Need help picking a new sub

M

mcharb007

Audiophyte
I recently bought two martin logan electromotion esl speakers. The speakers came with a ML Dynamo 700w sub. Prior to this sub the only sub experience I have had is with my elemental designs a2-300. My room is about 3500-3700cu ft and is open to a kitchen and dining room that is approximately another 3500cu ft. I have been comparing the two subs that I have now and the ML sub is sounding way better than the eD sub. Not only does it dig deeper and have more output for movies, but it is so much better with music. The eD was always lacking with music. That being said, I am running this little ML sub to the edge in my size room and need something bigger and better. The levels that this sub is playing at in my room is making the sub "walk". Since this sealed sub has exceeded my expectations, I am now confused about whether I should replace it with a sealed or ported unit. I probably use for 60HT/40music. I want something powerful enough to get low on movies but sound good with music too. I have been looking at SVS, Rythmik and to a lesser extent PSA but don't know if I should be looking at sealed or ported. Please help!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Since you like the sound of the Dynamo, maybe pick up a second one?

For music - sealed is what you're going to want IMHO. For that much space, I'd say you're probably going to want to look at Rythmik F15HP, PSA XS-30, HSU ULS 15, and SVS, you're probably looking at an Ultra.

M

mcharb007

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply, the more I think about it, the more I think you are right and I should be leaning towards a sealed unit. I don't think I will add a second dynamo since I would like a little more extension. Due to this I'm leaning towards models with bigger drivers.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I gotta second what J says. ML makes a good sub for the $

DJ

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'd sell the ML and definitely consider subs from HSU/Reaction Audio/PSA/etc.

M

mcharb007

Audiophyte
Kew-- just finish reading that review. I'm thinking I may drive to Austin to check out rythmik's line of subs. It's good that they are a couple hours away but sucks that I have to pay shipping and tax.

Phillip-- definitely. I already have a buyer for the martin logan. Now I just need to find a buyer for the eD sub.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Kew-- just finish reading that review. I'm thinking I may drive to Austin to check out rythmik's line of subs. It's good that they are a couple hours away but sucks that I have to pay shipping and tax.

Phillip-- definitely. I already have a buyer for the martin logan. Now I just need to find a buyer for the eD sub.
Well, if you can drive there, you might be able to save on shipping!
I think the F15HP may be a slightly better consideration than the E15HP. Same driver and amp, but larger cabinet yields better output. The guys at Rythmik can give advise on that. The F15 was the original design and the E15 was as a response to people wanting a more compact form factor.

The great thing about your being able to go there and check them out, is you have experienced the sound you prefer (ML) and have an idea of what to listen for.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can consider the ported ultra and the HSU VTF-15H. Though vented, they can be selectively tuned to get you sort of the best of both worlds. I still prefer sealed for music personally though.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Holy crap! I didn't know Rhythmik was just right up the road from me. I can get there in less than 2 hours.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Don't go unless you are ready to lose the SB12pluses! BTDT!;)
Actually, I may be leaning in that direction - not right at this time, but down the road. I dunno, I'm still kicking it around - maybe kicking a little harder now that I know I won't have to spring for shipping.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the reply, the more I think about it, the more I think you are right and I should be leaning towards a sealed unit. I don't think I will add a second dynamo since I would like a little more extension. Due to this I'm leaning towards models with bigger drivers.
That sounds like a good approach.
I thought you may be interested in this thread since the guy also has electrostatic speakers.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/anybody-familiar-with-rythmik-subs.92918/

IMHO, a key statement in this thread is
"the sealed is desired, for a non resonant blend with the mains as ESLs are non resonant."

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis