Need help understanding subwoofer...stuff

RockindaBass!

RockindaBass!

Audiophyte
Hey all,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I recently purchased a DENON AVR-S900W, (7.2 channel); the new brain for my entertainment system I am...trying...to put together.

Long story short, I have a 5.1 speaker system from a prior Panasonic home theater, and will be using those speakers to connect to the Denon receiver. My problem, is that the subwoofer has a built-in speaker cable (and nothing else), but the receiver's subwoofer inputs are for a component cable. I couldn't find out what to do here, so I am hoping you fine people could point me in the right direction. The receiver doesn't have a speaker cable input for the subwoofer, only component.

Is there an adapter I can buy? Can I plug the subwoofer into one of the other speaker cable inputs, or do I need to buy a new sub?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
A lot of HTIB systems are designed to operate only with what they come with and use proprietary cables and/or power the subwoofer from an amp built into the receiver. Without knowing more about that panny system, it sounds like it was powered from the head unit of the system. The best advice I can offer is to get a standalone powered subwoofer.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

What Mark said. However, if the HTIB has an analog input, you can connect it to the Denon’s subwoofer output, and the HTIB can power its sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

RockindaBass!

RockindaBass!

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input guys. I need a new powered sub. As you said Mark, the sub I have was designed to work with the Panasonic home theater, which by deduction, had the power in the receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis