Need help with chosing a A/V Reciever

G

georgemj

Audiophyte
Hi all,
I have a wall mountable Kef speaker system (C, FR, FL, RR, RL) model HTS7001 with subwoofer -model C4. I am looking to buy an A/V Receiver for these speakers with a budget of not more than $1000. I watch a lot of movies and occassionallyhave loud music parties. Considering the speakers I have, which speaker system would you guysrecommed. I currently have a Yamaha RX-457 but craps out when we have loud music (not direct stereo).
Your help is appreciated

Below are the feature details.
Speakers
------------
Power Handling: 10-100W
Input Impednce: 8 Ohms
Frequqncey: 120-22Khz
Sensitivity: 85db
Max Output: 106db

Subwoofer
---------------
Model: C4 powered subwoofer
Frequency: 29 -140hz
Amplifier: 200 Watta built-in class-D
Maximum Output (SPL): 108db
Low Pass Filter: Variable 40Hz -140Hz, 4th-order
Power Consumption: 200VA

G

geek101

Audioholic Intern
How big is ur room and how loud you want to play?

I would recommend Marantz sr6006 :
Marantz US | SR6006

It is $200 more than what you mentioned you could get it refurbished with 2-year warranty for way less than its selling price.

G

georgemj

Audiophyte
How big is ur room and how loud you want to play?

I would recommend Marantz sr6006 :

It is $200 more than what you mentioned you could get it refurbished with 2-year warranty for way less than its selling price.
Thanks, I wouldn't mind spending a bit more for the right choice. I am not sure (I am not even remotely an audiophile) how loud but we usually like to go +5db on my Yamaha. Am not sure what that translates to wrt to how loud it is.
My room size is 25ft long by 14ft wide.

Hope this helps.

G

geek101

Audioholic Intern
Try out the sr6006 or even the sr7005, and if u need more power I would recommend amps for your speakers.

85db sensitivity puts the speakers on the more power hungry side I think. I might be wrong about this. Please confirm with more experienced folks here.

sr6006 comes with 2.2 channel preouts so you can hook them upto an amp. I would suggest:

Emotiva Audio UPA-2 Two Channel Power Amplifier. They have 30 day no questions return policy. You could try sr6006 and if u think u need more power u should go with the amp.

cheers.

Last edited:
G

georgemj

Audiophyte
Try out the sr6006 or even the sr7005, and if u need more power I would recommend amps for your speakers.

85db sensitivity puts the speakers on the more power hungry side I think. I might be wrong about this. Please confirm with more experienced folks here.

sr6006 comes with 2.2 channel preouts so you can hook them upto an amp. I would suggest:

Emotiva Audio UPA-2 Two Channel Power Amplifier[/url]. They have 30 day no questions return policy. You could try sr6006 and if u think u need more power u should go with the amp.

cheers.
Thanks. Does anybody here know if the speakers with an 85db sensitivity are more on the power hungry side.

Also, what does +5DB mean from a loudness perspective and would my speakers be able to handle it if I go any louder ? My Yamaha shows numbers in an ascending order wrt the loudness factor. So -5 would less loud than +5. Any insights would be helpful.
Thanks,

-G

G

geek101

Audioholic Intern
Thanks. Does anybody here know if the speakers with an 85db sensitivity are more on the power hungry side.

Also, what does +5DB mean from a loudness perspective and would my speakers be able to handle it if I go any louder ? My Yamaha shows numbers in an ascending order wrt the loudness factor. So -5 would less loud than +5. Any insights would be helpful.
Thanks,

-G
Stereo Amplifier Power - Amplifier and Speaker Efficency - Amplifier Power and Speaker Loudness

this might help.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You can say that but only in relative term. The problem is, while they need relatively more power to sound loud, like most small satellite speakers, they also cannot take too much power. In other word, less powerful amps will clip and kill them one way, while more powerful amps will also kill them another way. You cannot win!!

I doubt your speakers can handle that if you go much louder than +5 even if the RX-V471 won't clip. It most likely will clip at such high level though and that will seal the fate of those little satellite speakers for sure unless the 471's protective circuit is smart and quick enough to shut itself down before it destroys itself and/or the speakers it drives.

If you want your system to play louder you need not only to replace the AVR but also the speakers, at least the front L/R/C.

G

georgemj

Audiophyte
You can say that but only in relative term. The problem is, while they need relatively more power to sound loud, like most small satellite speakers, they also cannot take too much power. In other word, less powerful amps will clip and kill them one way, while more powerful amps will also kill them another way. You cannot win!!

I doubt your speakers can handle that if you go much louder than +5 even if the RX-V471 won't clip. It most likely will clip at such high level though and that will seal the fate of those little satellite speakers for sure unless the 471's protective circuit is smart and quick enough to shut itself down before it destroys itself and/or the speakers it drives.

If you want your system to play louder you need not only to replace the AVR but also the speakers, at least the front L/R/C.
Peng, so how do people go about buying equipment for their home theatre. Do they buy amps and pair them with receivers and then in turn pair both with the right speakers ? I get the feeling that I am at a lose-lose situation here if I want to play my speakers loud. I am considering replacing the speakers at this point as well now :(

A

audiocrawl

Enthusiast
I recently bought RX-A700 to replace my older Yamaha receiver. My speakers are relatively insensitive ACI Sapphire XL. I like it so far, although I must say that is has more plastic-y look than my old receiver (which was lower-end model when I bought it). I guess with all the features the savings have to come from somewhere...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Peng, so how do people go about buying equipment for their home theatre. Do they buy amps and pair them with receivers and then in turn pair both with the right speakers ? I get the feeling that I am at a lose-lose situation here if I want to play my speakers loud. I am considering replacing the speakers at this point as well now :(
Since you want to play your speakers loud so you have to buy speakers that can play loud and still sound good (e.g. some Klipsch models may work for you). It is up to you to define how loud is loud but if you typically set your AVR volume to +5 then I suggest you replace those little ones with something larger and more sensitive. Unfortunately you do seem to be in a lose-lose situation because if you push your satellite speakers harder you will shorten their life if you don't blow them right away.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I recently bought RX-A700 to replace my older Yamaha receiver. My speakers are relatively insensitive ACI Sapphire XL. I like it so far, although I must say that is has more plastic-y look than my old receiver (which was lower-end model when I bought it). I guess with all the features the savings have to come from somewhere...
The OP said he had his Yamaha volume at +5. I don't suppose you crank your A700 anywhere near that, do you?

G

georgemj

Audiophyte
Since you want to play your speakers loud so you have to buy speakers that can play loud and still sound good (e.g. some Klipsch models may work for you). It is up to you to define how loud is loud but if you typically set your AVR volume to +5 then I suggest you replace those little ones with something larger and more sensitive. Unfortunately you do seem to be in a lose-lose situation because if you push your satellite speakers harder you will shorten their life if you don't blow them right away.
Interesting. I can't win with these speakers. Do any of you esteemed members have a few recommendation for smaller speakers (bookshelf or smaller) based on my usage behaviour. Also, a few receiver and amp recommendation would be appreciated as well. I looked at the Marantz and Emotiva recommendation and liked it. I have not thought of the budget yet so please recommend whichever you guys feel are good for the speakers, receivers and amp.

Thanks in advance,

G

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting. I can't win with these speakers. Do any of you esteemed members have a few recommendation for smaller speakers (bookshelf or smaller) based on my usage behaviour. Also, a few receiver and amp recommendation would be appreciated as well. I looked at the Marantz and Emotiva recommendation and liked it. I have not thought of the budget yet so please recommend whichever you guys feel are good for the speakers, receivers and amp.

Thanks in advance,

G
If you must stick to bookshelf speakers there aren't that many choices. The following should play twice as loud as your KEF satellites:

Bookshelf Speakers: Millennia M3 v3 - Axiom Audio

RB - 81 II Bookshelf Speaker | Klipsch

These ones should play louder too but not not by as much:

Alpha B1 Bookshelf - PSB Speakers

United States - Showroom - iQ30

CB-20 Bookshelf Speaker - Specifications

More/Bigger sub should also help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis