L

LewisCuff

Audiophyte
Hi I'm a massive audio noob,

I usually have my speakers plugged into my computer and stopping feedback with a ground loop isolator, however I'm taking my speakers to a party so I needed an aux. I brought an aux to tlr cable which goes into a balance input? I works and sounds fine however in only one of the speakers there is an annoying feedback sound. I begins when I plug the phone in and gets quieter until it stops which is fine. However at random unpredictable moments it makes a very loud feedback sound which comes on and off whenever it likes and i was wondering if there was a (hopefully free) way to fix this.

Thanks v much, Lewis

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Well, for one a good way to avoid ground loops is to plug your stuff into the same power source our outlet thereby negating the need to use a ground loop isolator. I have to do this in my home studio to avoid that annoying hum coming from my near field monitors. Only place I've ever had to use a ground loop isolator is in my truck stereo but that's a different animal. But now that you're mobile I assume that your components are all plugged into maybe a single power strip? At any rate the feedback sound and intermittent nature of it seems more like a bad connection or bad cable issue perhaps. I'm also guessing you meant XLR not TLR? So in other words a standard 1/8" plug on one end that goes into your phone and an XLR connector on the other? Is the feedback affected by movement of the phone/cable? If so I'd try swapping out that cable, and ensuring you're connecting everything to the same power source since you're essentially running an unbalanced connection along the whole signal path (Unbalanced to balanced = unbalanced). Oh, if the speakers (I'm assuming they are powered speakers and you're not running them through an amplifier?) have an unbalanced input on them just connect directly to that and skip the balanced connection entirely.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Also, if you're just playing music off your phone try turning it on to airplane mode to avoid any interference from the phone's transceiver itself unless you're streaming music off Pandora, etc. In which case that would not work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis