Need help with choosing "good" speaker options

C

cjlynch311

Audiophyte
Hello all who can help,

In the spirit of full disclosure, I am a virtual moron when it comes to knowing much about speakers, receivers, components, etc....I want to upgrade my speakers and found this website and thought that maybe I could catch some good insight for the more knowledgeable people on here. I want to obviously maximize the value that I can get for my money

I am looking to spend around $800-$850 max for a pair of speakers...these will be not part of anything else, simply the best 2 speakers I can find for around that price in a 2 channel system. They will be powered with a Sansui 9090, nothing more except possibly a sub, but even that I may try to avoid.

I have looked at Paradigm Monitor 11 v5, Polk Tsi500, Canton GLE (bookshelves) and Paradigm Studio 40s V5, that I have found locally that are right in that range, I am wondering if anyone has any specific thoughts on these models in particular or if there are other options I should be considering that are affordable. I assumed floor standing would be best bet but once again what do I know

I would say this will be about a 50/50 split on music and movies with the music being more acoustic styles playing through Ipod, CD, as well as a Pioneer PL2 turntable, the room these will be in are vaulted ceilings at about 17ft and its a 20X25ish room......please help before this idiot makes one of those 10 cardinal mistakes the sticky note at the top of the forum talked about. THanks all!!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello all who can help,

In the spirit of full disclosure, I am a virtual moron when it comes to knowing much about speakers, receivers, components, etc....I want to upgrade my speakers and found this website and thought that maybe I could catch some good insight for the more knowledgeable people on here. I want to obviously maximize the value that I can get for my money

I am looking to spend around $800-$850 max for a pair of speakers...these will be not part of anything else, simply the best 2 speakers I can find for around that price in a 2 channel system. They will be powered with a Sansui 9090, nothing more except possibly a sub, but even that I may try to avoid.

I have looked at Paradigm Monitor 11 v5, Polk Tsi500, Canton GLE (bookshelves) and Paradigm Studio 40s V5, that I have found locally that are right in that range, I am wondering if anyone has any specific thoughts on these models in particular or if there are other options I should be considering that are affordable. I assumed floor standing would be best bet but once again what do I know

I would say this will be about a 50/50 split on music and movies with the music being more acoustic styles playing through Ipod, CD, as well as a Pioneer PL2 turntable, the room these will be in are vaulted ceilings at about 17ft and its a 20X25ish room......please help before this idiot makes one of those 10 cardinal mistakes the sticky note at the top of the forum talked about. THanks all!!
In order of preference,
1. Paradigm Studio 40s V5
2. Canton GLE (i would get a sub)
3. Paradigm Monitor 11 v5
4. Polks

I would also look at the Image series from PSB, particularily
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Image-Series/Image-T5-Tower

What I would do is to take a pad of paper with you, write down the make and
model of each speaker you audition and what you liked and disliked about the
speakers you were auditioning. Was the bass tight and deep or was it boomy
and loose sounding? Were the mids life like or were they hollow or just too
pronounced? Was the treble irritating and harsh or were they dark and not
revealing or were they smooth that made you want to listen for more? How was
the imaging?

Bring music with you that you are very familiar with and know quite well. To
make it easier to audition HT speaker systems, listen to the main speakers in 2
channel mode with music. Music is much harder to reproduce accurately then a
movie soundtrack so if the speakers do well with music, then they will do well
with HT. Speakers that do HT well may not do well with music. When auditioning
the center channel of the same brand and series as the main speakers, pick a
difficult source like an announcer that mumbles alot. If you can understand what
the mumbling announcer is saying, then you have a good center channel.

I would go to speciality stores first and start auditioning speakers first
instead of going to the internet first. Once your likes are determined, you can
mention them here and fellow members can make internet brand recommendations
based on your likes/dislikes. The specality stores are better setup acousticaly
then the big box stores which will make auditioning a little easier. It will
give you an idea of what you like in a speaker.

Keep track of what amp or receiver is powering the speakers you're auditioning.
Try to get a receiver/amp that closest resembles what you have or want to get.
It just reduces another variable when audtioning speakers.

One thing to keep note off. When auditioning speakers, make sure the volume
levels are matched between the diiferent speaker pairs because the louder
speaker pair will always sound better. Listen to levels that you think you
would listen to most of the time because thats how you are going to be using
them most of the time.

C

cjlynch311

Audiophyte
Thanks...I appreciate the help, so I guessing that you think that either of those "bookshelf" options will still do the trick even in that size of room?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Go to onecall.com and look at the Boston VR3 tower speakers. This
is a good deal. Also, at Onecall - look at the NHT Classic Three
bookshelf speaker. Local audition may be the best place to start.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks...I appreciate the help, so I guessing that you think that either of those "bookshelf" options will still do the trick even in that size of room?
Yes, if you off load the bass with a sub. Without a sub, these won't be able to do it.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Well, the advantage to floorstanding is that you save money on a stand and get deeper bass extension, and their larger volume generally makes them more efficient and able to acheive more loudness given the same amount of power.

The main disadvantages are that for the same price, a bookshelf will probably outperform the equivalent tower and few floorstanders can extend as deep as a dedicated subwoofer. Of course a bookshelf requires a method to place it; either a wall bracket, shelf or a speaker stand which can itself become decently costly.

Also, the advantage of a dedicated subwoofer is notjust that it can often play lower and louder, but also that an actively powered sub takes some stress away from the speakers' amp, plus bass often has a mind of its own compared to mids and highs, so the place where you're placing your sub might be vastly different from the place where you'd place your speakers in order to get the cleanest sound at your listening spot. WIth a floorstander your bass is somewhat restricted to coming from the speakers.

Either way, a good speaker will still be a good speaker. In this price range, don't get a bookshelf if not pairing it with a sub though - most bookshelves bairly extend down to 80hz, whereas a lot or music extends all the way down to even like 27hz. Actually, even a lot of floorstanders barely extend down to like 50hz or so - a sub is a good choice regardless of what you choose.

3db basically nailed it, although it wouldn't hurt to just "browse" a bit at some other options and read some reviews of...:

Usher S-520 ($400) + a sub
EMP e55ti ($800)
EMP F300 Series 5.1 Tower/Bookshelf Theater System ($800 Clearance, don't be fooled by the fact they're throwing in extra speakers, the towers alone are likely worth this much)
Axiom M60 B-Stock (~$850/pr)
AXiom M22 B-Stock (~400/pr) + a sub
Aperion Intimus 6B ($700) (+ a sub?)
Salk Song Surround (? maybe above your budget)
Ascend Sierra (~$700) (+a sub?)
SVS MBS-01 (~750) + (a sub)
SVS STS-02 (~800
SVS SCS-02 (~400) + a sub

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those fellers^
-some affordable subs to consider at ~3-500:

HSU STF-2
Dayton 120 (or two)
Epik Legend
SVS PB-10 NSD
Elemental Designs A3-250
or DIY!

C

cjlynch311

Audiophyte
Well thank you to all of you....I will take all of it into consideration as I make the decision here in next few days after a couple more listens to each set I was considering and then a listen to some of what you had offered up as well....so far the Canton GLE was the best for me from what little I know/knew about them, was just slightly deterred as there are very little reviews out there on them and not a lot of talk surrounding them which may not mean much I guess but to a virtual novice, "expert" opinions do factor in...thanks again all have a great weekend

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Do you play any instruments or know of any live performances for a band or orchestra or choir whose CD you own? If you can attend one of those unamplified (IE without speakers changing the sound) then you'll likely gain a feel for what male voices, female voices, instruments are supposed to sound like through a good speaker. At the very least, taking that CD along with you for an audition will help you weed out the bad from the good, if not the good from the slightly better.

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
I am a virtual moron when it comes to knowing much about speakers, receivers, components, etc.
You're not alone here.

there are very little reviews out there on them and not a lot of talk surrounding them which may not mean much I guess but to a virtual novice, "expert" opinions do factor in
Forget the "reviews" and listen for yourself. There is no better "expert" at determining what suits your audio needs...than you.
Take your own music. Listen yourself. Set the volume you are most comfortable with....keeping in mind that playing one speaker slightly louder than another may not be perceived as "louder", but "better". Listen to as many as you can and decide for yourself.
If you can audition the Infinity 363, I would suggest you add it to your list.

cheers,

AJ

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Magnepan MMG for $600/pr

The floor standers would be a nice option - they have a 60 day
return policy. For 60 hz on down - I would use a subwoofer.

J

just listening

Audioholic
I'd start by looking for companies that will give you 30 day in home trial. That will give you a starting point. Aperion Audio does free shipping both ways and are well-known for running an absolutely first class operation.

The Magnepan MMG's are ridiculously good for the price, but like all Magnepans they love power and require the patience of the owner to find the proper position. Once set, and together with a sub, the results are stunning.

Don't be afraid to read reviews, especially if more than one are available. Look for common themes such as build and finish quality, what type of amplification was used, music referenced. But always keep in mind that each system and room is different, therefore, reviews are at best a general introductory guide.

I

indcrimdefense

Audioholic
first question, how do you listen to music? or more appropriately, at what volume? based on your choices, a reasonable assumption is that your not trying to blow the walls off in that size room. how important is bass to you, particularly the "low" end? my dad adores both of his his systems, main room and office, and both lack a subwoofer. he has heard my system aplenty, and never goes home and calls me complaining about lack of bass. often w/ a CD he just pilfered from me. if you don't miss the low end, or don't care about it, you could skip the sub and put that $ into a better set of speakers. in my opinion, first thing to figure out is if you want a sub or not, and then go from there. if you do, great. if not, then roll that savings into a better set of speakers. simply bc the vast majority of us would have a sub, does not necessarily make it right for you.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
I have looked at ... and Paradigm Studio 40s V5,
If its Studio 40s they are not V5 as this model has been discontinued.

If you like the sound of the Studio line, listen to speakers from manufacturers with the same design philosophy. The ones mentioned here that I know fit that are Axiom, PSB, Aperion and Salk.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis