Need help with loudspeaker selection

T

TRZ06

Enthusiast
I am building a 5.1 system for 50% HT 5.1 listening and 50% music 2.1 listening

Total budget is about 16K - 17K including all speakers, eletronics, wiring, & install.

I have narrowed my choices for the two L & R towers to:

1. B&W 804S
2. Martin Logan - Vantage
3. Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus

I have listened to all three and at this point I like the sound in this order....

Sonus Faber - good mid and bass response and range
Martin Logan - also good mid and bass response
B&W 804S - awesome sound reproduction but lacking mid bass

BUT I think the B&W 804S look the nicest and would be my top chioce if they did not lack the lower bass response that the Martin Logans and the Sonus Fabers have.

I have searched for reviews on all of these also.

I would like some opinions from those who have them or have listened to them.

I am new to high end systems and would like some insight into construction , materials used and reliability of the above choices.

Also construtive comparisons is welcome, but please no brand bashing. Lets keep it real.

Thanks, a total newbie

B

B5I8

Audioholic
So what exactly do you need? Speakers, Receiver, maybe an Amp, DVD Player, TV, and all wiring and installation? Are those three brands the only ones you've listened to? For that kind of budget, you really need to do a lot more auditioning.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
TRZ06,

I can't comment upon the B&W's, but you seem to have found their sound to be inferior. If you're serious about audio, their impressive (to you) looks should take a distant second among your speaker selection priorities. The bottom line should be which of these speakers (or others) you can afford and which sound best...to you.

Take a look at this thread for my opinion of the ML's and SF's ---->
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24955&highlight=aerial+love

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
I like having fun with these even if no one ever buys them:

1 Pair AV123 Reference 3 towers-$3499
1 Reference 100 center $950
1 Pair Ref 1.8 towers rear $1495

$5945 + Shipping (family discount will apply, but dont know by how much)

$6500 tops right there (should be much lower)

Pre/pro:
Emotiva DMC-1
Amp:
Emotiva MPS-1

$2999 right now and includes free BPA-1 amp

$9500 total

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
welcom to Audioholics TRZ06 :)
that said, I would't be too consernd about bass responce of the speakers you are considering; since you want a 5.1/2.1 system, the subwoofer will take care of the bass.

T

TRZ06

Enthusiast
no. 5 said:
welcom to Audioholics TRZ06 :)
that said, I would't be too consernd about bass responce of the speakers you are considering; since you want a 5.1/2.1 system, the subwoofer will take care of the bass.
You are correct about that. However its not really the deep bass, it's the lack of strong thumping mid-range.

I know the bass that you "feel" is handled by the sub, but the bass that you "hear" is greatly lacking over the Domus Grand Pianos.

I have ruled out the Martin Logans, as the more I learn about them, the more I find that they have a small sweet spot and placing is critical.

But my dilema is I like the looks of the B&W's better, but wish they had a stronger mid range punch, and I like the sound (well maybe sound is the wrong word, they both sound awesome) but definately like the mid-range punch better on the Domus GP.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
TRZ06 said:
You are correct about that. However its not really the deep bass, it's the lack of strong thumping mid-range.

I know the bass that you "feel" is handled by the sub, but the bass that you "hear" is greatly lacking over the Domus Grand Pianos.

I have ruled out the Martin Logans, as the more I learn about them, the more I find that they have a small sweet spot and placing is critical.

But my dilema is I like the looks of the B&W's better, but wish they had a stronger mid range punch, and I like the sound (well maybe sound is the wrong word, they both sound awesome) but definately like the mid-range punch better on the Domus GP.
The best advice i could offer anybody new to high end audio is to not be in a rush to buy anything & while shopping for your gear expect to be treated like a sultan,demo everything in the store,make the salesman hook up every speaker you like & if your not totaly happy with anything you hear then move on to the next dealer,even if you plan on buying used gear dont feel bad about auditioning at dealers showrooms.

You have allready answered your question concerning the b&w's,it makes very little sense to settle for any speaker that dont have the exact sound you like,it also makes no sense to spend that much cash on any full range speaker to say thats ok the sub will handle the bass:confused:

For my tastes in speakers b&w's leave me feeling like there is something missing in the bass also,a speaker costing as much as your choices should scream(buy me now!) not leave you with a feeling that there should be more of anything.

I would agree with your choice to abandon the ML'S ,ive heard allmost the entire ML line & i think they are some of the best 2 channel speakers made but as you've found out they do have a narrow sweet spot which is not the best for HT use plus they are not real easy to clean & damage very easily where a slight impression in the face will show up from across the room like a sore thumb.

I agree that when paying as much as your thinking of for any speaker the look damm well better catch your eye & make you happy every time you just look at it. Looks play an important role in long term satisfaction,if the b&w's dont have the total sound you are looking for & the grand pianos dont have the looks that appeal to you then why are you not looking at other speaker systems instead of focusing on these two systems:confused:

Dont buy either speaker system if neither one gives you 100% satisfaction instead start looking at other speaker systems.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Matt34 said:
They aren't out yet but http://www.av123.com are coming out with a new series called the Focus Line Source. Danny Richie is behind the design and there will be two offerings, the LS6 and LS9.

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13909

Here are a couple pictures of the LS6 prototypes.

initial pricing for the LS9- $3995/pr; LS6- $2995/pr

Center and surrounds are in the works.
Hi,the ls6's are a speaker im very interested in seeing & hearing but i cant get your links to work & i tried the website several times,all i keep getting is a pictures comming soon message,can you point me to where i can see these bad boys.

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
I like the Monitor Audio Gold's as well. May not be what you need, but would give more of the mid-bass punch you are looking for.

Here is a suggestion for looks and sound. The sound will be more smooth and warm than crystaline in detail, so I don't know if that is what you are looking for.
Wharfedale's Opus 3
Take a look at the brochure & owners manual to see how they put those things together.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis