Need Help - Problem with Vintage Yamaha amplifier AV34 - Tripping

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
I have a old Yamaha amplifier that was working fine till last night and this morning when I turned it on the trip switch of my room on the main switchboard tripped off. I did not undersand what really happend so I switched on the trip, came back to my room and turned on the amplifier. Again within seconds the trip switch again tripped off. Can anybody please help......

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Sounds like an issue in the power supply/transformer part of the amp. If your lucky, you can probably open it up and look to see if a diode or capacitor went bad. Sometimes a diode will be cracked open when it goes bad. Other than that, call around and see if there is an electronics repair guy that may be able to repair it. It may need a new power supply. BTW, what model is it, it may just be time for a new amp or AVR.

never mind model, i see it.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
Sounds like an issue in the power supply/transformer part of the amp. If your lucky, you can probably open it up and look to see if a diode or capacitor went bad. Sometimes a diode will be cracked open when it goes bad. Other than that, call around and see if there is an electronics repair guy that may be able to repair it. It may need a new power supply. BTW, what model is it, it may just be time for a new amp or AVR.

never mind model, i see it.
Thanks. Let me open and check. But this was working just fine till 12 hours back and how can this happen suddenly ? I did not even move it.

Actually I already have a new amp (Emotiva for music and Pioneer elite THX for Movies) and wanted to sell this on Ebay next week. I was using this amp in my garage.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks. Let me open and check. But this was working just fine till 12 hours back and how can this happen suddenly ? I did not even move it.

Actually I already have a new amp (Emotiva for music and Pioneer elite THX for Movies) and wanted to sell this on Ebay next week. I was using this amp in my garage.
In that case, it is probably time to just recycle the old amplifier (i.e., take it to a place that recycles old electronics, like Best Buy, rather than throw it in the trash where it will likely just end up in landfill).

It is common for things to fail suddenly. Until they fail, they work, so why would you expect things not to fail suddenly?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

The operative word is was. Any device that once worked and fails was working.

Electronic faults usually occur suddenly out of the blue.

Most likely you have burnt out power transistors. They short to ground when they fail always, and they almost always fail suddenly. This is the commonest reason power amps fail.

T

tvissoc

Audiophyte
In that case, it is probably time to just recycle the old amplifier (i.e., take it to a place that recycles old electronics, like Best Buy, rather than throw it in the trash where it will likely just end up in landfill).
Or, recycle it to someone that likes fixing old gear. Especially high-quality vintage stuff.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Or, recycle it to someone that likes fixing old gear. Especially high-quality vintage stuff.
That's what I did with mine. There's a kid in town who likes to repair vintage gear as a hobby. I sold him my old working Pioneer SX-990 really cheap because I really didn't have a use for it and he gets to enjoy it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis