Need help setting up speakers in living room!!

S

slickguy

Enthusiast
Hi,

I am a beginner about speaker systems. I am trying to setup a 5.1 surround in my living room and need some advice. I did some research and narrowed down on 2 in ceiling speakers. If there are better ones, please suggest. My budget is around 200 per pair.

I will be watching movies and listening to music as well.

Polk Audion RC80i (front) and TC80i (rear)

or

Yamaha In Ceiling speakers (not sure about the model numbers yet).

or

Klipsch

Can someone please suggest which ones would be better...polk or yamaha or klipsch

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Ceiling speakers are good for casual listening, not HT.

I strongly recommend against in-ceiling speakers for HT, particularly for the fronts. You might be able to use in-walls for the fronts and get a workable sound-stage, but ceiling speakers will not provide the imaging you expect for HT. You might be able to "get away" with in-ceiling surrounds, but even they will be significantly less satisfying than standard speakers.

S

slickguy

Enthusiast
Thanks for the information. If in ceiling was the only option I had, which ones do you suggest - polk or yamaha or klipsch?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
If in-ceiling was the only option, I would just use the TV speakers. Honestly. I've heard in-ceiling speakers in the front and it was terrible. The sound just came from a different place than the video and it was weird and uncomfortable. Not even remotely satisfying.

If you can't put in-wall or traditional speakers, then maybe a soundbar or something.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
In-ceiling speakers for the LCRs...NO, NO, NO. As mentioned, better using the tv speakers or a soundbar.

S

slickguy

Enthusiast
The prewired outlets I have in my home are on the ceiling. So, even in-wall is probably not an option for me :(. So, based on your suggestions, I will not go for in ceiling. Can you guys suggest me other options. I saw that audioholics suggested "Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 Package " as a good home theater system. The only awkward about these is that they project down from the ceiling (instead of hiding in the ceiling ;)). Can you guys suggest any other alternatives? My budget is around 1000 for the entire system. My living room is around 16ft X 18 ft. I will be listening to music too.

Note: This will be for my living and not media room.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
around 1000 for the entire system. My living room is around 16ft X 18 ft. I will be listening to music too.
Are you talking about $1000 for speakers and sub - Do you also
need a receiver?

300exoh

Audioholic Intern
The prewired outlets I have in my home are on the ceiling. So, even in-wall is probably not an option for me :(. So, based on your suggestions, I will not go for in ceiling. Can you guys suggest me other options. I saw that audioholics suggested "Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 Package " as a good home theater system. The only awkward about these is that they project down from the ceiling (instead of hiding in the ceiling ;)). Can you guys suggest any other alternatives? My budget is around 1000 for the entire system. My living room is around 16ft X 18 ft. I will be listening to music too.

Note: This will be for my living and not media room.
Just a suggestion... but it probably wouldn't cost much to have the in-ceiling wires fished into the front wall by an electrician or handyman so that you could use in-wall speakers which will give you a much better/more natural soundstage. It would take up part of your budget but even with cheap in-walls the sound would be much more pleasing vs. having them in the ceiling.

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
2 points:

1) just because it's pre-wired for ceiling doesn't mean you have to use those wires for the L/C/R. One option is to use bookshelf or floorstanders and just run wires to them like you normally would, and use in-ceilings for the surrounds.

2) I have heard in-ceiling L/C/R in a HT and thought it was terrible. However, I have seen a system that had in-ceilings that were flush with the ceiling when not in use, but when in use, they would tilt out of the ceiling angled towards the viewer. I don't know what brand they were, but I would only consider something like this if I had to do in-ceilings for the fronts.

S

slickguy

Enthusiast
Thanks for all your responses. I will do more research and decide on what works best. I am surprised how all of you are saying in ceilings are not good and all the homes are pre-wired for in ceilings :(

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Just read this thread, NOOOO dont do in-ceiling fronts!!! I work for builders who pre-wire these homes. Its a cheap sales gimmick!! Wives dont want speakers in the room & guys want a HT. So the builder pre-wires the home or puts some in-ceiling speakers in at a PREMIUM!! For "surround back" channels in a 7.1 system their actually not bad is space is an issue.

But to have voices coming from above while the video is up front is just plain horrible & distracting even if the quality of the speaker is good. I have seen over & over people that had the builder install the speakers but after a while dont use it because of the annoyance.

I know you can always spend more to get more but if you could save another $250 you should order yourself an HSU Research package. The Enthusiest2 is $1249 & you would get an amazingly detailed, powerful & clean system. The heart of the system is the VTF2-MK4 subwoofer & youd get 4 of their bookshelves & 1 center channel. I have personally listened to this setup multiple times & still cant believe how great it sounds, specially at the price. Just excellent!!

Another great option is the highly recommended Infinity Primus speaker system but paired with a sub from either HSU, Rythmik or Outlaw.

Id prefer the complete HSU package myself but there are multiple good options.

Give us more details on the room please.

Size?
Shape?
Open to other areas?
Listening habits?

S

slickguy

Enthusiast
Give us more details on the room please.

Size?
Shape?
Open to other areas?
Listening habits?
Thanks for the feedback. Here are the details:

Room Size: 17 L X 18 W X 10 H

Open to other areas: The length extends into another area by around 8 ft (like a breakfast nook, so sound to that corner does not matter)

Listening Habits: Music/Movies - Have a toddler, so not too fancy about very loud sound!! The toddler is another reason, I don't want them standing, she will knock them off playing :)

S

slickguy

Enthusiast
Given the room dimensions and the other considerations, do you guys think I may be okay with in ceilings?

Quoting deedub:

"2) I have heard in-ceiling L/C/R in a HT and thought it was terrible. However, I have seen a system that had in-ceilings that were flush with the ceiling when not in use, but when in use, they would tilt out of the ceiling angled towards the viewer. I don't know what brand they were, but I would only consider something like this if I had to do in-ceilings for the fronts."

So, if the speakers hanging down is not an issue, can you guys suggest good speakers that I can install. I was looking at Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1. What do you guys think?

B

bmninada

Audioholic
Someone in this thread recommended Onkyo, I would think twice since it's got almost non-existence and horrible customer support and hardly ever honor warranty in a straight-forward manner.

B

bmninada

Audioholic
Someone in this thread recommended Onkyo, I would think twice since it's got almost non-existence and horrible customer support and hardly ever honor warranty in a straight-forward manner.

S

slickguy

Enthusiast
2 points:

2) I have heard in-ceiling L/C/R in a HT and thought it was terrible. However, I have seen a system that had in-ceilings that were flush with the ceiling when not in use, but when in use, they would tilt out of the ceiling angled towards the viewer. I don't know what brand they were, but I would only consider something like this if I had to do in-ceilings for the fronts.
Hi,

I read that polk audio TC80i tweeters can be adjusted to aim it to the listening position. If that can be done, is this a good choice for the fronts.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, after I have read all of them, I got myself educated on several things and am starting to learn so many things. I am really in the swing to get this done. Any help would be appreciated.

I also mentioned about a toddler in the house, so a floor standing speaker may not be an option.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis