End 092813.jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis