Need help with Amplifier or Receiver for monitor audio silver 1

N

naga

Enthusiast
Hi All,

First post here, please pardon my mistakes if any.
I just bought my first decent speakers, pair of new Monitor Audio Silver 1 for a low price on ebay. I plan to use these in a 13x 18 living room with Samsung UN55JS8500. speakers will be 2 ft away from wall on stands/TV Stand. Seating will be 9 ft away from speakers and 2 feet from the back wall.My usage is 80% movies 20% music (mp3/flac). I need your help with a few things.

1. Is there a way i can verify authenticity of speakers once i receive them ?
2. should i go for an integrated amp or receiver. Are there any amp/ receiver that you have used or suggest to be used with these speakers. speakers will be used as stereo only. I had no issues buying used audio equipment before and am ok to go that route. I am looking for something around 350$. Not sure if i can get a decent amp/receiever at this price.
3. do i need absolutely need a subwoofer ? i like clear bass but not too much.

Thank you very much for your time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
1. Exchange photos/serial numbers with the factory? Post same up here for comments?

2. Nominal 8 ohm, recommended amp power 40-100W so should work with a wide variety of amps or receivers. I'd look at accessories4less.com with that budget, not sure what your other options would be used or new...$350 is doable more for the avr IMO.

3. I'd want a sub, not everyone does; the speaker has decent lower frequency spec 45Hz, assuming that's the -3dB point but wasn't specified on the mfr's site) but nothing too exciting. If you don't want LFE special effects in movies, deep bass in music then you might do fine without; you can always try first and see if the speakers in your room satisfy you or not without a sub. Depends on your taste.

If you do want a sub an avr is a better choice generally for including bass management and often more digital/internet capabilities and often are simply better priced; 2ch gear like an integrated amp often costs more with no advantage simply due economies of scale (and many 2ch integrated amps, especially lower priced ones, will lack bass management even if they have a sub pre-out). You can add a sub without bass management but not the way I'd go; an argument for here.

Might try reading this article http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/bass-management-basics-2013-settings-made-simple and this one http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/bass-management-the-right-stuff

Last edited:
N

naga

Enthusiast
Thank you for the advise and tips lovinthehd. I will definitely post serial here and check with manufacturer once i have the speakers. I have b & w asw 610 from my current setup. i am not sure if that sub goes with these speakers but will try with and with out sub to see if need sub.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you for the advise and tips lovinthehd. I will definitely post serial here and check with manufacturer once i have the speakers. I have b & w asw 610 from my current setup. i am not sure if that sub goes with these speakers but will try with and with out sub to see if need sub.
Any decent sub should go with any set of speakers.

N

naga

Enthusiast
Any decent sub should go with any set of speakers.
Is there any content you would recommend to test for need of a sub specifically.
i have bluray's for fast and furious complete series and transformers. are these movies good for checking sub

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
The Transformers BluRays have some good sequences that will test any Sub, but if you don't have a Sub you won't know what you are missing. :rolleyes:

You stated you are 80% movies. In that case I recommend you buy an AVR (I'd go for the Denon AVR-S910W, I have it's predecessor, the AVR-S900W and it's a good unit with amazing flexibility. The AVR-S920W is only $30 more at the moment, and still fits in your budget, so you may want to consider it. )

An AVR will allow you to add not only a Sub, but a center channel speaker, and then surrounds as your pocketbook, and enthusiasm, allow.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The action movies generally do use a fair bit of LFE that a sub would be much more capable of than your speakers. A good sub should be capable of at least 20hz, some even chase lower frequencies but 20hz capability will capture the majority of what's in most LFE soundtracks. Your room size, using 8 ft ceilings, is about 1900 cft (more if the room is open to others....subs "see" the volume of the whole room whereas your speakers are more about the distance from the speaker to your seat). Try this article about room size and subs http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size

N

naga

Enthusiast
I know its a little too late to ask this but what would be right price to pay for silver 1's ?
The Transformers BluRays have some good sequences that will test any Sub, but if you don't have a Sub you won't know what you are missing. :rolleyes:

You stated you are 80% movies. In that case I recommend you buy an AVR (I'd go for the Denon AVR-S910W, I have it's predecessor, the AVR-S900W and it's a good unit with amazing flexibility. The AVR-S920W is only $30 more at the moment, and still fits in your budget, so you may want to consider it. )

An AVR will allow you to add not only a Sub, but a center channel speaker, and then surrounds as your pocketbook, and enthusiasm, allow.
Thank you for the input. I will definitely watch transformers movie on speakers with sub then to figure out best i can get. A4L has it for 350 so it is well with in budget.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs920w/denon-avr-s920w-7.2-ch-x-90-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html?gclid=CKHYrqOLttQCFZOEswodaWULuQ

I was only considering amp for this case as i have another 3.1 setup with b& w 685, htm62, asw610 sub. I plan to expand that setup to a 5.1 at later time. Also i got a silver 1's for $306 and am not sure if i can get silver center for a low price.

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I know its a little too late to ask this but what would be right price to pay for silver 1's ?

Thank you for the input. I will definitely watch transformers movie on speakers with sub then to figure out best i can get. A4L has it for 350 so it is well with in budget.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs920w/denon-avr-s920w-7.2-ch-x-90-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html?gclid=CKHYrqOLttQCFZOEswodaWULuQ

I was only considering amp for this case as i have another 3.1 setup with b& w 685, htm62, asw610 sub. I plan to expand that setup to a 5.1 at later time. Also i got a silver 1's for $306 and am not sure if i can get silver center for a low price.
Somehow $306 sounds like a steal to me;). This may sound a bit weird, but in almost all cases using the same speaker for your center channel as your front Left & Right will result in better sound and at less cost. Sometimes it's tough to get a single speaker, but some folks who go to a 6.1 set up (a single center back channel instead of a 7.1 with two) will use all 6 of the same. Often times OEMs will sell individual speakers so you can stay with a 5.1 setup.

N

naga

Enthusiast
Somehow $306 sounds like a steal to me;). This may sound a bit weird, but in almost all cases using the same speaker for your center channel as your front Left & Right will result in better sound and at less cost. Sometimes it's tough to get a single speaker, but some folks who go to a 6.1 set up (a single center back channel instead of a 7.1 with two) will use all 6 of the same. Often times OEMs will sell individual speakers so you can stay with a 5.1 setup.
I got them in ebay auction from wholesale seller listed as new other. Due to price my first question was to find a way to check if speakers are actually legit.

Thank you very much for suggestion to add same speaker as centre. I never even knew or considered this option before. This might be more economical for me as any one with one speaker would propably offer it for less than half the price of pair.

N

naga

Enthusiast
I finally received speakers and listened to them on weekend. For short time i tried they actually sounded pretty good.S/N number on speakers is 700867. If any one has experience with previous monitor audio products please let me know if serial number is inline.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis