need help hooking up ps3 and ps4 to receiver...

U

usher

Enthusiast
i have my ps3 running with digital optical but i want to hook them both with digital optical cable but only have 1 input on the receiver. i see some splitter switches but some have mixed reviews? any recommendations? do them hook up with the optical cable into receiver and optical cables into switch or can i run both hdmi into tv then tv digital optical into the receiver? would this make me have to always have home theatre on to have sound watching basic tv? i only have home theatre on when using ps3 etc. and just tv speakers for basic tv.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
What kind of reciever do you have? hdmi should be your first choice. Does it have hdmi? need a lot more information.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
does ot have hdmi in's though? ideally you will plug all of your hdmi components into the receiver... and then plug the receiver to the tv via the hdmi out. then you will use the receiver to switch sources.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Could you post the receiver model? Would help a lot.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver will work. Since you are already limited by the fact that you are using optical in the first place, this won't be much worse than optical to the AVR. With this method, depending on the TV, yes, you may have to have the AVR on all the time. That's how I have my parent's system setup because their AVR does not have HDMI either and they do have to have the AVR on because the only setting to get the sound on the AVR shuts off the TV's speakers.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
He is probably using one of those HTIB systems. HTIB receivers have a very limited number of connections.

If his TV can pass Dolby Digital out of its optical out connection, then he can run HDMI from both Playstations directly to the TV. That way the sound can be send to the receiver via optical.

Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
Agree wqith Lulimet in this case. Sounds like a HTIB system to me. Its what we currently have int he living rooma nd I am just glad our current VIZIO 42" has Dolby Digital out on the Optical out. After get the new house built and what not I am planing on replacing that system with a dedicated AVR+Speakers. I will also be grabbing a Soundbar for at least my bedroom since I will end up getting the Vizio 42" and we will be getting a 60" for the livingroom. At least thats the current plan here.

To help we need the current model of HDTV to know for sure if it has Dolby Digital on the optical out otherwise a Optical Audio Switch will be needed if the HTIB only has a single optical input. If the HDTV is able to output Dolby Digital via optical output you are set and just need to enable it in the options. it it does not and only handles PCM Stereo out then you need another $30 optical switch to do the audio switching for you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis