Need help with a few Questions

M

marvontherim

Enthusiast
I have a Sony Amplifier 5.1 about 8 to 10 years old. Just mover into a new house and I'm setting up a new surround system. I'm looking a all new speakers. My question is " Should I consider another amplifier and if so which one?"
My second question is: I have a mits big screen 73 inch and I want to use it as a monitor for a PC. The tv has a HDMI output and I was told that the HMDI to DVI is the best connection. I purchased the cable and a nvidia card but it dosn't work. Can anyone help?
Thanks

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I can't comment on the amplifier but as for the pc to tv question I may have some helpful input. More than likely the tv can't handle the signial directly from the nvidia's dvi output to the tv's hdmi input. check your tv manual and it will probably tell you that the input isn't compatible with a pc, mine does. Depending on which nvidia card you purchased it may include hdtv output via component cables, if not, return the card and get one that does. From what I've worked with it is the easiest way to get a decent quality picture from a PC to a projection tv.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Go ahead & get speakers, then see how you like the combo. I'm pretty sure it won't be hard to upgrade from a "8-10yo Sony 5.1 amp (receiver?)". Which one? That's the fun part...............Denon....Yamaha....Marantz....Pioneer.......there's a lot to choose from. Peruse this site for a bit & you'll get some good ideas.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
marvontherim said:
I have a Sony Amplifier 5.1 about 8 to 10 years old. Just mover into a new house and I'm setting up a new surround system. I'm looking a all new speakers. My question is " Should I consider another amplifier and if so which one?"
My second question is: I have a mits big screen 73 inch and I want to use it as a monitor for a PC. The tv has a HDMI output and I was told that the HMDI to DVI is the best connection. I purchased the cable and a nvidia card but it dosn't work. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Whats your budget? Personally I would pick my speakers first and then choose the receiver and/or amps to drive them based on speaker choice, room size, budget, intended use and so on. Also are you going to use a sub?

M

marvontherim

Enthusiast
Hi Spiffyfast,
I checked the manual the fist thing and it shows how to connect a pc to the tv. My problem is that it dosn't work. I was told by the mistu guys that they can't quarantee it. What card do you use? I was connected vis s-video and that quality sucked. Come tothink of it I can;t connect to s-video no either. It should be just a plug and plan. Are there any settings that need to be adjusted? Am I missing something?

M

marvontherim

Enthusiast
Hi Zipper and Nick250,
I have a good size sub woffer and a center speaker. I plan to put two 8" NGX three way flush mounts in the front and two flush mounts in the rear ceiling mounted. How does that sound. Sa far as a budget is concerned it'f flexable for the rigth stuff.
What are you thoughtd?

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
marvontherim said:
Hi Spiffyfast,
I checked the manual the fist thing and it shows how to connect a pc to the tv. My problem is that it dosn't work. I was told by the mistu guys that they can't quarantee it. What card do you use? I was connected vis s-video and that quality sucked. Come tothink of it I can;t connect to s-video no either. It should be just a plug and plan. Are there any settings that need to be adjusted? Am I missing something?
you may have to go into the settings on the vid card and tell it to output that signal to the tv...do you have your tv and a seperate monitor connected to the pc? if so, the card may only currently be sending the signal to the primary monitor

M

marvontherim

Enthusiast
Wellllllllllllllll Spiffyfast

Yoooooooooooooooour a genius. It was as simple as disconnecting the secondary monitor. The card only displayed on the primary on. Next quest is to find a upgraded card that gives great video.
Any suggestions?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis