speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I just recently got back into the game. Bought me a set of the Sony Core SS-CS5 bookshelf that will be used as my fronts. I compared the Core Bookshelfs to the Core towers and I much preferred the Core bookshelf. As such, I also bought the Sony Core SS-CS8 matching Center. But for my rears, I bought a set of the Polk T-15's. The Core bookshlefs are rear ported so putting them on my walls was a no go. Even on stands, I would not have the room in my little apartment to position them properly. The Polk T-15's have key-hole slots on the back which will make for easy mounting to my walls above my seated position.

Now that my front-stage and rear-stage is set I need a new AVR. I no longer am able to get the great discount on Yammy receivers that I used to get. The store recently closed. I can, however, get really good deals on Onkyo products/receivers. Unfortunately, many are still reporting HDMI video boards going out due to excessive heat that has been a problem for Onkyo for as long as I remember. The sad part is, I was offered an open box buy on an Onkyo TX-NR646 receiver for $450 plus tax at my local Best Buy. I declined. Just hope I made the right choice?

In the mean time, I have narrowed my list down quite a bit. Currently, I am looking at the following:

Yammy RX-V679 I can get this receiver for $420, free shipping, and a (3) year warranty from accessories4less. In my opinion, the 679 is the best bargain in the Yammy line of receivers.

Marantz 1506/1606 I can get the 1506 for $420, free shipping, and (3) year warranty from accessories4less. I really only need 5.2, but I can get the 1606 for only $80 more with free shipping and a (3) year warranty. Leaning heavily towards the 1606!

Denon AVR-X2200W I can get this one for $500, free shipping, and a (3) year warranty. Owned Denon before and loved it. However, not sure about this one. This is also available from accessories4less.

Lastly, I am taking a very close look at the Sony STR-DN1060. It is on sale for $450 plus tax at my local BB. This one has gotten great reviews both from professionals and users alike. I even like the way it looks. Really wanted to bring the 1060 home today. But, wanted to get some good advice before pulling the trigger.

So there you have it. These are the AVRs I am highly considering and are in my budget. I noticed I can get the Marantz 1506 at Crutchfield for $500 new with a (3) year warranty. Is it better to go ahead and get a new one as compared to the refurb? I know accessories4less is highly respected here. Please help if you can. I am always open to suggestions. Thank YOU for YOUR time.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
selden

selden

Audioholic
I'd suggest contacting an authorized reseller of Denon or Marantz equipment on the phone and getting a quote that way.

There are lots of reasons: Crutchfield always charges current MSRP and won't discount. Best Buy will price-match locally published prices, but... D+M authorized resellers are not allowed to publish anything other than current MSRP. D+M usually will give you a very hard time when you try to get them to honor their warranty if you did not purchase your unit from an authorized reseller. A4L's refurbished equipment usually comes with only a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, so I suspect the extended warranty isn't provided by Marantz.

Personally, I prefer to do business with a local A/V store (not Best Buy!). They don't provide the best discounts, but they do provide services at no additional cost that an internet reseller can't provide.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Of those you listed, I would say either the Sony or the Denon. I suggest you called Accessory for less to see if they will sell you a new X3100W for the same price as the X2200W or even slightly more. It is a major step up.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Denon x3100 brand new for $500 would be great. Amazon had it for $500 few months ago.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Of those you listed, I would say either the Sony or the Denon. I suggest you called Accessory for less to see if they will sell you a new X3100W for the same price as the X2200W or even slightly more. It is a major step up.
I will be more than happy to call acc4less. I agree the Sony looks promising. Read so many reviews where most swear it has excellent sound quality. So, why is the 3100W a step-up other than power? It looks to also be a nice receiver, but it is NOT HDCP2.2 compliant. Perhaps, that is NOT a deal breaker though.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The Denon x3100 brand new for $500 would be great. Amazon had it for $500 few months ago.
I will look into it. So, why do YOU feel the 3100W is a good choice for me? More power perhaps? Just curious is all.

Cheers,

Phil

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I will look into it. So, why do YOU feel the 3100W is a good choice for me? More power perhaps? Just curious is all.

Cheers,

Phil
It's what I would do for me or my family.

The X3100 is a $1K AVR. It has Audyssey XT Dynamic EQ subwoofer/bass management, which I think is salient. I would never buy an AVR or pre-pro w/o Audyssey Dynamic EQ at any price. It also has pre-outs for ext amp if you fancy. I also have the X3100 and AVR-3312. :)

But that's my experience.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It's what I would do for me or my family.

The X3100 is a $1K AVR. It has Audyssey XT Dynamic EQ subwoofer/bass management, which I think is salient. I would never buy an AVR or pre-pro w/o Audyssey Dynamic EQ at any price. It also has pre-outs for ext amp if you fancy. I also have the X3100 and AVR-3312. :)

But that's my experience.
Wow! Sounds like a great receiver. The bass management will come in handy since I plan to employ (2) subs. I will certainly look into the 3100W. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Okay, I have now found myself looking at more receivers. I really like what I see regarding the Denon AVR-X3100W receiver. It has everything I could ask for except being HDCP2.2 compliant. Is that really a deal breaker? For many it seems it is no big deal. Acc4less has it for $450 with free shipping and a (1)-year warranty. Should I get the extended warranty for $40 more? Also, I can also get a Marantz SR6009 for $550 with free shipping. Which of these two is better for my money? The 6009 is NOT HDCP2.2 complaint either. They both seem like they are nearly identical. Just the 6009 is $100 more.

I also like the Yammy RX-A740 for only $320 with free shipping. It is NOT HDCP2.2 compliant as well. Crutchfield has a brand new Onkyo TX-NR737 for $500 and free shipping. I would get a (2)-year warranty because it is new. The 737 has a lot going for it, but I am a bit concerned about the HDMI video board issues. The last Onkyo I owned got way too hot. The 737 is HDCP2.2 compliant. Lastly, Onkyo does NOT use Audyssey any longer....so how does the AccuEQ compare? Anyone know?

Lastly, there still is the Sony STR-DN1060. Lots of strong reviews. I really like the way it looks and it comes with a (2)-year warranty. It also is HDCP2.2 compliant. Okay, once more which way should I go? I am leaning towards the Denon 3100W right now. Wished it was HDCP2.2 compliant. Please help.

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, I have now found myself looking at more receivers. I really like what I see regarding the Denon AVR-X3100W receiver. It has everything I could ask for except being HDCP2.2 compliant. Is that really a deal breaker? For many it seems it is no big deal. Acc4less has it for $450 with free shipping and a (1)-year warranty. Should I get the extended warranty for $40 more? Also, I can also get a Marantz SR6009 for $550 with free shipping. Which of these two is better for my money? The 6009 is NOT HDCP2.2 complaint either. They both seem like they are nearly identical. Just the 6009 is $100 more.

I also like the Yammy RX-A740 for only $320 with free shipping. It is NOT HDCP2.2 compliant as well. Crutchfield has a brand new Onkyo TX-NR737 for $500 and free shipping. I would get a (2)-year warranty because it is new. The 737 has a lot going for it, but I am a bit concerned about the HDMI video board issues. The last Onkyo I owned got way too hot. The 737 is HDCP2.2 compliant. Lastly, Onkyo does NOT use Audyssey any longer....so how does the AccuEQ compare? Anyone know?

Lastly, there still is the Sony STR-DN1060. Lots of strong reviews. I really like the way it looks and it comes with a (2)-year warranty. It also is HDCP2.2 compliant. Okay, once more which way should I go? I am leaning towards the Denon 3100W right now. Wished it was HDCP2.2 compliant. Please help.

Cheers,

Phil
People seem to just want HDCP 2.2 whether they need it or not. It is almost silly to worry about it now and pay premium for it when it may still not be 100% risk free. I would say by the time you need it, you may be ready to upgrade again anyway. For now, my HT room is too small for 4K anyway so I am almost sure I won't need it unless and until I move to a bigger house but the chance of that happening is about 0.01%.

Between the 6009 and 3100, if you don't need multichannel analog inputs (most people don't), you can save the $100 because the two is going to sound identical with identical settings or pure direct. They both have preouts, and the amp section is a little more robust than the X2200W.

I still think you should call Accessory for less to see if they have brand new ones coming soon, instead of buying the refurbished ones.

Edit: If you are going to call them, may as well ask about the SR5009, may be you can get one of those brand new for $499.99, you never know..

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
People seem to just want HDCP 2.2 whether they need it or not. It is almost silly to worry about it now and pay premium for it when it may still not be 100% risk free. I would say by the time you need it, you may be ready to upgrade again anyway. For now, my HT room is too small for 4K anyway so I am almost sure I won't need it unless and until I move to a bigger house but the chance of that happening is about 0.01%.

Between the 6009 and 3100, if you don't need multichannel analog inputs (most people don't), you can save the $100 because the two is going to sound identical with identical settings or pure direct. They both have preouts, and the amp section is a little more robust than the X2200W.

I still think you should call Accessory for less to see if they have brand new ones coming soon, instead of buying the refurbished ones.

Edit: If you are going to call them, may as well ask about the SR5009, may be you can get one of those brand new for $499.99, you never know..
I am much closer now that I have been rather busy eliminating. Thus, I am no longer interested in the Sony STR-DN1060. Reason being, there just seems to be a lot of confusion about the unit itself. Reading through the reviews, it has become rather obvious that the instructions are NOT very helpful and/or poorly written. There is no doubt in my mind that the 1060 is an excellent receiver. That is, if one has the time and patience to get it tweaked properly. Personally, I prefer something that is much more straight-forward and easier to use.

On the higher end of my price range is the Marantz SR6009 coming in at $550. The Denon AVR-X3100W is essentially the same receiver for $450. However, many swear that the Marantz receivers has somewhat of a "warmer" sound to them. As such, the Marantz receivers are very popular among those that emphasize musicality. To be honest, I have never owned a Marantz myself. But, I have owned a Denon and I loved it! Not sure which way to go? I do, however, put a lot of emphasis on music.

Both the 3100 and the 6009 will allow me to experiment with adding front "height" or "width" speakers to my front-stage. I only have the room for 5.1./5.2 so adding a couple of speakers to the front-stage should enhance things somewhat. The questions is, however, should I add to the height or the width? Perhaps, my experimentation will answer that one.

Now that leaves me with the Yammie RX-A740 which can be had for only $320! I really like the price. The 730 according to S&V had some dismal video issues. There were some other things mentioned, but none of it concerned me. But, the dismal video issues sure do. I just hope the 740 took care of that. Most of the reviews I found on the 740 were highly favorable. If I go with the 740, I will have to give up the height or width experimentation. Not really a major issue or a deal breaker for me though.

Right now I am leaning towards the 3100 for $450 shipped. I don't mind to spend an extra $100 to get the Marantz if the sound of the Marantz is really that much better musically speaking? You know the "warmer" sound signature? The Yammie 740 sure has my attention as well. YPAO has worked well for me in the past and that was w/o RSC.

Lastly, this project has really turned into a challenge. By that, I mean I seem to be looking to get great sound/performance w/o spending a ton of money so to speak. So far, I have $294.25 invested in my front/rear stage speakers. I may plan to go get another set of the $50 Polks to use as the added height/width speakers. Even then, I will only be out $347.75. Not bad if you ask me. That is why I am highly considering getting the Yammie 740 over the Denon 3100. Kinda looks like I have it narrowed down to these two. Unless, someone here can convince me to opt for the Marantz 6009?

Quick Note: I am NOT concerned with the HDCP2.2 compliance nor do I even care about Atmos. Just do NOT have the room/budget for it. If I go with one of these refurbs from acc4less, should I get the extended warranty? It only adds $40-$50 more dollars to the cost. Just glad I did NOT snag that open box buy on the Onkyo 646 or come home with the Sony 1060. Thank YOU for YOUR time!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis