Need help with picking amps, speakers, xovers etc.

B

bdubs767

Enthusiast
Well Im a huge car audio fanatic and I have decided to move into some home audio, I was recommend to here from soundbuggy.com/forum by far the best car audio forum on the net. They siad you guys know ur home audio stuff here up and down.

so heres my situation my crappy sony surrond sound system isnt holding it up for me anymore. I dont really knowmuch abotu home audio, but it cant be much different from car audio which I know tons about. Well right now I need some recomendations for equipment.

The only thing I have for my home audio system right now is an extra left over MONSTER car audio sub that im going to use in the house cant let it go to waste. Its a PG ti elite 12d
http://www.phoenixgold.com/2004/titaniumelitespeakers.html

SO im going to need
-a mono sub amp thats puts out around 1200watts at 8 or 2 ohms.
-some mid range drivers
-tweets
-amp to drive my mids and high
-xover and possibly a EQ if you guys think its needed.

Let me know what you guys think about what I can do...

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
I'm not sure if you can use a car sub for a home theater. Does it have an LFE input? In order to get into the home theater state of mind, temporarily forget some facts about car audio. In a home theater, all you need is a receiver that decodes surround sound and speakers. Some major surround sound formats are DTS are Dolby Digital. Receivers also have built in decoders like Pro Logic. Decide if you want a 5.1 (5 speakers and a sub), 6.1 (6 speakers and a sub), or a 7.1 (7 speakers and a sub) set up. From there you can upgrade and add another sub and then some. But anyways, 1200 watts is an outrageous amount for a sub, and depending on the size of your room, all you need is 100-400 watts. You don't really need an EQ, and you don't need amps or any things like that. The receiver doubles as an amp. I am kind of a newb to HT too, so maybe some more experienced members can elaborate on the exact brands that would be suitable. Welcome to the forum. :)

B

bdubs767

Enthusiast
thanks for the input and welcome...well no matter what the ti elite is going to this thearter some how no matter what, its to sexy and greta sounding sub to sit in my closet and collect dust. And im almost positive you can put car audio subs in a house and have it sound good, tons of people have done it on the sound buggy forum, but thats the onyl car speaker recommended.

hmm i think 5.1 woudl be fine, and also I want my source unit to be my laptop, I have the headphone jack that goes into RCAs so that can tap into my reciver.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Haha, welcome to the forums dubs. I think you'll get a few great answers here. These guys really know their stuff.

And 5.1 guy, he has the raw driver that he's wanting to put in the stereo setup. So no, it dosen't have a LFE input, that's why he needs an amp. I suggested the 1000 watt Dayton amp from Parts Express, since it'll give him 500 watts at 8 ohms. That should be plenty of power for that sub.

As for the midranges, I would suggest you buy a premade set before you try and DIY. Hit eBay and search for a good stereo reciever.

B

bdubs767

Enthusiast
wow paul ur icon even better here then a the buggy...you really think the ti elite will be fine with 500 watts, I mean ever one says at leats 1000watts to that monster period

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
I really think it'll be fine, I'ma design you a box that guarentees you'll get all 2" of excursion out of that moster.

Now, don't you have some studying to do or something?

B

bdubs767

Enthusiast
Francious70 said:
I really think it'll be fine, I'ma design you a box that guarentees you'll get all 2" of excursion out of that moster.

Now, don't you have some studying to do or something?
haha acutally a 1 pg paper ive been writign for the last 4 hrs. It takes a lot to be a post whore as Im sure u know, u gotta sacrfice school to do that.

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Francious70 said:
And 5.1 guy, he has the raw driver that he's wanting to put in the stereo setup. So no, it dosen't have a LFE input, that's why he needs an amp. I suggested the 1000 watt Dayton amp from Parts Express, since it'll give him 500 watts at 8 ohms. That should be plenty of power for that sub.
Oh, ok. I'm too used to the conventional HT setup, but tats cool if he can use his car sub.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
That car sub prolly sounds great, but I would basically guarantee that the Fs is high, prolly close to 30Hz. This isn't really what you want for an HT sub driver. You should look for a unit with a Fs closer to 20Hz. As for speakers, you should know that for building speakers, you're going to need to build boxes for the mains (mids and tweets). The only way to avoid the box is to go with a di-pole design, but that requires some exacting EQ built in, so you'll need to work with someone else's design. But to get the ball rolling, let's get a few answers here:

What's your budget for everything?
How big is your room?
What % of music/movies will you listen to?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
bdubs767 said:
haha acutally a 1 pg paper ive been writign for the last 4 hrs. It takes a lot to be a post whore as Im sure u know, u gotta sacrfice school to do that.
Tell me about it :D

SheepStar

B

bdubs767

Enthusiast
the fs is 26.36 hz.....but the subs stays, hahaha. to answer your questions

1.)Emm budget what ever it takes to get it done but I want it some where at the level my car is...
MY cars system is
head unit:excelon xxv-01d
fronts: ti elites 6"
backs:xenon 6"
mono:x1200.1
multi: x200.4
subs:2 x12d4
assec: TLD66, BassCube, TiDD10.

2.)the space is goign to be two rooms.
a.)My dorm room in college with my 32" tv :D. The rooms id say 15' by 10'
b.)then over the summer going in my basemnet and that room is about 20' by 25'

3.)I planning to use this basically for music, since the sony surround sound system not great but gets the job done with movies, but with music makes me:mad:

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm...let's try this again. Try to put a dollar amount on your budget. The problem with this hobby is that it can get very, very expensive. I don't want to throw out recommendations for speakers until I know what you're willing to spend. I guess a good starting place would be to look at my system. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but my system lives in my 14x11x10 dorm room, so you can get an idea of what to look at. Since your system will eventually end up in a bigger room, you might want to look at large bookshelves or towers. But anyway, my system is in my sig. You can check out the pics here:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14141

B

bdubs767

Enthusiast
I was thinking this for speakers other then the ti elite...

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=342700.18593&pid=436
or
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4104213?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

As for a reciever Id say id spend about $150-250 on one. The reciever woudl power the the mids and tweets correct, so I woulnt ned a extra amp to power them.

And for the sub amp, I was thinking either the one francious suggested or
these two amps...

the craver pro xi1850
http://www.carverpro.com/xiampmodels.html

or this CROWN XLS602B amp
http://www.************.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=245-464&DID=7

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis