need help with setup

M

matryx

Enthusiast
I have a Kenwood system my parents bought back in 1996. I found out it was a pretty expensive system back than and would like to keep some of the components and maybe add a sub and a new plasma TV. I using a Philips DVP-5990 DVD player with this and be watching movies most of the time on it. In the future I plan to get a PS3 for watching Blue-ray movies.

The system includes:

Kenwood Stereo Control Amplifier KC-992
This is a control amplified (or pre-amp).

Kenwood Stereo Power Amplifier KM-992
The power amplifier is 150 watts RMS, and is able to control two sets of speakers independantly.
Specs for the power amp are: 150W RMS from 20Hz to 20kHz at 0.03% THD rated at 8ohms. THD at 1/2 rated power into 8 ohms is 0.015% over the 20Hz to 20kHz range, and only 0.002% at 1kHz Frequency response is 5Hz to 200kHz, +0dB, -3dB. Signal to noise ratio is 120dB

Kenwood Quartz Synthesizer AM-FM Stereo Tuner KT-592

Kenwood Stereo Graphic Equalizer GE-4030

Nikkodo Digital Echo Processor with Digital Key Controller DEP-2000k

Kenwood 3-way Tower Speaker System JL-929
-12" Cone type Woofer
-5" Cone Type Midrange
-1" Cone Type Tweeter
-8 ohms
Max Input Power - 180 watts
Rate Input Power - 90 Watts
Sensitivity - 92 dB/W at 1m
Frequency Response - 30 Hz to 20,000 Hz
Crossover Frequency - 2000 Hz, 5000 Hz

I'm not sure if they are good speakers but it cost my dad quite a bit of money back than for this whole system and I decided to keep some of the components.

What do you guys think of the speakers and the power amp? Should I keep them or get new ones?

I'm trying to add whatever I need to have a decent system and keep cost as low as I can. With these components do I still need a receiver? I tried watching Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World, but it sound nothing like the SBS-01 system I listened to a few weeks ago. I know I'm comparing a $1500 system to a 12 years old system. I just don't have the money for that kind of system because of an incident that happened that took a chunk of change to fix.

I'm looking to add 8-10" sub to add to my audio system.
Budget: $200-300

Also would I need a receiver to enjoy some of the new audio formats or can my DVD player do that? http://reviews.cnet.com/video-players-and-recorders/philips-dvp5990-37/4507-6463_7-33004022.html?tag=mncol;rnav

I'm not sure what else I would need so if anyone can give me a suggestions I would really appreciated.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know anything about the quality of those components. I'd say this: if you like them, then that's what matters.

In terms of surround sound capability, you could use them to compliment some other components, but they can't do it alone. You have stereo (i.e. two speakers) gear. For surround sound, you'd typically want a center channel (for enhanced dialogue) and either one or two pairs of rear speakers. A sub is also a nice addition, as you have mentioned.

While the DVD player may be able to decode and output multi-channel analog audio (I haven't checked, yet), your pre-amp and amp can only handle stereo.

You could consider getting a surround sound receiver that had pre-amp outputs, or a surround sound pre-amp (my preference is the receiver). You could use the stereo amp that you have to compliment the power of the receiver by offloading the front speakers to that amp and running a center channel and surrounds from the receiver itself. You would, of course, also need to get the speakers.

Just some thoughts to get this discussion started.

M

matryx

Enthusiast
I was actually thinking of just adding a powered sub for now. Would I be able to do that with my current stereo equipment? I'm not sure how I would be able to hook it up. Any idea what kind of input I'm looking for at the back of the pre-amp?
If its not possible than what kind of receiver do you recommend that would fit my needs? I don't need Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio because I'm planning to get PS3. Maybe a receiver that does DTS-ES, DD+, THX, or DD-EX so I can enjoy movies from the The Master List of DVD, HD-DVD & Blu-ray Movies with BASS Thread @ AVS.

C

calnbs

Audioholic
Your post brings back old memories, I bought my first stereo system back in college when I took out a Perkins loan :D and went to Sears and bought myself a Pioneer complete system back in 1995-96...can't quite remember the exact year. It was an $800 system: came with rack, receiver, amp, cassette player, cd player, and 5.0 pioneer speakers. Let me tell you, I was as happy as a clown fish.

Fast foward to today.....All my electronics are out the door. My Pioneer speaker is collecting dust and the only thing I still use from that system is the "rack".

Trust me, that poineer was great at producing noise....nothing to be impress by it. Those speakers sound just as good as any white van speakers (and thats not saying much). They won't sound like any the SBS-01 or like any Home Theater like experience because they simply CAN'T.

The truth is....My personal Computer system sounds better than my Pioneer system. It consist of Onkyo 506, Dayton Subwoofer, and 5 Ingsignia Speakers from Best Buy.

Now, I don't know how good is your system compared to my Pioneer system but if it was me, I would try to sell the complete set for as much as I can. Save some money and the least I would do is this:

Get a $200 or less receiver, Polk R50 at Frys when its on sale. Dayton subwoofer at partsexpress.com and use the live.com on ebay cashback to search for bargains.

I haven't heard these speakers, but I think they might easily beat down my Pioneer speakers:

http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html

Last edited:
M

matryx

Enthusiast
I''m not sure if it matter, but my parents spent $5000 on the whole setup. It includes:

Sony 27" TV
TV/Audio rack
Kenwood Stereo Control Amplifier KC-992
Kenwood Stereo Power Amplifier KM-992
Kenwood Quartz Synthesizer AM-FM Stereo Tuner KT-592
Kenwood Stereo Graphic Equalizer GE-4030
Nikkodo Digital Echo Processor with Digital Key Controller DEP-2000k

This was all back in 1996. I was thinking of selling all the components, but I probably won't get that much for it anyways. I think it will be more useful If I kept it. I plan on keeping the speakers and the power amp since they seem to be decent equipment for their age. I know they I'm going to need a power sub though. Just not sure which one will be of good value. I'm looking to spend $200-300 it. I think I'm going to need a receiver also if I want a 5.1 system. Also not sure which receiver to get. Looking to spend $200-300 on it.

I'm from Canada so I don't have Fry's around and I would rather get it locally or from a Canadian ID. I don't want to deal with customs and duties.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Stereo system

They kenwood system will probably sound fine and work better than many cheap HTIB system. Keep in mind, however, that is a 2 channel system so you wont get surround sound.

By adding a sub, you can make it a 2.1 system. Look for a sub that has high level inputs for compatibility w/ this system. Try to save $3-400 for an entry level sub from SVS or HSU.

C

calnbs

Audioholic
Yeah, that was a lot of money. You are better off keeping them. I don't think a lower budget system will be any help to you. You can get any of last years model receiver from Onkyo, Harman Kardon, Pioneer Elite, Denon, or Yamaha and you should be fine if you want surround sound. Adding a subwoofer from HSU Research or SVSound as JCPanny suggested.

M

matryx

Enthusiast
I have a Logitech X-530 5.1 computer speakers that I'm not using and was wondering if theres a way I can connect this to my current equipment and use the Kenwood speakers for the front? How would I be able to do this without getting a receiver? Is it possible?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
A trip to ebay!

Those are good enough fronts. If you want to add surround sound.

Hit up ebay. I got a sweet 6.1 receiver for 90 dollars including shipping and I have fallen in love with it. Then you can probably get just about anything for satellites. You might see if Kenwood has a matching center for those speakers. If not. you can always grab an infinity Beta Center. I got a 250 for about 60 including shipping. Then you can get an SVS if you have enough money or go to a Dayton if you don't(maybe save the difference for the PS3). Grab some speaker wire and wire stripper(or borrow one) and have fun. Sure I would love to have an SVS, but if your room is small enough a dayton is good enough. Plus many of us have heard crappy subs most of our lives so even a good low end sounds good to us.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis