Need help on finding uber simple sound

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
In a nut shell, in-laws got a new plasma. Jon had been asking me about getting one, but was not sure what to get. I ended up going out shopping with him and we ended up at HH Gregg buying a Samsung 52" plasma. I don't remember model number, but it was about $699.00. I got him a mount from Monoprice, mounted it up, they love it.
Next, we went shopping for a Bluray player. We got a nice compact Sony for about $80.00, at HH Gregg, with WiFi. I hooked that up for them. They wanted the NetFlix streaming, I set them up, showed them how to use it. Then the confusion started. Too many remotes.
I get calls once in a while "how do we get to the Bluray?", or "what channel is the cable on?". We sort of have the kinks ironed out now, but;
Now Jon wants a better sound experience. I'm not sure what to do. Ideally, I would get them a Onkyo SR302, 3 front small speakers and a small sub, and they would be happy with it, but I don't want them to have issues with remotes and god forbid, hitting a wrong button and not being able to navigate back. My other option is a sound bar, directly off the TV's spidf and problem solved, but I have never listened to one. Any one have a recommendation on some, with sub? Keep in mind, this thing doesn't need to crank at loud volumes, just give decent sound, at a decent price.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Solution to remotes:
Amazon.com: Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote: Electronics
- fairly easy for you to setup
- has a dedicated help button. push "watch tv" and the tv didn't come on? press help and it asks you what's not working right and corrects the problem.
It's a bit of an investment, but it would be able to adapt with pretty much anything you/they throw at it equipment wise.

That would free you up to choose whatever sound system you wanted. As far as sound bars go, I think Samsung makes a pretty decent one, as well as yamaha.

Amazon.com: Samsung HW-E450 Wireless AirTrack Sound Bar: Electronics
Amazon.com: Yamaha YAS-101BL Front Surround System, Piano Black: Electronics

Or what about a set of powered bookshelf speakers? Something like the Audioengine A2's? Would you be able to control the output volume of the tv and leave them at a constant level? Not sure how that works exactly..
Amazon.com: Audioengine A2 Premium Powered Desktop Speakers - Pair (Black): Computers & Accessories

Or this cheaper Eagle Tech 2.1 system might be just a little more oomph than their tv speakers. Comes with a handy little remote too..
Amazon.com: Eagle Tech ET-AR504LR-BK 2.1 Soundstage Speakers with Subwoofer & Remote: Electronics

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I will second this...

The issue is that someone thought buying a bunch of different stuff would somehow work easier, instead, it gets more complex. What you need is a GOOD universal remote. The less tech savvy the people are, the better the remote control needs to be. RF remotes ALWAYS trump IR remotes, and a good control system remote will just blow away a Logitech/URC model, but will cost proportionally more. Most people I have spoken to like URC remotes more than Harmony, but they are more difficult to program and cost more than Harmony.

So, start with a Harmony remote. YOU are likely to be the one programming it, so plan on spending several hours (or more) going through it and tweaking it for them to use as easily as possible.

Fortunately, your gear is really universal remote compatible.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I've never been a soundbar fan, but I've heard atlantic technology's new soundbar is quite nice :)

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Solution to remotes:
Amazon.com: Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote: Electronics
- fairly easy for you to setup
- has a dedicated help button. push "watch tv" and the tv didn't come on? press help and it asks you what's not working right and corrects the problem.
It's a bit of an investment, but it would be able to adapt with pretty much anything you/they throw at it equipment wise.

That would free you up to choose whatever sound system you wanted. As far as sound bars go, I think Samsung makes a pretty decent one, as well as yamaha.

Amazon.com: Samsung HW-E450 Wireless AirTrack Sound Bar: Electronics
Amazon.com: Yamaha YAS-101BL Front Surround System, Piano Black: Electronics

Or what about a set of powered bookshelf speakers? Something like the Audioengine A2's? Would you be able to control the output volume of the tv and leave them at a constant level? Not sure how that works exactly..
Amazon.com: Audioengine A2 Premium Powered Desktop Speakers - Pair (Black): Computers & Accessories

Or this cheaper Eagle Tech 2.1 system might be just a little more oomph than their tv speakers. Comes with a handy little remote too..
Amazon.com: Eagle Tech ET-AR504LR-BK 2.1 Soundstage Speakers with Subwoofer & Remote: Electronics
I think the Samsung would be the best solution, same brand as tv would be ideal for volume control. I like the separate sub, which is also wireless which gives lots of options for placement. Price looks right, not a lot of pieces, simple to use. Looks like a box store brand which be helpful in that I may be able to audition it. The Eagle tech looked okay, but it had horrible reviews, but, you get what you pay for. Thanks for the input.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I will second this...

The issue is that someone thought buying a bunch of different stuff would somehow work easier, instead, it gets more complex. What you need is a GOOD universal remote. The less tech savvy the people are, the better the remote control needs to be. RF remotes ALWAYS trump IR remotes, and a good control system remote will just blow away a Logitech/URC model, but will cost proportionally more. Most people I have spoken to like URC remotes more than Harmony, but they are more difficult to program and cost more than Harmony.

So, start with a Harmony remote. YOU are likely to be the one programming it, so plan on spending several hours (or more) going through it and tweaking it for them to use as easily as possible.

Fortunately, your gear is really universal remote compatible.
I agree with you on the universal, but the dollar factor is looming. I know whats needed, but I don't want to go crazy with it. I can only imagine the earful I would get from my mother-in-law if Jon spent a few hundred bucks on a remote, in a Brooklyn accent no less.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Cobra I can hardly read your posts as your GIF is just so distracting. God that is grotesque!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with you on the universal, but the dollar factor is looming. I know whats needed, but I don't want to go crazy with it. I can only imagine the earful I would get from my mother-in-law if Jon spent a few hundred bucks on a remote, in a Brooklyn accent no less.
I've programmed a number of Logitech, and I think it's a royal PITA. All the more so when you are helping others, driving over, realizing they could be doing this themsleves, etc. Also, the entry levels ones, at least back in the day, are just the cheapest pieces of crap man. Seriously, ugh. Maybe they've gotten better, but even those costing a couple of bills totally sucked. They had cradle issues too at the time, etc. I'm sure it's better now.

But anyway, if you do the Harmony remote, I suggest you write out a plan of attack on troubleshooting; a trouble shooting guide that he MUST try before calling you. BTW, this is experience talking.

Depending on the number of macros and devices, and I'm guessing few here, I actually like having the person click the power on of each device individually for any given macro. If just a couple of source devices, it may be doable, you'll have to strategically choose the buttons for power.

As you can tell, I hate macros that get out of sync with power. If you don't want to throw a bunch of components unnecessary on/off strikes on the Harmony of course you go to devices, scroll to the power, get back to your macro, hopefully on the same page again. I like the individual power up because even a noob knows what needs to be turned on or off. He sees it's not, clicks the power button for it.

Anyway, that's just an idea, but you can still setup a macro with URC, which is what I recommend based not only on my pains of the past with Harmony, but because it is a great value. This one here is built more solidly than any Harmony I've played with, and it's only $20.

http://www.amazon.com/URC-Universal-Control-Components-Favorite/dp/B001KC08A4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358992578&sr=1-1

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
People complain abut remotes, then want to make their system more complex...

Don't let them put you in this spot. It's stupid. Flat out.

If they want to use their system, and they want it to be simple, then you MUST have a decent customizable remote control. It doesn't have to be a few hundred. The URC linked above isn't, and there are Harmony remotes that are well under 100 bucks as well.

You compromise an entire system when you don't have a good remote that the family can use. Yeah, I typically go with a $500+ remote system, but that's in a custom install $10,000 setup.

Once you have the decent remote, then get a quality setup for audio. Pick one that works well, not one that 'matches'. The remote will handle 100% everything for them and will allow completely simple use whether it be a $500 receiver/speakers setup or a $20,000 system. Soundbars are quite often the most complex pieces to use because their very cheap design often leads to quirky behavior and extremely low overall quality and reliability. An Onkyo system would be far better, and there are better options out there as well.

JOSTEN: The gear he currently has should all have discrete on/off commands. So a macro would push "POWER ON" for every device as part of the sequence, or you would just hit the 'POWER ON' button which would turn every device on in one shot. Repeating power on commands with products that include discrete power on, means that you don't ever end up turning them off and getting out of sync. It just repeats the same command: POWER ON. Then when the system is powered off, it runs through a different series of POWER OFF commands. Once again, it can run through this series twice to ensure all gear is properly powered off reliably.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
JOSTEN: The gear he currently has should all have discrete on/off commands. So a macro would push "POWER ON" for every device as part of the sequence, or you would just hit the 'POWER ON' button which would turn every device on in one shot. Repeating power on commands with products that include discrete power on, means that you don't ever end up turning them off and getting out of sync. It just repeats the same command: POWER ON. Then when the system is powered off, it runs through a different series of POWER OFF commands. Once again, it can run through this series twice to ensure all gear is properly powered off reliably.
Sounds good. I didn't even look at the equipment being controlled, I just assumed that fully discrete on/off codes were usually not available at entry level types of budget, for the rigs most people compile. I for one have never programmed a remote for a system that has discrete codes top to bottom, this also includes my present HT and stereo systems as well. I totally agree that having discrete codes A to Z makes this WAY EASIER! :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sounds good. I didn't even look at the equipment being controlled, I just assumed that fully discrete on/off codes were usually not available at entry level types of budget, for the rigs most people compile. I for one have never programmed a remote for a system that has discrete codes top to bottom, this also includes my present HT and stereo systems as well. I totally agree that having discrete codes A to Z makes this WAY EASIER! :)
It is something I always try to consider with products. Panasonic products and Sony products almost all have discrete codes across the board. So, Panasonic DMP-BDT220 does (for sure). Sony TVs, Panny TVs, Samsung TVs, and VIZIO TVs all have discrete codes (on/off input select). I feel like my cheap old Kenwood HTiB kit had discrete codes. Not sure about Sanyo. DirecTV and Dish I believe both have discrete codes, most cable boxes do not, but only require you to press 'MENU' to turn them on.

www.remotecentral.com has the hookup for information on products and manufacturers with good remote control codes and functionality which will simplify a system. It's an excellent resource for that specific type of information as it can streamline a system that might otherwise be comparible to other systems. So, two systems that someone may be considering, one may just be more controllable, which makes it more usable for some people.

Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer definitely include discrete everything on their products, so I would expect similar from Onkyo, but that's not a guarantee.

Philips - You know, the guys who basically invented good remote controls with their Pronto? - They do NOT have discrete codes on almost any of their products. Talk about a failed company mentality!

I care a great deal about controllability, but I consider that part of a good product. Most Panasonic and Samsung products include RS-232 control, which is also something that I consider important.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis