Need help with adding and amp

B

bacher2741

Audiophyte
I bought a Adcom GFA-555 amp to power the new pair of B&W CM8's. My Onkyo TX-NR808 manual says that I can use the receiver as a preamp. It says that I need to go into the menu of the receiver and select none to the speakers I want to use the amp for. I went into the menu and tried this with the front speakers and there is not an option of none for the fronts. So my question is 1. Do I just disconnect the speaker wires from the receiver and connect therm to the amp speaker outputs and connect a pr of rca's to the L & R preout on the receiver to the L & R rca ins on the amp? 2. Will the reciever remote volume adjust the volume to the amp also? I just bought the amp and don't have it yet but I want to have a better understanding of how to connect it when it comes. Thanks for any help you can offer.

bacher2741

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It says that I need to go into the menu of the receiver and select none to the speakers I want to use the amp for.
That does not sound right. I am quite sure you misunderstood what they manual says.

I went into the menu and tried this with the front speakers and there is not an option of none for the fronts.
That is normal because they assume you will always have the front L/R speakers. For the surround and subwoofer channel, you may select none if you don't have those speakers.

So my question is 1. Do I just disconnect the speaker wires from the receiver and connect therm to the amp speaker outputs and connect a pr of rca's to the L & R preout on the receiver to the L & R rca ins on the amp? 2. Will the reciever remote volume adjust the volume to the amp also?
That is correct. Yes, the remote volume control will work for the front channels connected to the Adcom.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
PENG is right, I'm not sure where in the manual you saw that you needed to select none. Right in the table of contents it says "connecting a power amplifier............16"

Then on page 16 is shows you how to connect an external amp, diagram and all.

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/tx-nr808_manual_e.pdf

The manuals can look a little overwhelming at first, make you sure you double check the table of contents to make sure you're looking in the right spot. If all else fails come back and ask :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis