Need help setting speaker level

A

ArxFatalis

Enthusiast
Hi, I have a Marantz receiver but still don´t understand what "setting speaker level " means. Is it supposed to make the speakers louder ? (center, left, right , surround) According to the manual , the speakers should ALL be at the same level. The receiver came with 0 level for all speakers , so my questions is:

Is there a rule for speaker level? Is the center channel supposed to be at +1 +2 +3 +4 or at 0 or -1 -2 - 3 ?

What about the other channels? Are they supposed to be similar or different ?

Are the speakers really supposed to be at 0 ?

Thanks for your time.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
You adjust each channel's trims so that each speaker is outputting roughly the same sound pressure level (SPL). You can use the internal test tones of the receiver and an SPL meter from Radio Shack. Nobody can tell you what numbers to set them to as it all depends on your speakers and room (and don't listen to the erroneous advice that each channel must be set at zero or greater).

If you use the search function and search for 'calibration' or 'reference level' you will get all the information you need.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
ArxFatalis said:
Hi, I have a Marantz receiver but still don´t understand what "setting speaker level " means. Is it supposed to make the speakers louder ? (center, left, right , surround) According to the manual , the speakers should ALL be at the same level. The receiver came with 0 level for all speakers , so my questions is:

Is there a rule for speaker level? Is the center channel supposed to be at +1 +2 +3 +4 or at 0 or -1 -2 - 3 ?

What about the other channels? Are they supposed to be similar or different ?

Are the speakers really supposed to be at 0 ?

Thanks for your time.

Just to further elaborate on what MDS passed on. You need to get into the setup function and menu of the receiver; read the manual how.
Once you set up each speaker as to small or large, sub yes or no, speaker distances from the primary listening position, (hopefully it will set the delays automatically) you would engage the internal test tone as MDS indicated.
You will need an SPL meter
Usually starting with left front, you are looking for a reading on the spl meter of 75 dB, adjust each channel trim(test tones will go to each channel in sequence) to get this value.
Some receivers' internal test tones are not precisely balance so a test disc may also be of use to double check the results as the signal goes through the whole chain from player to speaker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis