Need Help Sending 5.1 Audio from Sound Card to A/V Receiver

H

hewhoisbill

Enthusiast
Hi Sgt. Pepper,

The card you listed can't send bitstream audio to your receiver; if you look at the connections it has no way of sending a digital audio signal out.

My recommendations for sending audio to your receiver would be:

Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 Cinema (connected via optical)

The sound card can encode information on the fly to DTS Digital Surround or Dolby Digital Live so you can still get 5.1 sound (normally optical only has the bandwidth to transfer 2 channels via bitstream). Any other sound card which has the capacity to encode to Dolby Digital Live or DTS Digital Surround would work, but I have found the X-Plosion to be an economical choice.

These sound cards do not have the ability to send bitstream audio, but still provide high quality 5.1 audio.

ATI Radeon 2600 series or up (Video Card)

The ATI Radeon family of video cards typically have HDMI connections; this will allow you to send bitstream audio and/or video to your receiver. There are several affordable variations that have HDMI out; just be sure that the one you are purchasing has the capability.

I may be available to provide more guidance if you could tell me which receiver you are using (or what connections it has ie. optical, hdmi, etc), and which motherboard you have to determine if it has PCI Express, onboard audio, etc.

Cheers,

Bill

sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
I had a feeling that would be the case. I should have looked into it more before purchasing. Luckily it was only $25.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis