Need help with choosing a budget subwoofer - some used options included

Which one?

• Total voters
Y

yonyz

Audioholic
Hi,

I have a pair of 8" monitors that I use for entertainment. Movies, games and music.
The bass seems fine for music, but it doesn't go low enough for movies and games. I think they get as low as 40hz or so.

I understand that you cannot bypass the subwoofer once it's hooked up, so it's important that it won't suck for music.

Options:

A new BIC F12, Dayton 1200/1500, and others up to $250 (used on Amazon is fine, too).

Or any of these used that are sold locally:

Tannoy TS-10
Klipsch R-12SW
JMLAB SW700
Mission M70as
Tannoy Saturn S-SUB 15
Yamaha YST-SW300
Mordaunt Short MS907W
Velodyne VA 68X2E

The Tannoy TS-10 has gotten a very good review from What Hi-Fi, if it means anything.
It is said to be musical, if that's a thing in subwoofers.

The Klipsch R-12SW has a better amplifier, but I couldn't find any "professional" reviews.

The others on the list are significantly older and there's not much about them on the web.

I guess the main contenders are the first 3 options I listed.

I'd appreciate your input.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If I were you, I would try to stretch the budget a bit go for a pair of Dayton 1200s, and place them in locations where you get the most even bass throughout the room. A single sub isn't likely to grant you a good frequency response, no matter what kind of sub you get. Multiple sub setups can go a lot further in getting you a nice response.

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
If I were you, I would try to stretch the budget a bit go for a pair of Dayton 1200s, and place them in locations where you get the most even bass throughout the room. A single sub isn't likely to grant you a good frequency response, no matter what kind of sub you get. Multiple sub setups can go a lot further in getting you a nice response.
Thanks but I'm not interested in having 2 subs. No room for that.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

It’s hard to get a handle on your budget. You floated a figure of $250, but some of the subs in your list cost over $600.

That said, for the most satisfying movie experience you want at least a 12” sub that will get down to at least 25 Hz. There’s little good reason to get a sub that won’t get below 40 Hz if your main speakers will do that good.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
It’s hard to get a handle on your budget. You floated a figure of $250, but some of the subs in your list cost over $600.

That said, for the most satisfying movie experience you want at least a 12” sub that will get down to at least 25 Hz. There’s little good reason to get a sub that won’t get below 40 Hz if your main speakers will do that good.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Over $600? Which ones?

Note that most of the subs on that list are used. My budget is actually about $500, but I have to include shipping and taxes (I live in Israel) which would double the price of most subs.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
SVS PB-1000(499 US) or Dayton 1500(can you return it if you don't like it?)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Israel, huh? Wonder whether BK Electronics ships there? If not, if the Dayton SUB-1500 is probably the best of your list.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I would have most experience to talk on the matter since very recently (a few months ago) I went thru same exercise with my friend from there. He was lucky to find some who wanted to sell his Sunfire HRS-12 sub - this one:http://www.hometheater.co.il/vt238263.html
Final price was 2750 nis with pickup from Akko

It know it's out of your $500 range, but Israel is no US. Most subs are around double their USA prices :(

In general in Israel market is very limited and finding good cheap sub is very challenging - practically on oxymoron.
Custom Importing is also expensive due to high import tax and dues.
Also Try to find this sub: JBL ES250PBK

Bottom line : You need to really patient. Out of your list probably Focal/JMLAB SW700 would be my pick. http://avforum.no/forum/tester-audio/48883-minitest-focal-jmlab-chorus-sw700.html

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
SVS PB-1000(499 US) or Dayton 1500(can you return it if you don't like it?)
The SB-1000 is $850 with shipping and taxes. Apparently the Dayton only accepts 120V, so I can't use it. A transformer for such a device would be expensive because it has high watt peaks.

What about the old models I listed?

By the way, models that are sold in Europe should work with the electricity in my country. So Amazon.de is a possible source, or any European website really.

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
Israel, huh? Wonder whether BK Electronics ships there? If not, if the Dayton SUB-1500 is probably the best of your list.
BK Electronics may not ship here but I can use a courier. It's usually cheaper than most websites' own shipping methods.

BoredSysAdmin, I have been following the hometheater.co.il used subforum for a while. Many of the models I've listed are from there.

Subs are actually 3-4 times their US price over here. For example, a new Klipsch R-12SW is $1152, while it's just $375 on Amazon.com, and often on sale for $200 - or so I've heard. I do not plan to buy locally from a retailer, but only used. Or import a sub on my own, as I often do with anything but clothes.

The SW700 only goes to 36hz, so far from ideal for movies.

Last edited:
Y

yonyz

Audioholic
I think I would have most experience to talk on the matter since very recently (a few months ago) I went thru same exercise with my friend from there. He was lucky to find some who wanted to sell his Sunfire HRS-12 sub - this one:http://www.hometheater.co.il/vt238263.html
Final price was 2750 nis with pickup from Akko

It know it's out of your $500 range, but Israel is no US. Most subs are around double their USA prices :(

In general in Israel market is very limited and finding good cheap sub is very challenging - practically on oxymoron.
Custom Importing is also expensive due to high import tax and dues.
Also Try to find this sub: JBL ES250PBK

Bottom line : You need to really patient. Out of your list probably Focal/JMLAB SW700 would be my pick. http://avforum.no/forum/tester-audio/48883-minitest-focal-jmlab-chorus-sw700.html
I found this on Amazon.de:
JBL ES250PW. It looks like the same sub but with wireless support. $530 total price, shipping and tax included. Is it better than a BIC PL-200, for example?

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
OK. I contacted a guy who sells a used Klipsch R-12SW. He won't lower the price at all. It's $490. He says there's still warranty for another 2.5 years and he paid twice that for the sub.

Another option: new from Amazon.de - Yamaha NS-SW300. Claims to go down to 20hz.

The Monoprice 9723, recommended in the above linked article, is only 120V. So I can't use it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd rank the BIC above the JBL. I've owned both an entry level JBL sub and an ES series bookshelf pair, but would not recommend either.

http://www.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-subwoofer/ might give you some other options to consider.
Measurements seems to disagree with you:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1391243-bic-v1220-bic-f12-omnimic-frequency-response-graphs.html
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/jbl-es-series-home-theater-speaker-system-page-3#8geM1ypsz5MwH1k1.97

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
Klipsch R12SW is well liked. Have you checked ebay as well?
Checked for an R-12SW, it's $470 before taxes so better to buy locally.
Any idea how the R-12SW compares with others in its price range?
It seems to only go down to $29hz, but the BIC PL-200 claims 25hz but I've seen a video that says it's still loud even at 10hz (but is not flat).

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
I've checked the thread, it makes making a choice much harder. :p
I'm just afraid of shelling out $500 on a sub, without having the option to return it, just to find out it doesn't do what I expected it to.

Maybe I'll go and have a listen to the Klipsch. Any chance it actually goes lower than the listed frequency response?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Why don't you buy it and take it home I doubt going to hear it in a store will let you know. Hopefully there is a return policy If you don't like it. In the thread I sent you they seemed to like that 12SW. It goes on sale once in a while.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis