Need layout opinions.

Aaron Kwekel

Aaron Kwekel

Audioholic
Hello everyone.

My wife and I are in the process of getting our house built. But I need help with speaker placement. Im having them pre-wire the spots for me so I can use my own speakers.
This is the current layout.

Great Room.
Should I move everything to the other wall? If I do. I won't be able to have my surrounds.

my current equipment.

Tv:
  • B8PUA 4K HDR Smart OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ® - 65'' Class
Receiver:
  • TSR-700 7.1-channel AV Receiver with 8K HDMI and MusicCast
Speakers:
  • 2x Definitive's BP-8060ST Bipolar SuperTower
  • 1x Definitive Technology CS-8060HD
  • 2x Definitive's SR-8080BP (Currently not hooked up)

Attachments

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Based upon the diagram I'll have to make some assumptions - such as the image is to scale - so bear that in mind as you read this...

It appears the room is 14'6" wide with roughly 1/3 of that an opening leading to the hallway with the half bath. If my calculations are correct you'll have about 10' for the LCR and 65" TV? That seems kind of tight for towers and a television of that size; you don't want to stuff a speaker directly into a corner - especially a tower - and I imagine the other one would need to be at least a foot from the hallway opening to ensure no one bangs into it. That means you would have 8 feet max to work with, not enough in my opinion.

Notes in the diagram indicate you want to mount the LCR's in-wall, how did you plan on doing that with towers? Also, your post mentions moving everything to "the other wall". I assume that's the perpendicular wall and not the parallel one? The latter shows what appears to be an opening to a covered patio but it's listed as optional so I'm not sure if that's the route you took or if the wall is solid.

Aaron Kwekel

Aaron Kwekel

Audioholic
Based upon the diagram I'll have to make some assumptions - such as the image is to scale - so bear that in mind as you read this...

It appears the room is 14'6" wide with roughly 1/3 of that an opening leading to the hallway with the half bath. If my calculations are correct you'll have about 10' for the LCR and 65" TV? That seems kind of tight for towers and a television of that size; you don't want to stuff a speaker directly into a corner - especially a tower - and I imagine the other one would need to be at least a foot from the hallway opening to ensure no one bangs into it. That means you would have 8 feet max to work with, not enough in my opinion.

Notes in the diagram indicate you want to mount the LCR's in-wall, how did you plan on doing that with towers? Also, your post mentions moving everything to "the other wall". I assume that's the perpendicular wall and not the parallel one? The latter shows what appears to be an opening to a covered patio but it's listed as optional so I'm not sure if that's the route you took or if the wall is solid.
Thank you for the feed back.

I decided to move everything to the other wall. I also decided to go with SVS prime elevation speakers for the heights. The wife didn't want celling speakers. Especially only two. Im still trying to figure out where to put my SR8080 speakers from def tech.

They're just pre-wiring for me. Then I can just pull the wires out from the outlets.

Heres the new layout.

Kwekel - Lapis - D915 - Home Connection Package.jpg

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Im still trying to figure out where to put my SR8080 speakers from def tech.
That could prove to be challenging, bipolar speakers are supposed to be wall mounted and equidistant from the listeners. If you place one on the non-kitchen side of the wall by the hallway leading to the half bath and the other on the kitchen side of the doorway leading to the patio (in the area of the sub) they might be close enough to being aligned, assuming the couch is pretty much in the middle of those two walls of course.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
bipolar speakers are supposed to be wall mounted
¿Que?
How do you wall mount Towers?
No.
You are getting confused perhaps with Bi-Pole and Di-Pole Surrounds or Effect Speakers?

For the record, my Towers have Di-Pole Mids in them. And no, you cannot wall mount them. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@Aaron Kwekel
Gotta ask, as I been looking in here...
Are you really considering Wall Mounting Towers, or is something amiss in the description you are giving?

Aaron Kwekel

Aaron Kwekel

Audioholic
Sorry for the confusion. hahah
The description above doesn't explain it right. lol

There won't be any mounts. Its suppose to say wall plates. I would NEVER try and mount a tower. haha

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry for the confusion. hahah
The description above doesn't explain it right. lol

There won't be any mounts. Its suppose to say wall plates. I would NEVER try and mount a tower. haha
Good. Unfortunately, we've had that here.

Seriously.

:rolleyes:

Aaron Kwekel

Aaron Kwekel

Audioholic
¿Que?
No.
You are getting confused perhaps with Bi-Pole and Di-Pole Surrounds or Effect Speakers?

For the record, my Towers have Di-Pole Mids in them. And no, you cannot wall mount them. :)
I updated the post. Hopefully this clears up some confusions. My bad!

Aaron Kwekel

Aaron Kwekel

Audioholic
That could prove to be challenging, bipolar speakers are supposed to be wall mounted and equidistant from the listeners. If you place one on the non-kitchen side of the wall by the hallway leading to the half bath and the other on the kitchen side of the doorway leading to the patio (in the area of the sub) they might be close enough to being aligned, assuming the couch is pretty much in the middle of those two walls of course.
I might just sell my sr8080 and maybe get another pair of SVS Prime elevations. Thoughts?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Other than my infamous dislike of DefTech... ;)

I would ask why you have them diagrammed so far apart?
What are your overall sound goals? 5.1.x? something different?

The key to a proper HT is that basic 5- or 7- channel Bed Layer. If you cannot set that up for yourself, then nothing else will work quite right. That said we all have to work with what we have and I am no different. :D But right now I see no mention of Surrounds, and putting any Height speaker with only a 3.x.x arrangement will likely disappoint.

Can you elaborate please?

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
¿Que?
No.

It's you who is confused. The Definitive Technology SR-8080BP is not a tower, it's a wall mounted surround.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's you who is confused. The Definitive Technology SR-8080BP is not a tower, it's a wall mounted surround.
Fair enough! I didn't quite catch the quote to your reply... just the statement of :
...bipolar speakers are supposed to be wall mounted...
...which taken by itself, is not true.

:)

Thank you for the correction. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I might just sell my sr8080 and maybe get another pair of SVS Prime elevations. Thoughts?
Yes, sell them and change to Monopole speakers like the Prime Elevations. At the distance you are discussing, the Bipole 8080s will be rendered largely innefective and more likely than not just serve to muddy the sound.

Aaron Kwekel

Aaron Kwekel

Audioholic
Other than my infamous dislike of DefTech... ;)

I would ask why you have them diagrammed so far apart?
What are your overall sound goals? 5.1.x? something different?

The key to a proper HT is that basic 5- or 7- channel Bed Layer. If you cannot set that up for yourself, then nothing else will work quite right. That said we all have to work with what we have and I am no different. :D But right now I see no mention of Surrounds, and putting any Height speaker with only a 3.x.x arrangement will likely disappoint.

Can you elaborate please?
Right now. My sound goals would be just a 5.1 system. The diagram is just showing where the wall plates will be. But I will make sure the speakers won't be that far apart. Unfortunately, I could find a good spot for surrounds. Plus, my wife didn't want anymore on the walls. So Im hoping my towers, center and heights will sound good.

Aaron Kwekel

Aaron Kwekel

Audioholic
Yes, sell them and change to Monopole speakers like the Prime Elevations. At the distance you are discussing, the Bipole 8080s will be rendered largely innefective and more likely than not just serve to muddy the sound.
Right now. My sound goals would be just a 5.1 system. The diagram is just showing where the wall plates will be. But I will make sure the speakers won't be that far apart. Unfortunately, I could find a good spot for surrounds. Plus, my wife didn't want anymore on the walls. So Im hoping my towers, center and heights will sound good.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis