Need Help with 2.1/2.0 Speaker Solution

A

aari5

Audiophyte
I currently have a TV (digital and analog audio output), Fios cable box, and a 3rd gen Apple TV. They used to be connected to an old Sony DAV-X1 (HTIB), which did a fairly good job, but which I can no longer use. Given that the TV speakers are awful, I am trying to find a good speaker alternative. I'm on a very tight budget (under $250) and have limited physical space (so probably no AV receiver), but would like as good quality sound as possible because I listen to a lot of music from the ATV. I also need some way to control the volume by remote, because I don't want to have to get up each time I have to change the volume and the only way I can use external speakers with this TV is by turning the TV's volume all the way down. Lastly, I'd like to avoid a sound bar if possible as I have limited space and sound quality for music is typically not too good.

Any suggestions for a reasonably-priced 2.1 (or even 2.0) solution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Audioholic
You are going to have to budge on one of your requirements to find a solution. If you drop the remote, you can pick up a pair of bookshelves and a compact amp. If you need the remote, you are looking at a receiver. I personally would see if there is a way you can fit one in, as this lets you upgrade down the road, and makes for much easier integration of other components and speakers.

Something like this: DENON AVR-1312 5.1 Channel A/V Home Theater Receiver | Accessories4less

And maybe the Pioneer BS22 Bookshelf speakers to get you started.

A

aari5

Audiophyte
You are going to have to budge on one of your requirements to find a solution. If you drop the remote, you can pick up a pair of bookshelves and a compact amp. If you need the remote, you are looking at a receiver. I personally would see if there is a way you can fit one in, as this lets you upgrade down the road, and makes for much easier integration of other components and speakers.

Something like this: DENON AVR-1312 5.1 Channel A/V Home Theater Receiver | Accessories4less

And maybe the Pioneer BS22 Bookshelf speakers to get you started.
Thanks for the advice. A receiver is really going to prove difficult given the space limitations. One thought I recently had is to connect speakers through the headphone jack on the TV. I could use something like the Audioengine a2. That way I can control the volume from the cable box and Apple TV through the television. How significant is the downgrade in sound quality by doing that? Is there anything I could do to improve it, such as using an amp in between the TV and speakers?

Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Audioholic
Does your TV have an option to switch from the TV speakers to the optical out? If so, you could grab a digital to analog converter like the Behringer UCA202, and then connect a pair of active speakers. This should let you adjust the volume via the TV remote, and you won't have any space issues with an amp/receiver (the UCA 202 is the size of a deck of cards).

This is a good set of active speakers: Amazon.com: M-Audio BX5 D2 5" Active 2-Way Studio Monitor Speakers: Musical Instruments The A2 are small and will struggle in a living room.

TV > UCA202 (via Optical) > M-Audio BX5 D2 (via RCA to TRS)

A

aari5

Audiophyte
That is exactly what I was hoping for when I saw the optical and analog audio outputs on the TV (Samsung LN-3251D), but I don't think it allows for you to switch the TV speakers to the optical out. In fact, if you want to use a receiver (or any type of external speakers) by way of the audio outputs, you must turn the volume down on the TV itself. Otherwise, sound comes from the TV speakers as well as the external speakers and, more importantly, the TV volume controls only the TV's internal speakers.

As I mentioned previously, I have an old Sony DAV-X1 (HTIB), which is currently connected to the optical out and it works properly. The cable box and Apple TV are connected to the TV by HDMI and then I run a TOSLINK cable from the TV's optical out to the DAV-X1. I can then control the volume through the DAV-X1, but I have to completely turn down the volume on the TV itself.

Unless I'm missing something and there is a way to turn off the internal TV speakers, but still use the TV volume control to adjust volume, I'm not sure what option I have given that I have no room for a receiver. That's why I am considering using the headphone jack on the TV. That is the only way I can think of to control the volume through the TV, but still use external speakers. I just don't know what the sound quality will be like and if it would be improved at all by using an amp.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
One thought I recently had is to connect speakers through the headphone jack on the TV.
Something like the Swan M50W might be able to connect via the headphone jack. I own the smaller M20W and had it hooked up that way one time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis